Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:54 pm

[5] Should I apply for more than 1 Citi card together?
You can only apply for ONE citi card in a day.

[6] How long should I wait before applying again? 2 weeks? 2 months?
It doesn't matter as long as you're following two rules:

-Only 1 Citi application of any kind per week (at least 8 days to be safe, but some people are being denied even after 8 days, so the longer you can wait, the safer it might be).
Has anyone had success applying for the same card eight days later? Im hoping to take advantage of the 60k bonus and start a constant churn.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by fishll
Has anyone had success applying for the same card eight days later? Im hoping to take advantage of the 60k bonus and start a constant churn.
"No more than 2 Citi applications of any kind in 60 days (65 days to be safe)."

Unless Citi extends the offer past 8/31 you will only be able to get two 60K cards.

Since you can only get 2 cards regardless of if you apply again in 8 days IMO there is no reason to push the limits, get one card now and another card in a few weeks.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishll
If you haven't applied for any other Citi cards in a couple months, you can apply once for a second card 8+ days later. But for your third card, you have to wait 65ish days from the first card. So the "8 days" is not repeatable back to back.

So unless this offer gets extended, it's impossible at this point (less than a month before the offer is scheduled to end) to do a "constant" churn at 60k.

However, for years the offer has been 50k, so you could do a fairly "constant" churn of that (assuming it continues to stay around), at the limit of one about every 33 days (on average). But: If you keep up that high a rate of "constant" churn, you better not be applying for much else (even from other banks), as that by itself will get you very close to Citi's typical "no more than 6 inquiries in the past 6 months" limit (inquiries = hard pulls).

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Good luck but I doubt it would automatically show up when your second statement is closed.

emmpee would have a better chance to see his bonus than you now he seems to get a case opened at HHonor side.
FYI
my Citi(Hilton) statement closed yesterday and 60k bonus points and spend are now on Hilton acct
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: N/A
Is there any reason why most people choose this over the reserve?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just applied for my 6th card and will get it later this week. All cards are open, mostly because when I tried to close a couple earlier this year, they offered me a small bonus that made a no-fee card worth keeping. Just barely.
I had my 5th get denied because of too many "similar cards" and too much citi credit.
closed one
lowered my CLs on cards I do not use.
planning to reapply but not sure when yet.
any thoughts on when would be good? how far after denial
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
FYI
my Citi(Hilton) statement closed yesterday and 60k bonus points and spend are now on Hilton acct
Nice, thanks for the update. It looks like the 2 people here who had problems were just isolated issues.

Hopefully Citi and Hilton straighten it out soon for them.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Is there any reason why most people choose this over the reserve?
No annual fee, constant churn of points
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by aeneas3
I had my 5th get denied because of too many "similar cards" and too much citi credit.
closed one
lowered my CLs on cards I do not use.
planning to reapply but not sure when yet.
any thoughts on when would be good? how far after denial
So you had 4 Hilton Visa cards open when you applied for # 5 ?

How much combined credit ( Hilton, American, etc) did you have at Citi prior to lowering limits and cancelling cards ?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:22 pm

A reminder to all: there's really no need to do several separate posts in rapid succession responding to other posters. The handy "multi-quote" icon -- featuring a big quote mark & a plus sign -- at the bottom right of each post allows you to select more than one post to quote in a single response.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
A reminder to all: there's really no need to do several separate posts in rapid succession responding to other posters. The handy "multi-quote" icon -- featuring a big quote mark & a plus sign -- at the bottom right of each post allows you to select more than one post to quote in a single response.

Some people don't read every post and then respond. I read a post and then respond to it.

If we were able to delete posts I would have deleted and then made it all one post.

After you make one reply you have the choice of not replying or making separate posts.

Why not get the forum owner(s) to add a delete post feature for 15 minutes after a new post is made ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 5, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm on card #14 and currently have 4 open. I book my vacations well in advance and stay at the same Florida property several times per year so every time I hit 190K I book an AXON 7
Hi, Citi noob here. I tried searching through the thread, but it's really long, so my apologies if this is a FAQ.

How is this not killing your credit score? Either through a lot of hard pulls, or through having a lot of very short-term accounts that pull down your average open length? Do you just not apply for anything else? (or does closing a card take it off the average time computation? Hmm, that would explain it)

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jay103
How is this not killing your credit score? Either through a lot of hard pulls, or through having a lot of very short-term accounts that pull down your average open length? Do you just not apply for anything else?
Credit score is made up of a number of factors. Length of accounts is just one of them. More important are income, and amount of credit used. As you get more and more cards, the amount of your credit you use becomes smaller and smaller. ie If you have $10K of credit, and charge $10k a month, you are at 100% usage. But if you have $100k of credit, and spend $10 a month, you are only at 10% of usage. Running a basically zero balance by paying everything off before the monthly bill even posts helps as well.

Strange as it sounds, the more ccs you have, assuming you use them wisely, the better your credit rating becomes long term.

Of course, banks use more than credit rating to approve an app. There is a hard limit to how much credit a specific bank will give you, based on income and your personal history with that bank. And some banks, esp Citi, get worried if you have applied for too many ccs in the last 6 months. But even that is a YMMV situation.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Strange as it sounds, the more ccs you have, assuming you use them wisely, the better your credit rating becomes long term.
Thanks.. I mostly just thinking about those two factors -- recent pulls and short-term card accounts, but I guess they're really overwhelmed by the other stuff.

I've added a few Chase cards so far for United miles, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a hotel chain to the mix. Could use at least 200k points (and a couple of free passes) for sure in about 18 months.. Churning sounds like fun, though maybe I should wait until I get a couple more Chase cards before starting
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jay103
Hi, Citi noob here. I tried searching through the thread, but it's really long, so my apologies if this is a FAQ.

How is this not killing your credit score? Either through a lot of hard pulls, or through having a lot of very short-term accounts that pull down your average open length? Do you just not apply for anything else? (or does closing a card take it off the average time computation? Hmm, that would explain it)

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure of the exact ins and out of credit scores but I'm 45 and have never had a late payment or bounced check in my life. I pay every bill I get in full the day it arrives. I paid off a 15 year mortgage in 2 years. I have 0% car loan that I let run as it helps scores.

When I get any CC the first thing I do is lower the CL to $5K

My FICO today is around 800

I have never even had to go to reconsideration and move credit around as of yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.