Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The game's afoot, Watson!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Shhh... Europe on Sale again!

Happened to look for rooms in Munich, and everything is up for 8K
As is London, Paris, Zurich... you get this drift.

So I've booked for MUC and London - where I got some rooms with 175 GBP for 8K points.

Up till Nov 30, then it jumps to 25K

Paris Pavillion Opera looks great too!

Last edited by ftnoob; Oct 12, 2012 at 7:44 am Reason: Solicitation not allowed outside CC
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean "Shhh"? You let out the secret, by putting what is really happening in the thread title.

It was previously kept secret by an obsucre thread title, but has been already discussed here (apparently too secretly for you ):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...ot-watson.html
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It was previously kept secret by an obsucre thread title, but has been already discussed here (apparently too secretly for you ):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...ot-watson.html
I just looked at Paris (not because of this thread) and noted that tons of hotels are available for 8,000 points. In the summer only two hotels were on sale. So the sale does seem to be expanded.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
I am really hoping that these 8K properties come back in June 2013 as they did last year in June.

RM
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumeli
I am really hoping that these 8K properties come back in June 2013 as they did last year in June.

RM
Interesting. I also currently have no European travel plans this winter, so there's nothing I can do with this information. I am planning a trip in June, and will also be in Australia during the (northern) summer, where the same crazy point fluctuations also take place. I guess all I can do is wait for my booking window to open and hope there's still a deal!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
Interesting. I also currently have no European travel plans this winter, so there's nothing I can do with this information. I am planning a trip in June, and will also be in Australia during the (northern) summer, where the same crazy point fluctuations also take place. I guess all I can do is wait for my booking window to open and hope there's still a deal!
Unfortunately this time there is no 8k points for Australia and New Zealand
All property are out of price (40k in Auckland...)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Unfortunately this time there is no 8k points for Australia and New Zealand
All property are out of price (40k in Auckland...)
Aw, that's too bad. Hopefully the 8K awards return for me next year. Otherwise, it's generally not a good deal to use Choice points in Australia/NZ -- unless the alternatives (like paying $200/night for 3 star accommodations) are worse.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Redemption prices downunder are an unexplained abomination. Nowhere to go but down, right? Right? Right?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A quick check shows everything in Dublin at 8000 points/night until the April 15, 2013. After that, who knows. But that's beyond my booking window anyhow.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
A quick check shows everything in Dublin at 8000 points/night until the April 15, 2013. After that, who knows. But that's beyond my booking window anyhow.
Interesting. I'm headed there in late spring. I guess all we can do is wait. I figure I'm going to get a bargain SOMEWHERE with Choice next spring.

BTW, I wish there were more deals in the US. In some USA destinations, the redemption levels also make no sense. I just had to stay at a Days Inn in VT (14,000 Wyndham points), because I didn't want to pay 25,000 for a run-of-the-mill Quality Inn.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Back when I was staying at hotels on a regular basis, I don't think i ever used points for an ordinary stay ... the "earn here, burn there" mantra has never been more true than with Choice in Europe (and probably elsewhere, too - just not the US).

Of course, my whole purpose in staying in a hotel rather than renting an apartment or other approaches was to get dem points to spend in Europe. The fact that the Quality Inn was a little (a little?) run down didn't bother me much, as long as the roaches stayed out of sight.

Besides, I was usually hotel-hopping for some promo or other, and one night in Purgatory wasn't going to kill me.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BigLar
Back when I was staying at hotels on a regular basis, I don't think i ever used points for an ordinary stay ... the "earn here, burn there" mantra has never been more true than with Choice in Europe (and probably elsewhere, too - just not the US).

Of course, my whole purpose in staying in a hotel rather than renting an apartment or other approaches was to get dem points to spend in Europe. The fact that the Quality Inn was a little (a little?) run down didn't bother me much, as long as the roaches stayed out of sight.

Besides, I was usually hotel-hopping for some promo or other, and one night in Purgatory wasn't going to kill me.
There can be some domestic US properties that I'd use points on--I found some in Northern California this year that were good 8K redemptions--but Choice has spoiled me to the point where I'm unlikely to redeem at properties for much above 10K unless the cash price is over $250, like in NYC. Even with the summer trip to NoCal, I ended up booking half my rooms with cash (strategically placed so as to hotel hop without really changing my travel plans) and earning back half the points I'd spent on redemptions. I figure I just made my dollar stretch further and spent some of the money I saved on redemptions on other things during my trip--like golf and dinners!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
There can be some domestic US properties that I'd use points on--I found some in Northern California this year that were good 8K redemptions--but Choice has spoiled me to the point where I'm unlikely to redeem at properties for much above 10K unless the cash price is over $250, like in NYC. Even with the summer trip to NoCal, I ended up booking half my rooms with cash (strategically placed so as to hotel hop without really changing my travel plans) and earning back half the points I'd spent on redemptions. I figure I just made my dollar stretch further and spent some of the money I saved on redemptions on other things during my trip--like golf and dinners!
Well, my strategy is to buy as many points as I can in Discover America and burn them whenever it's materially cheaper than "paying" for a room at a Choice hotel or comparable property. I don't travel enough in Europe to burn through all the points I buy. At Discover America "prices," there are many, many good USA values at Choice. Not as good as Paris for 8000, but good values. Where you start losing value is when the hotels are 20,000 points and more. Then, other alternatives tend to become mroe appealing.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I looked at some hotels in Paris in May, but the availabilities are limited... For example Clarion Collection opera has no room at all during the week I checked, and during the week-end they have just single bed room... although there is a lot of room available with the best available rate

Anyway, thanks BigLar for the alert...
I had the same problem with a hotel in Rome. Plenty of Best Rate availability, but not one CP nite. Called and gently asked what was happening in Rome and whether they were sold out. Response was 'ooops, we forgot to load the CP nights in the system'. The receptionist did it immediately and at once plenty of 8000 points per night availability opened up.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dd1612
I had the same problem with a hotel in Rome. Plenty of Best Rate availability, but not one CP nite. Called and gently asked what was happening in Rome and whether they were sold out. Response was 'ooops, we forgot to load the CP nights in the system'. The receptionist did it immediately and at once plenty of 8000 points per night availability opened up.
^

Steve Martin once said that people could get out of a lot of trouble if they just remembered the two little words, "I forgot." "I forgot it was against the law to rob a bank." "I forgot that Choice might want us to load award availability."

I just wished the same phone calls might open up award availability on some of my favorite airlines. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.