Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Getaways?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you log into the account on the Choice app, then click on your point balance and go to view “current activity”, you can scroll to the bottom to see each Daily Getaways package that has been added to the account with the Jun 28, 2023 date.
I guess the app is better than the website, which shows little detail and always has the scary message that I am forfeiting points.

My Account>See my Points Activity>

Points Forfeiting ..... PointsKeep your points active. Complete a qualifying activity by Jan 1, 2025.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This year's sales begin on April 15th with preview starting on April 8.
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo
This year's sales begin on April 15th with preview starting on April 8.
I don't think I'm in the market for more Choice points these days. I now find the Wyndham program is more lucrative for me and is easier to gin up points. Of course, a Choice redemption can still be the best (um) choice in certain situations, so I always make sure to have some Choice points (and could always transfer in some points from Citi Thank You). Does anyone know the price per point Choice is selling them this year on Daily Getaways? It seems like there's bee a modest creep up over the years.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iahphx
I don't think I'm in the market for more Choice points these days. I now find the Wyndham program is more lucrative for me and is easier to gin up points. Of course, a Choice redemption can still be the best (um) choice in certain situations, so I always make sure to have some Choice points
Where are you getting value from with Wyndham? All the hotels I used to book are now 30,000 points making it no longer worth it in most cases. And Vacasa is also dying.

Choice points in Scandinavia are still okay-ish value even with 16k per night. But apart from that, there are indeed not many sweet spots remaining, either.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:04 pm

This is the first time the bulk of my 84k purchased Choice points are still sitting in my account a year later (technically since June 2023). IHG points were the great value for me in AU and PL last year.
iahphx and delpiero223 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Where are you getting value from with Wyndham? All the hotels I used to book are now 30,000 points making it no longer worth it in most cases. And Vacasa is also dying.

Choice points in Scandinavia are still okay-ish value even with 16k per night. But apart from that, there are indeed not many sweet spots remaining, either.
Like all chains, there are good value redemptions and bad value redemptions. The wrinkle with Wyndham is that once a property goes into the 30K category, it is rarely worthwhile.

Vacasa has obviously been super valuable, especially during the pandemic when foreign travel was difficult. With the ever reduced cap, now at $250/bedroom, it's probably not going to be very useful at the high prices Vacasa properties generally list for. One bedrooms would seem particularly difficult to find and, in much of the country, you probably wouldn't find many 2-bedrooms that would be attractive at the cap.

If you're heading to the UK, Cottages.com may still have good value, but I will say the booking process at Wyndham is annoying and time consuming. The Frequent Miler has recently written about this. I've had good success in the past, but I'm curious to see what's actually bookable this year. In the rest of Europe, the Landal "vacation camps" seem potentially interesting (like in high-cost Switzerland), but I don't know anyone who's either booked or stayed in one, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Everything that's left is bookable direct on the Wyndham website. I've stayed at fancy all-inclusives in the Cancun area that are arguably a bargain at 30K for 2 (especially now that Hyatt has jacked up their Mexico award prices). Meanwhile, you can get tremendous value if you find a good "Club Wyndam" property (the generic name I give to all their many timeshare brands). Nobody seems to know when, where and why these brands pop up on the website, but they do often pop up. I think they always cost 15K per bedroom, but I'm not 100% sure. The 15K units -- some around 900 feet and "luxurious" -- are a bargain, especially in expensive places like Hawaii. I've never seen a complete list of locations, but they are in at least some foreign countries. I've stayed at a Club Wyndham on the South Island of New Zealand for 15K (and other decent Wyndham properties in that country where chain hotels are scarce).

