Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CITI charges treated as cash advance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:16 am

Read the T&C that came with the card. If Citi classifies these as cash equivalents you will be charged a cash advance fee. No notice is required. If you don’t agree to their terms don’t use the card.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:15 pm

Just realized one of my gas station purchase has been treated as cash advance. My purchase total are less than the fee and interests combine.
Talked to the agent, Citi only agreed to remove the fee and adv fee, the interest for the purchase are not removable. This is ridicules.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by jc2011
Just realized one of my gas station purchase has been treated as cash advance. My purchase total are less than the fee and interests combine.
Talked to the agent, Citi only agreed to remove the fee and adv fee, the interest for the purchase are not removable. This is ridicules.
Never had such an experience. If you have the receipt, you could easily fight this and win. Might want to call Citi again and politely talk to a supervisor. If that fails, just let them know that you will be reporting this to the appropriate agency as well as contacting your lawyer. Their system messed it up and they have to correct it.

Needless to say, with the added agony and wasted time.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:21 am

I wonder...

Can I tell what would be treated as a cash advance from my online activity summary? I have new cards and haven't received a stmt yet, although I've been making numerous charges in an effort to meet the miles bonus spending threshold by the first stmt.

So far I just see the description of my charge and the date/amount. Anything I should look for?

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont understand HOW this can happen.

You did swipe a card for your gas station purchase, right?

For a card swipe transaction, unless one enters a PIN, the transaction is ALWAYS a credit card transaction even if you use a debit card to purchase and choose CREDIT for the transaction.

In fact this is the so-called Non PIN transaction on debit card to make it work like a credit card, and is a popular option to avoid monthly maintenance fee on many banks' checking account.

There is something to this story that I simply find it very difficult to get to the bottom of it without knowing exactly HOW you made the transaction - for it is near IMPOSSIBLE for this to happen if your purchase is made by card swipe and CREDIT is chosen.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You need to deal with someone other than a front line CSR for this type of problem. The agent is probably empowered to write off small fees just to keep a customer happy, but hasn't any authority to determine whether the charges are justified or not. If the merchant's card processor has miscoded the transactions it could affect a large number of customers, but there might not be many at any one bank.

How do you that the gasoline purchase is the specific transaction which was classified as a cash advance?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:14 am

No one is empowered anymore except executive who have the computers programed. Really sad. You are almost always talking with a person sitting in front of a computer that is programed to allow small credits and small exceptions based on customer history. Few people have power to fix anything anymore. That's what you get with tarp money. Big banks that tighten the screw on the small customers. Really sad. The sheep in this country need to stand up before they are all nickeled and dimed to death.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
oh, no...

I just used my Citi AA Biz card with serve!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz
oh, no...

I just used my Citi AA Biz card with serve!
Well, be sure to come back and report the outcome, won't you?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Crush627
I wonder...

Can I tell what would be treated as a cash advance from my online activity summary? I have new cards and haven't received a stmt yet, although I've been making numerous charges in an effort to meet the miles bonus spending threshold by the first stmt.

So far I just see the description of my charge and the date/amount. Anything I should look for?

Thanks.
Hate to bump this old thread, but I have the same question as the above poster. Can anyone comment on what a cash advance looks like from the citi Account Activity page? Will interest/fees show up during the month, or do I have to wait for the statement to see how a transaction is coded?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.