Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Quality Hotel Woden award Redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Below is the link for the hotel in Canberra NSW:
http://www.choicehotels.com.au/en/qu...ra-hotel-au545

Can this place booked using Choice reward points - how many points needed? AMEX Travel can book using cash or MR points - with tax they want 12k/night.

AMEX MR transfer at 1:1 rate. Sometime it is cheaper to transfer and book. Any tips?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sciconf
Below is the link for the hotel in Canberra NSW:
http://www.choicehotels.com.au/en/qu...ra-hotel-au545

Can this place booked using Choice reward points - how many points needed? AMEX Travel can book using cash or MR points - with tax they want 12k/night.

AMEX MR transfer at 1:1 rate. Sometime it is cheaper to transfer and book. Any tips?
Open that link again! The answer is right there, on the right if you scroll down.

Copied and pasted from there (but it loses the formatting):
Points required for Choice Privileges reward night redemption:
January 8, 2017 - April 15, 2017:
Sun - Thu 16,000/room
Fri - Sat 16,000/room

April 16, 2017 - June 30, 2017:
Sun - Thu 20,000/room
Fri - Sat 16,000/room
Keep in mind that you only have a certain window of time that you can book ahead with Choice points: up to 60 days ahead internationally with little or no Choice status.

If Amex really wants only 12k points per night for your nights, it sounds like that may be a better deal if you don't actually have Choice points and would be converting them from Amex. (Amex conversion rates to hotels are not the best; Diners Club converts at a much better rate, but you cannot apply for a Diners Club North America right now and it's unclear if and when they ever will restart applications.) Amex is good for transfer to airlines, but not so good for transfer to hotel programs. By comparison, Diners->CHoice is 1250 Diners -> 2500 Amex. That's almost double the number of Choice points per dollar spent with Diners than with Amex. If Amex had that transfer ratio, you'd be better of transferring, but since Amex has such a poor transfer ratio, if indeed you can get each night for well less than 16k points, you're probably better off doing the Amex booking, unless cancellation polices are much worse.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
[B]
If Amex really wants only 12k points per night for your nights, it sounds like that may be a better deal if you don't actually have Choice points and would be converting them from Amex. (Amex conversion rates to hotels are not the best; Diners Club converts at a much better rate, but you cannot apply for a Diners Club North America right now and it's unclear if and when they ever will restart applications.) Amex is good for transfer to airlines, but not so good for transfer to hotel programs. By comparison, Diners->CHoice is 1250 Diners -> 2500 Amex. That's almost double the number of Choice points per dollar spent with Diners than with Amex. If Amex had that transfer ratio, you'd be better of transferring, but since Amex has such a poor transfer ratio, if indeed you can get each night for well less than 16k points, you're probably better off doing the Amex booking, unless cancellation polices are much worse.
Thanks indeed @sdsearch - I didn't see it in the cnr page - searched online still did not see.

With taxes it comes to 12.8k/night with free parking and WiFi

IHG only has one hotel, Crown, and asks 30k/night - for 38.6k, I got 3 nights at Choice via MR. Redemption is exactly 0.7cents/point

Cancellation is 24hrs prior - if you call and cancel, then you can get it back in points otherwise, cash.

I did get 2.5c/p for domestic travel on Delta - compared to that, I seems to giving out a lot of points so I posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.