Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Late Check Out Request Response: am I pulling teeth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 10:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Choice/Best Western

12 year CP\ 6 Year CC holder- current Plat- Believe me, I am the last one to hope and pray for special attention and realize the status levels are pretty much useless. I am currently in the midst of a 10 day road trip with new stays each night at various levels of Choice locations. Of my past 8 nights, I have asked for a noon check out; not even really needing them, but nice to have to avoid feeling rushed and so the wife can sleep in should she want to. On my past few nights upon request, some replies from the front desk have been the following:

1. well, check out is at 11 after all, ya know
2. let me check with my manager and see if i need to charge you for it
3.give us a call around 11 and we can see if this is possible
4. I am not sure if we can, let me see if we have any late check outs available.

On my own internal response, I fully acknowledge:
1. yes, it is simply a request and not a guarantee, but am I really asking that much?
2. along with CP status, cant you at least pretend that I am 'valued'?

Only two of the 8 even offered me snacks at check in, and only one aconowledged me as a cp'er.

It is to be known that they were all granted on the late c\o, it just made me feel guilty about it.

Let me know your thoughts and any experiences such as this alongside if I am simply being out of line for expecting a simple request to be granted (note- all special requests had the hour later check out listed as well, not one acknowledged it)
Old May 30, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gburn07
12 year CP\ 6 Year CC holder- current Plat- Believe me, I am the last one to hope and pray for special attention and realize the status levels are pretty much useless. I am currently in the midst of a 10 day road trip with new stays each night at various levels of Choice locations. Of my past 8 nights, I have asked for a noon check out; not even really needing them, but nice to have to avoid feeling rushed and so the wife can sleep in should she want to. On my past few nights upon request, some replies from the front desk have been the following:

1. well, check out is at 11 after all, ya know
2. let me check with my manager and see if i need to charge you for it
3.give us a call around 11 and we can see if this is possible
4. I am not sure if we can, let me see if we have any late check outs available.

On my own internal response, I fully acknowledge:
1. yes, it is simply a request and not a guarantee, but am I really asking that much?

Only two of the 8 even offered me snacks at check in, and only one aconowledged me as a cp'er.

It is to be known that they were all granted on the late c\o, it just made me feel guilty about it.

Let me know your thoughts and any experiences such as this alongside if I am simply being out of line for expecting a simple request to be granted (note- all special requests had the hour later check out listed as well, not one acknowledged it)
Unfortunately, Choice is one of those chains in my experience that really leans on the "if available" on late check out requests. Even during the pandemic when there really shouldn't have been any issue with this with light occupancy levels, none of the hotels I used made a late checkout easy. I agree with you--a request for something later than 11 a.m. shouldn't be a huge deal, but I suspect that Choice does not always get the best folks working their front desks. I hate to believe that because I stay in their properties a lot, but on the other hand, I stay in their properties a lot, and I'm generally satisfied when I get a friendly person at check in who even notices my status level. No upgrades, no late checkout generally approved, nothing.

I'm not much of a status person, but honest to goodness Choice, this is an area where you seriously need some work. When the hotel's full, I get there won't be much aid given to your customers with status. But when your hotels are not full--even outside a pandemic where I might understand that there's an accompanying lessening of staff numbers--your training really should emphasize that that's the time to offer benefits to the folks who are showing their loyalty by staying in your properties.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:08 am

Wow, I am impressed that you got your status recognized the one time. Plat as well and I think the one time I was acknowledged was the electronic sign in the elevator with my first name and initial but not at the desk.
What about the reserved parking space that's for Gold and above? LOL
Not too worried that I won't make status this year as we have yet to restart travel.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Absolutely not, as it is clearly written as a benefit, even on request. So a request on membership benefit is not too much. However, in CP's defense, how many people, members or not, will actually ask for late check-out? Still, it is CP's fault not to recognize a benefit.

I am inclined to say no. CP could be a nice program. However, keep in mind many participating brands/hotels are not high-ended. So I won't expect too much from these hotels.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Choice/Best Western
garykung , spot on and agreed with both responses. They were more rhetorical in sense that clearly, I am not asking anything out of bounds for extras. Most check ins were later in the evening, so even common sense would have it nice for an extra hour during my 11 p.m check in to be a great plus

Also true in the variance of staff quality. Of this trip:

4 Econo Lodges
1 Rodeway
1 Sleep
1 Comfort
3 Quality

All had decent reviews from the start, including staff. The Rodeway and Sleep locations blew the others out of the water with the staff professionalism. They were also two very middle of nowhere locations, which many times I see a greater wanting to please the guest over the busier city\suburban locations where staff feel more or less *there*.

I always hope for better treatment opposed to me booking third party, but if not for these awesome CP promos (40,000) bonus points on this trip alone, I would certainly think twice on my loyalty with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.