Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Choice BRG - SCAM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Curious how this resolves. Keep us informed.

And @ChoiceHotels, yet another example of the shoddy service your franchises provide and why you need to do something to make it possible to escalate issues like this to you...
Thank you for notifying Choice Hotel agent, as my case was escalated with the executive office, and my reservation was eventually relocated to a hotel of my choice in the nearby area of my original hotel location. I received a reward night stay (i.e. a regular room), instead of my original suite which costs over US$300, but I did not pursue further and accepted the offer to settle the matter.
There was nothing wrong with BRG team in my case, and they approved my claim as per T&C. The issue was the member hotel who did not adhere to the Corporate office policy and cancel my reservation without valid reason. Not only the hotel manager called me directly and interrogated my motive of staying at their hotel, the hotel owner also wrote me an email (from his personal email) to basically tell me that if I'm interested to stay at their hotel, I should book like any other loyal PAYING customer. Both of these individuals acted extremely unprofessional. I hope Choice Hotel will act on this or else they will continue mistreat other Choice Hotel customers. I'm glad this is finally over.
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ricedion
Thank you for notifying Choice Hotel agent, as my case was escalated with the executive office, and my reservation was eventually relocated to a hotel of my choice in the nearby area of my original hotel location. I received a reward night stay (i.e. a regular room), instead of my original suite which costs over US$300, but I did not pursue further and accepted the offer to settle the matter.
There was nothing wrong with BRG team in my case, and they approved my claim as per T&C. The issue was the member hotel who did not adhere to the Corporate office policy and cancel my reservation without valid reason. Not only the hotel manager called me directly and interrogated my motive of staying at their hotel, the hotel owner also wrote me an email (from his personal email) to basically tell me that if I'm interested to stay at their hotel, I should book like any other loyal PAYING customer. Both of these individuals acted extremely unprofessional. I hope Choice Hotel will act on this or else they will continue mistreat other Choice Hotel customers. I'm glad this is finally over.
Thanks for the follow-up. I hope @ChoiceHotels is listening, as this kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable and should not be allowed by their franchisees.

Unless Choice can absolutely tighten up the reins on their licensees, I still think there needs to be an alternate escalation path that works, especially for elite Choice Privileges members.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:39 pm

that's so true, they just deny me use this ridiculous reason I checked Choice website have 4 King room type (not like the rep mentioned 3), King, King Accessible, King Large unit, King Suite

Thank you for your interest in participating in our Lowest Price Guarantee program. The competing website information you submitted for does not clarify the same room type as your room reservation at www.choicehotels.com or one of our brand websites.

If you booked the “1 King Bed, No Smoking Free Hot Breakfast” there is no clarification as to which King Bed room type you would get. There are 3 room types available through Choice Hotels, and 4 offered by LastMinuteTravel.com, at varying rates that could fit that description. If the room type that you currently have reserved is not specifically stated and guaranteed on the competing website, it would not be eligible for the Lowest Price Guarantee program. Room types must match, as stated in the terms and conditions

Originally Posted by Oj778
I love Choice's Best Rate Guarantee. Over the years easily saved me thousands of dollars. All of my BRG free nights were in Canada, USA and once in Panama.

The BRG is definitely not a scam; however, it's gotten a lot more tricker lately. They're really hardcore on the room details (got two claims rejected recently due to no microwave/fridge in the room details on the competitor website, and another rejection because the room on the competitor website said it's a wheel chair accessible room while there's no mention of that on the Choice website).

Also, back in August 2017, I submitted a claim which got rejected due to different room type. I checked my reservation, and noticed my reservation was modified somehow. I created a post on FT about it:
BEG Claim Denied- Different Room. Room modified by hotel before BRG claim processed

I ended up getting that one honored in the end after complaining to a Choice BRG supervisor.

