Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Comfort Suites Paradise Island (Nassau) - Fees waived on points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort Suites Paradise Island (Nassau) - Fees waived on points?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 10:28 pm

I had a recent points stay in Oakland and was charged a ($10) 'Hotel Services Fee' for 'Measure Z Surcharge.' I mentioned to the clerk that I thought all fees were supposed to be included on points booking, but he was (politely) adamant. I intended to ask Choice about this upon my return, but life got very strange very quickly when we got back . Anyway, I know it's a different property, but I'm also interested in hearing how this part all works these days...
Old May 4, 2020, 1:32 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by LX64A332
Bumping the thread to see if there are any updates?
Im scared to buy the points needed, only to then be charged the "flat sales tax" of $37 per person per night, so would be nice to know if points stays still have ZERO additional taxes incurred.
Thanks for reaching out here to get an update. To confirm, reward nights cover the cost of the room and tax, extra person charges, and extra beds. Incidentals that would incur a charge are parking, pet fees, room service, or resort fees. I hope this information has been helpful. If we can be of any additional service, feel welcome to reach out by message. We appreciate your membership. Take care! *Julio
Old May 4, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
I had a recent points stay in Oakland and was charged a ($10) 'Hotel Services Fee' for 'Measure Z Surcharge.' I mentioned to the clerk that I thought all fees were supposed to be included on points booking, but he was (politely) adamant. I intended to ask Choice about this upon my return, but life got very strange very quickly when we got back . Anyway, I know it's a different property, but I'm also interested in hearing how this part all works these days...
Thank you for your patronage! I am glad you got in contact to gain clarity on this situation. To follow up accordingly, please send a message with your confirmation number, member number, full name, email, and telephone in association with your account. My team and I will be on the lookout. Chat soon! *Julio
Old May 6, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
Thank you for your patronage! I am glad you got in contact to gain clarity on this situation. To follow up accordingly, please send a message with your confirmation number, member number, full name, email, and telephone in association with your account. My team and I will be on the lookout. Chat soon! *Julio
Message sent, thank you !
Old May 15, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Choice, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton, Wyndham, Delta, American, United, Jet Blue, SWA
Originally Posted by miadukes
Well I know in Paris, there is whatever tax they have to charge no matter what the stay so it could have been something similar, granted i was aware as they had plenty of warnings online when I booked. It was minimal and i was there on 2 free hyatt night and 3 point IHG nights, I know not chouce but figured it might be relevant.
I had a similar experience at a Choice Hotel in Paris (2017, 8-night stay on points.)
When we checked-in they hit me with this Paris "daily tax." Since as a matter of flexibility I always book separate reservations for each night of a continuous stay, I was charged for only one day - after a great amount of polite protest. The following morning the desk lady apologized profusely and acknowledged that I was correct - it seems she inquired with her boss - and no more charges.
I never got my 2-3 Euro back... it didn't reappear as a credit on my credit card ever. Sometimes it's just more efficient to take the defeat/take the "loss" rather than spend who-knows-how-much-time-it-takes to press the issue.

Last edited by DCABarry; May 15, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:47 pm

We three adults are using points to stay at Comfort Suites Paradise Island in November. The following was on my confirmation page.AS OF NOVEMBER 1, 2022 The following tax and charges are applicable. 10 Value Added Tax, 11 Resort Levy, 5.00 USD per person, per day Housekeeping charge. 39.50 USD Hotel Service Charge per person, per night. 40.00 USD added to the rate for 3rd and 4th adult, plus Value Added Tax.

Guests 16 years and over are charged as adults. Children ages 12 to 15 pay all fees 44.50 USD per person, per day. Children ages 0 to 11 are free. Each room will require a guest 21 year old or older to check in.

The following tax and charges are applicable. 10 Value Added Tax, 11 Resort Levy, 5.00 USD per person, per day Housekeeping charge. 17.55 USD per person, per day Utility Surcharge and 14.30 USD Hotel Service Charge per person per day. 40.00 USD added to the rate for 3rd and 4th adult, plus Value Added Tax. Guests 16 years and over are charged as adults. Children ages 12 to 15 pay all fees 36.85 USD per person, per day. Children ages 0 to 11 are free. Each room will require a guest 21 years old or older to check in.

Is it still true that we will not have to pay these fees?
Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:19 pm

Hi, there. Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. To look further into this, please send us a private message with the hotel's address, date of arrival, and the name on the reservation. Once we locate your reservation, we'll provide more assistance. We hope to hear back from you soon. -Zaira
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:58 am
was jgoggan
Original Poster

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
Question

Hi, there. Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. To look further into this, please send us a private message with the hotel's address, date of arrival, and the name on the reservation. Once we locate your reservation, we'll provide more assistance. We hope to hear back from you soon. -Zaira
Can't this be answered publicly? We all want to know. He's given a specific hotel and just wants to know, if paying with points, if any of the daily extra fees listed apply or not. This has been an ongoing question about this hotel for years. In the past, those fees did NOT apply to a point-based stay. We just want to know if that is still the case or if someone staying on points will have to pay all of those additional daily fees or not. Please answer this publicly for us.
GUWonder and writetorich like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:13 am
was jgoggan
Original Poster

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Minigolf Man
We three adults are using points to stay at Comfort Suites Paradise Island in November. The following was on my confirmation page.AS OF NOVEMBER 1, 2022 The following tax and charges are applicable. 10 Value Added Tax, 11 Resort Levy, 5.00 USD per person, per day Housekeeping charge. 39.50 USD Hotel Service Charge per person, per night. 40.00 USD added to the rate for 3rd and 4th adult, plus Value Added Tax.

