Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi rental insurance coverage now PRIMARY (VISA only, NY excluded)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi rental insurance coverage now PRIMARY (VISA only, NY excluded)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
My Citi "Platinum Select AAdvantage" VISA is getting a new set of additional programs and services as of 15 October, according to a letter and its enclosed "Summary of Additional Program Information" (MV5635 09/10).

Reading the section Worldwide Auto Rental Insurance Coverage, it appears that, with the exception of NY Residents, these major changes will be in effect:
  • Insurance is PRIMARY (i.e. not in excess of other insurance you may already have)
  • There are no blacklisted countries
  • The coverage period has no maximum number of consecutive days
  • More types of cars are covered; for example, while they still won't pay out more than $50,000 worth, cars valued at over $50,000 are now covered
I am renting a Van in Toronto using AA miles. If I pay the taxes with this VISA, will they give me any insurance. My US insurance policy covers me while I am there. I am looking for primarily deductibles. Besides, perhaps it is advantage that in case, car rental, pick on me, I am covered.

I also have a few AMEX, Costco True earn (1% foreign transaction fee), Fidel AMES reward, BlueCash - would any of these serve the purpose better?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
My Citi "Platinum Select AAdvantage" VISA is getting a new set of additional programs and services as of 15 October, according to a letter and its enclosed "Summary of Additional Program Information" (MV5635 09/10).
Trying to figure out if this applies to my card. It's Citi AAdvantage Platinum Signature Visa, but not Platinum Select. I'm not able to find out anything about this non-Select variant, or whether it's even a different card. I even logged in to citi and looked at benefits, but it's not listed separately there either :-\
Old May 5, 2012, 7:13 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by philoertel
Trying to figure out if this applies to my card. It's Citi AAdvantage Platinum Signature Visa, but not Platinum Select. I'm not able to find out anything about this non-Select variant, or whether it's even a different card. I even logged in to citi and looked at benefits, but it's not listed separately there either :-\
Nevermind, it's the same card. I don't know why mine doesn't say "select" anywhere on the card, but some other documents I have do call it Select. This is great, I'm about to save sooo much money on a two week car rental in Spain.
Old May 7, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Can someone please direct me to where I can read the new Citi AAdvantage Platinum Signature Visa benefit terms online? TIA!
Old May 7, 2012, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The information at this link indicates that the CDW is secondary:

Worldwide Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance Coverage, which provides coverage in excess of other insurance, is underwritten by Federal Insurance Company, a member insurer of the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Not all vehicles are covered. Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...l-information/

I think you will have to request another copy of the printed booklet to read the details.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
When did CITI back pedal and change the Visa auto coverage to secondary?

Worldwide Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance Coverage, which provides coverage in excess of other insurance...

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ad...atSelectAAVisa

I've got a large credit on my Citi Plat. Visa and would like to use it to rent a car but won't if the coverage is only secondary. Am i missing something?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:50 pm

CDW isn't worldwide now, right? Excludes Jamaica Ireland Israel etc? Or am I wrong?

Last edited by aradisc; Oct 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.