As far as Wyndham's regular hotels go, most aren't great, but they're often the best redemption around. There are some decent 15K properties you'll come across, with daily rates going for about $200/night. And, right now for the Eclipse (and other special events) there are steals to be had in the Wyndham system. As long as the hotel doesn't cancel on you, you can get Eclipse motels that are selling rooms for $1000/night for 15K points! Wyndham's revenue management system doesn't seem sophisticated enough to adjust prices/cancellation penalties for these events.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:57 am

I'll still purchase, even though I'm finding far fewer good redemptions than I used to - just because I'm paying for far fewer Choice properties these days, and earn very few points organically. The inexpensive Florida properties I book for work were never terribly good or consistent, but now they're fairly consistently poor. I still 'need' choice points for particular regions and single night stays of convenience, but I can't make myself tolerate Choice properties regularly to earn those points anymore. The tolerable ones cost the same amount as the big guys, and I'd rather earn Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott nights if I'm paying the same price.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:07 pm

Last year the packages got snapped up very quickly.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
The 2024 offer has posted. It is identical to the 2022 offer, so an increase over 2023.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:10 am

I came to post a screen shot and link, so here's the link for April 29. https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/H...dex/2024-04-29
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Choice offer is a reasonable deal if you are a very frequent traveller who doesn't mind not staying in 4 star hotels (or want to chase the few "nice" hotels the Choice program offers).You can often get a 35% or better discount -- sometimes a 50% discount -- over published rates plus tax.

I've never really participated in the Best Western program. I recall they sometimes have good promotions. They'd be an alternative for me if there wasn't any other good-value chain award offer available in the area I wanted to stay. Is there any reason to buy their points, or is the deal not good enough?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:34 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I've never really participated in the Best Western program. I recall they sometimes have good promotions. They'd be an alternative for me if there wasn't any other good-value chain award offer available in the area I wanted to stay. Is there any reason to buy their points, or is the deal not good enough?
BW points don’t expire and are freely transferable. I have not seen much if any value in redemptions beyond the cents per point they are charging here. Dynamic pricing removed the value. Paying cash is simpler and almost as cheap. Also you use Venture X travel credit booking a BW or Choice hotel.

When I use up my last BW points I will be done with them. I already did so for Choice after moving those points to United.

Many years ago one could use BW points and Choice points to top off a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass. No more.
iahphx likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
BW points don’t expire and are freely transferable. I have not seen much if any value in redemptions beyond the cents per point they are charging here. Dynamic pricing removed the value. Paying cash is simpler and almost as cheap. Also you use Venture X travel credit booking a BW or Choice hotel.

When I use up my last BW points I will be done with them. I already did so for Choice after moving those points to United.

Many years ago one could use BW points and Choice points to top off a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass. No more.
Thanks. I didn't realize BW had also gone to dynamic pricing. In that case, it would seem pointless for me to buy these points.
Surprised by your dislike of Choice. They have often weird award pricing, but it's not dynamic, and there are sometimes sizeable savings buying points at Getaways pricing vs. paying cash for your room. There are now other ways to get Choice points (like transferring from Citi) and I don't think they have a great program, but I do find myself using my Choice points a few times a year. I would agree that unless you are a very frequent traveller (especially to locations without other chain choices), it's not worth "speculatively" buying their points.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:45 pm

The Choice offer is a reasonable deal if you are a very frequent traveller who doesn't mind not staying in 4 star hotels (or want to chase the few "nice" hotels the Choice program offers).You can often get a 35% or better discount -- sometimes a 50% discount -- over published rates plus tax.
I agree, especially in Japan.
Choice point requirements are creeping up, but then again, newer properties are appearing and they are nicer than the old ones.
Since cash rates fluctuate greatly, it pays to do your homework. Sometimes, cash prices beat even the cheap Choice points I buy via Getaways, and other times, the points are the better deal.
iahphx and boxo like this.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 pm

Strong dollar also makes massive points purchase much less appealing

Around 2008-2009 , I used my “ Bush Pesos” to buy about 600,000 points in daily getaway.

now with the strength of the dollar, I’m a only seeing a 20-25% discount over paying cash.
pre 2010 , it was a 70% discount to paying cash. Maybe even more on occasion.

And you got a “light supper”.
For 25% discount, I’m not going overboard and planning my entire Monday around buying a fiat currency where the issuing bank ( Choice) controls the rules and the game.

Is it just me or does Scandanavia not look at as appealing?
higher point redemption, strong dollar.
even a “ light supper “ is not as valuable.
oh wait, wow and I can choose where I want to stay and not be captive to choice properties!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.