Guests 16 years and over are charged as adults. Children ages 12 to 15 pay all fees 44.50 USD per person, per day. Children ages 0 to 11 are free. Each room will require a guest 21 year old or older to check in.
Also, just to confirm, when staying on a CASH stay, there are an additional $89 "resort fees" PER DAY for a couple to stay there now? That seems a bit crazy to me. Almost $100/day tacked on? I'd never consider this hotel on a non-points stay.

Also, I'm a little confused on the wording for children. It says that guests 16+ are charged as adults. Then it says that 12-15 "pay all fees 44.50 USD per person, per day" -- well, isn't that the same as adults? So, why not just say that children 12+ are charged as adults? Or am I missing something there?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:31 am

Hello, there. We appreciate your interest in our hotels. Kindly know that our hotels are owned and managed individually, and they set their policies that we cannot overrule. If you make a reservation using points, it will cover your room. However, there are some extra fees that you would need to pay at the hotel. In this scenario, as Comfort Suites Paradise Island has specified the extra fees they request for your reservation:
AS OF NOVEMBER 1, 2022 The following tax and charges are applicable. 10 Value Added Tax, 11 Resort Levy, 5.00 USD per person, per day Housekeeping charge. 39.50 USD Hotel Service Charge per person, per night. 40.00 USD added to the rate for 3rd and 4th adult, plus Value Added Tax. Guests 16 years and over are charged as adults. Children ages 12 to 15 pay all fees 44.50 USD per person, per day. Children ages 0 to 11 are free. Each room will require a guest 21 year old or older to check in. The following tax and charges are applicable. 10 Value Added Tax, 11 Resort Levy, 5.00 USD per person, per day Housekeeping charge. 17.55 USD per person, per day Utility Surcharge and 14.30 USD Hotel Service Charge per person per day. 40.00 USD added to the rate for 3rd and 4th adult, plus Value Added Tax. Guests 16 years and over are charged as adults. Children ages 12 to 15 pay all fees 36.85 USD per person, per day. Children ages 0 to 11 are free. Each room will require a guest 21 years old or older to check in.

We recommend you reach the hotel directly to have all the accurate information about the resort, housekeeping fees, and extra charges they may request. Thank you for your inquiry. -Kathy

Originally Posted by jgoggan
Can't this be answered publicly? We all want to know. He's given a specific hotel and just wants to know, if paying with points, if any of the daily extra fees listed apply or not. This has been an ongoing question about this hotel for years. In the past, those fees did NOT apply to a point-based stay. We just want to know if that is still the case or if someone staying on points will have to pay all of those additional daily fees or not. Please answer this publicly for us.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:31 am

Hi again, there. We understand your concern. Following your question, there are some fees this hotel requests per night. As previously mentioned, our properties have regulations; we cannot override them. We recommend you check the hotel alerts before you make your reservations at www.choicehotels.com, mobile app, or contact us at 800-521-2121. We hope this information helps. Should you have more questions, do not hesitate to send us a private message. -Kathy

Also, just to confirm, when staying on a CASH stay, there are an additional $89 "resort fees" PER DAY for a couple to stay there now? That seems a bit crazy to me. Almost $100/day tacked on? I'd never consider this hotel on a non-points stay.

Also, I'm a little confused on the wording for children. It says that guests 16+ are charged as adults. Then it says that 12-15 "pay all fees 44.50 USD per person, per day" -- well, isn't that the same as adults? So, why not just say that children 12+ are charged as adults? Or am I missing something there?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:40 am
was jgoggan
Original Poster

So, if you scroll up in this thread and look at your own responses from when I first started it, you explicitly stated that there would be no fees at all when staying on a point stay -- and to even contact you if we were charged so that you could fix it immediately. When I stayed a few years ago, that was the case -- there were no fees at all when I stayed on a point stay.

So now you are saying that that policy has changed and/or things are different now? The "energy fee" and housekeeping being charged at the time were waived on a points stay. (I actually left more for housekeeping because of that, but that's a side issue, of course.)

Now they have replaced the "energy fee" with a "Hotel Service Charge". So you are saying that we'd still owe the "Hotel Service Charge" on a point stay, correct? Unlike what was said previously that all such fees would be waived on a points stay.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hi John - You should not be charged any taxes or fees when booking with points (you would still be responsible for any incidentals). If you happen to get charged for fees, please contact us while you are at the hotel so that we can take care of that for you.
Is this still the policy for stays at this property when paying with Choice points?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:01 pm
was jgoggan
Original Poster

That is what I'm trying to re-confirm. The latest official answer from Choice seems to imply that that is no longer accurate. But I'm not sure if the policy really changed -- or if there is just confusion here. Hopefully we'll hear an official answer soon.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:44 pm

Hello again, there. Kindly note that reservations booked with Choice Privileges points do not require taxes since you are paying with points; on the other hand, the hotel still might require an incidental deposit. Nevertheless, we encourage you to reach out to the hotel directly to confirm any possible charge or fee. If it happened to a hotel stay, please send us a private message with the hotel's location, arrival date, reservation name, and confirmation number. We hope this information helps to clarify the points redemption process. -Fernando

So, if you scroll up in this thread and look at your own responses from when I first started it, you explicitly stated that there would be no fees at all when staying on a point stay -- and to even contact you if we were charged so that you could fix it immediately. When I stayed a few years ago, that was the case -- there were no fees at all when I stayed on a point stay.

So now you are saying that that policy has changed and/or things are different now? The "energy fee" and housekeeping being charged at the time were waived on a points stay. (I actually left more for housekeeping because of that, but that's a side issue, of course.)

Now they have replaced the "energy fee" with a "Hotel Service Charge". So you are saying that we'd still owe the "Hotel Service Charge" on a point stay, correct? Unlike what was said previously that all such fees would be waived on a points stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.