Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on Stockholm, SE hotels Booked on Points, w/ infants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Hello all! Looking to learn some more information on Choice hotels for a Scandinavian trip my wife and I have coming up with our infant (1.5 year old). We'll be traveling to Stockholm and Copenhagen, and looking to book award travel and came across Choice Hotels, which I'm relatively new at. I have a large number of Amex points that can transfer to Choice, but looking to understand the intricacies of the chain to choose hotels. Travel dates are 5/15-5/19 in Stockholm.

I understand award availability isn't shown until 100 days prior (looks like I'll be booking the hotel no earlier than early February). Is there a way to confirm # of points per night ahead of time? I see the hotels have their costs shown on each hotels website for the range of dates for mid-week and weekend nights, but is that just for a standard room? Are non-standard rooms available to be booked with points? Ideally, we would like to use points to book a larger room to ensure room for a rollaway crib.

Is there a way to determine award availability if I don't have enough points to perform a search? That way I can determine total cost before committing to transfer points from American Express. Or is it safe to assume that it will be the stated price (10k points for example for the Clarion Sign), and just a matter of if there is availability (which can be determined by not seeing "SOLD OUT" on the award search page?

Thanks for your help all!

If anyone has recommendations for a hotel in Stockholm that particularly caters well towards travel with families, that would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:13 am

Points in Scandinavia don't seem to rise and fall with the seasons, so what you see now should be what is in effect later.

The Clarion Collection hotels in Sweden/Norway seem to include a free nice dinner (in addition to breakfast). Tripadvisor reviews say the Wellington Clarion Collection does.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Clarion Collection Wellington is a much more expensive property in points than the Clarion Sign. Whether or not the additional point cost is worth it or not for the light included supper depends on personal preference with regard to travel habits/purpose. The breakfasts are about comparable for both of these hotels.

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Hello all! Looking to learn some more information on Choice hotels for a Scandinavian trip my wife and I have coming up with our infant (1.5 year old). We'll be traveling to Stockholm and Copenhagen, and looking to book award travel and came across Choice Hotels, which I'm relatively new at. I have a large number of Amex points that can transfer to Choice, but looking to understand the intricacies of the chain to choose hotels. Travel dates are 5/15-5/19 in Stockholm.

I understand award availability isn't shown until 100 days prior (looks like I'll be booking the hotel no earlier than early February). Is there a way to confirm # of points per night ahead of time? I see the hotels have their costs shown on each hotels website for the range of dates for mid-week and weekend nights, but is that just for a standard room? Are non-standard rooms available to be booked with points? Ideally, we would like to use points to book a larger room to ensure room for a rollaway crib.

Is there a way to determine award availability if I don't have enough points to perform a search? That way I can determine total cost before committing to transfer points from American Express. Or is it safe to assume that it will be the stated price (10k points for example for the Clarion Sign), and just a matter of if there is availability (which can be determined by not seeing "SOLD OUT" on the award search page?

Thanks for your help all!

If anyone has recommendations for a hotel in Stockholm that particularly caters well towards travel with families, that would be much appreciated!
The Clarion Sign has the highest number of rooms capable of handling a rollaway bed of any of the Choice hotels in Stockholm. The breakfast there is very good. The hotel has been priced at 10k points/night for many years and it's the year-round price in points. At this hotel, you can book a larger room type that can handle an occupancy of 3 (or sometimes even 4) people with rollaway beds for that 10k points/night cost, but you should probably add such details also in the special requests/comment field when making the booking and then confirming it with front-desk at check-in.

Using the Choice cash+points method, you can book rooms for $30+6k points/night at this hotel and select a room capable of handling 3-4 people with rollaway beds.

There are some weekends in May where the hotel does sell out, usually due to some big conferences eating up most of the rooms in Stockholm, so I do suggest booking as soon as the 100 day window opens to make the booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.