As for recent BRG approvals, I got one approved and a friend of mine got one approved (free nights since we're Canadian). So it's definitely possible.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:02 am

Got denied because the rate was not alive after 27 hours that they took to review it. They refuse to accept the screenshots which I have made. Made a mistake of booking an advance rate hoping for the price match. Will not do this again, obviously.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by kozm
Got denied because the rate was not alive after 27 hours that they took to review it. They refuse to accept the screenshots which I have made. Made a mistake of booking an advance rate hoping for the price match. Will not do this again, obviously.
I just came to this website after investigating to find others who experienced what I had. 40 hours after I booked (just shy of the 48 hours in their fine print), they could not find a comparable rate. First they denied the claim because the room description was different on Priceline vs. Choice despite the hotel only having one of these room types. Then when I called, they changed their mind and said oh well the current rate on the competing website is much higher. I'm normally great at researching before I commit to a "deal" and this time I didn't. I wish I had booked on Priceline to begin with. I will now be going out of my way to avoid booking any Choice hotel. With my current nonrefundable rate I'm stuck for this trip.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:24 am

If any of the Choice execs are reading this, why did you even bother with the price guarantee program? Clearly, it is hard to fulfill the terms. If the purpose was to make sure that more people book thru your site and not via other parties, you failed miserably. Me and babs1982, for example, will always book at the lowest rate available elsewhere, because your guarantee means nothing. I am sure this experience is hardly unique.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
If any of the Choice execs are reading this, why did you even bother with the price guarantee program? Clearly, it is hard to fulfill the terms. If the purpose was to make sure that more people book thru your site and not via other parties, you failed miserably. Me and babs1982, for example, will always book at the lowest rate available elsewhere, because your guarantee means nothing. I am sure this experience is hardly unique.
I'm sure the various Choice hotels will be fine with you booking at the lowest rates you can find on non-choice web sites.

I have never understood the angst of people who don't get any discount for having found a better rate than the Choice price on their web site. Just book the rate that works for you and move on.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
I'm sure the various Choice hotels will be fine with you booking at the lowest rates you can find on non-choice web sites.

I have never understood the angst of people who don't get any discount for having found a better rate than the Choice price on their web site. Just book the rate that works for you and move on.
I understand the angst. The whole point of a guarantee is that you ostensibly don't have to shop around because Choice promises to give you the lowest rate. This is apparently not true. Since people know it isn't true, they try to claim the guarantee, which offers more than just an adjustment to the lower rate. Then when they do try to claim this benefit, Choice weasels out of it with questionable tactics. Now I'm not saying that Choice is the only chain that does this. Other chains also do everything they can to prevent claims against these "guarantees." To me, it is less about the difficulty in claiming the guarantee benefit, it's about the hollow nature of the guarantee itself.
BearX220 and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:41 am

Not sure if it is the Flyertalk power, but they have approved the guarantee claim after I emailed them the screenshots (without request from their part, just to vent). So a good closure after all.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:01 am

For any Canadians paying attention to this thread,... bad news! Choice just recently changed their price match guarantee, so no more free nights for Canadian residents:
"Additionally, U.S. and Canada residents will receive a $50 reward card after completing their stay and international residents will receive their first night free."
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:12 pm

Worse even, the Canadians will get only 50CAD, which is ~37USD as of today.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
The fools at BRG and Clarion hotels Helsinki tell me they are independent of choice hotels and BRG does not apply. The idiotic company displays"Best Rate Guaranteed" when you make a booking for that exact hotel on its own website!. So when I tried BRG because I got the hotel significantly cheaper on a 3rd party website I thought I would definitely have BRG honoured....only to be told it does not apply as they are independent. THEN they have the hide to argue with me about it. When I sent screen shot of their own hotel website showing BRG above every room category price I funnily received to more replies form the hotel. Even if you try make a booking today for Clarion Helsinki BRG comes up above pricing but thats a SCAM as it doesn't apply to any choice hotel in Helsinki!

What a 3rd world hotel chain Choice are...and indeed we DO have a choice!....thank God Im a loyal Hyatt member what a blissful ethical company to deal with in comparison.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I haven't submitted a BGR with Choice, but have been successful with Hilton. Get screen shots of everything to help your case. It worked for me with Hilton and saved me over $150.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Other chains also do everything they can to prevent claims against these "guarantees." To me, it is less about the difficulty in claiming the guarantee benefit, it's about the hollow nature of the guarantee itself.
I've never even tried to push a BRG claim, because I assume all issuers are operating in bad faith and either outright lying (as with Choice) or will cite some absurd loophole.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:19 am

Not sure if it is the Flyertalk power, but they have approved the guarantee claim after I emailed them the screenshots (without request from their part, just to vent). So a good closure after all.
Completed the stay and received the $50 Vanilla card via email. Happy ending, with a bit of luck and perseverance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.