FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   5/17-8/15/12: 2 stays = 8,000 points or $50 gift card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1341796-5-17-8-15-12-2-stays-8-000-points-50-gift-card.html)

soitgoes May 13, 2012 8:04 pm

When they run these promos the reduced gift card redemption cost (50% off!) makes for some good opportunities to use up (expiring) points that one doesn't otherwise foresee using.

n dakota May 16, 2012 8:10 am

Well, it's the 16th. I haven't seen anything official on this or a sign-up yet. Has anyone else?

starflyer May 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by n dakota (Post 18585128)
Well, it's the 16th. I haven't seen anything official on this or a sign-up yet. Has anyone else?

I see nothing on the web site yet. I guess check back on 5/17/2012.

Yul_voyager May 16, 2012 5:28 pm

I am currently at Quality Hotel Axel opera in Paris. Just saw flyers about a double point promo for summer... Hope it's just differents promo for differents area...

rubyslippers May 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Anyone see where to sign up for this? thanks

lougord99 May 17, 2012 4:01 am

www.choicehotels.com

honu May 17, 2012 7:13 am

I read the T&Cs (what little there is of it), and it appears that previously booked reservations aren't excluded, but I'm unclear whether this promo is limited to hotels in the US and Canada (you have to be US- or Canada-based to participate, as usual), or if it's valid anywhere Choice has hotels. Does anyone know more?

raj_cl May 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Gift Card vs redeeming for hotel stay

For the points earned thru this promo, while the $50 gift card can only be redeemed until 9/30, what if I'd rather redeem the 8000 points for hotel stay?

Is there a time limit to that too?

Checking as not mentioned in the promo.

Thanks in advance.

CreditMadeEZ May 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by rubyslippers (Post 18590520)
Anyone see where to sign up for this? thanks

http://www.choicehotels.com/giftcard...ash1SUMERPROMO

sdsearch May 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by raj_cl (Post 18594586)
For the points earned thru this promo, while the $50 gift card can only be redeemed until 9/30, what if I'd rather redeem the 8000 points for hotel stay?

Is there a time limit to that too?

Checking as not mentioned in the promo.

I think they feel it doesn't need to be mentioned in the promo because redeeming for hotel stays is the normal (always available) method of redeeming. The redemption for gift cards, while it does generally exist, usually requires twice as many points, and thus it's the 8000 point price on gift card redemption which expired after 9/30.

Now, which hotels are 8000 points can come and go too, but the ability to use hotel points (at whatever rate it is) is not expiring in general (and when and if each hotel's rate changes is specific to that hotel, and thus not related to this promo).

Try not to think of it, though, strictly as redeeming 8000 for a hotel stay. You may or may not be able to do that when the time comes, depending on where you want to stay and when. Think of it as accumulating points at the rate of 8000 points for every two stays, and then redeeming them at whatever rate you do find you can redeem them at.

sdsearch May 18, 2012 6:01 pm

is it uncapped for everyone, including non-elites?

Curiously, the T&Cs don't explain whether you can earn the 8000 points an unlimited number of times during this promo. Now, once I registered, I did get a page which said that. But I'm Diamond Elite at Choice, and so I cannot tell whether this page was specific to me or not. (There have been some promos in the past where high-enough elites could earn unlimited, but lower elites and non-elites were somewhat capped.)

Can someone who's not elite and who registered for this promo please report whether their screen said they could earn an unlimited number of times? Thanks.

holtju2 May 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 18602423)
Can someone who's not elite and who registered for this promo please report whether their screen said they could earn an unlimited number of times? Thanks.

No status with Choice, but when I registered using the email that I received from Choice:

You can now begin to earn an unlimited amount of gift cards during the promotion

NLS May 22, 2012 1:14 pm

With this promo will the cost of the gift cards drop to 8,000 at some point? Right now they all still seem to be at 16,000 points. Thanks!

lougord99 May 22, 2012 4:26 pm

You will only be allowed to purchase the number of gift cards for 8,000 that you actually earn. So until you have stayed twice and received the bonus, you will not see any available at 8,000.

mlancaster8 May 23, 2012 10:34 pm

$50 gas card - can I do this multiple times?

And is a stay REALLY for just one night ? If I stay four nights at the Comfort Inn here in town, will I get 16000 points or $100 in gas? Or do I have to check-in/check-out to trigger it.

Marriott says "regardless of check-out activity" in their promotions, too, but they don't really mean it.