Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

1+1=FREE (2 stays=8000 pts) uncapped, March 8 through May 8, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1+1=FREE (2 stays=8000 pts) uncapped, March 8 through May 8, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And, probably very non-coincidentally, today is the day after the last promo ended.
Once again, Choice follows with one promo right on the heels of another.

And uncapped! Woo hoo!

Bravo x 2!

Though some of their promos are weaker than others, in sum, at this point it's fair to say that they're serious about the promo game.

^
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And, probably very non-coincidentally, today is the day after the last promo ended.
Correcto. I probably won't book a room for another 10 days, but as I've noted, I like to make sure that I've registered properly.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:20 pm

Can we be pretty sure there will be a similar offer later this year? I'd like to bring my balance, with points expiring at the end of the year, to a usable level, but I have no plans for stays in this period.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
Can we be pretty sure there will be a similar offer later this year? I'd like to bring my balance, with points expiring at the end of the year, to a usable level, but I have no plans for stays in this period.
"Pretty sure" is probably the level of confidence I'd use. The economy for hotels has certainly not improved to the point where chains feel the need to dump their reliance on promos; in fact, with Carlson's recent big splash in this area, I'd assume hotel chains, including Choice, will be in this game for awhile.

I always figure there are a limited selection of promos chains can offer that are gussied up in some way to appear different from their own recent promos and promos offered by other chains. With Choice, their last four promos have been stay two times, earn 8000 points (they always say free night, but we know 8000's not enough for most hotels), earn 4X the points, earn airline miles + Choice points (or double Choice points), and now, again, stay two times, earn 8000 points.

I don't know that Choice will mechanically follow this pattern, but the principle is pretty clear--unlike SPG and other groups, Choice isn't pushing promos that emphasize stays one quarter and nights the next or that entice longer stays, such as SPG's current double/triple points promotion. I guess if they wanted to throw a curve ball into the mix and if they felt the need to raise awareness of these brands, Choice could try something like 3 stays gets you a night at any Cambria or Ascend Collection hotel, but that doesn't really seem their style.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
It depends on the meaning of "similar". Yes, there's most likely going to be another "stay X earn NNNN points" promo later this year. But if last year's pattern holds (and we know that not), it could be that all further such promos this year will be tightly capped (ie, you'll only be able to earn a very small multiple of 8000 points unless you're high enough elite).

So if by "similar" you mean the "uncapped" aspect (ie, no limit on how many sets of 8000 points you can earn), that's the part I'm less sure about.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:51 pm

How does it work for elite bonuses? I.e. if I have 2 $100 stays to earn the 8k points, will my total points as a gold elite (10% bonus points) be 8,000 (elite bonus is absorbed by promo bonus), 8,800 (10% on 2 stay bonus total) or 8,200 (10% on the $200 spend)?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Elites and non-elites all get 8,000 for 2 stays. You will get your elite bonus for the first stay and then for the second stay you will get however many points it requires to reach 8,000.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
How does it work for elite bonuses? I.e. if I have 2 $100 stays to earn the 8k points, will my total points as a gold elite (10% bonus points) be 8,000 (elite bonus is absorbed by promo bonus), 8,800 (10% on 2 stay bonus total) or 8,200 (10% on the $200 spend)?
So long as you don't stay at EconoLodge, Rodeway, Suburban, and MainStay, where a stay is defined as two nights rather than one as at the remaining Choice brands, this promo most rewards those who stay at the cheapest acceptable property, regardless of status. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'. In fact, in plenty of places, I find I can spend about what I'd spend on EconoLodge, Rodeway, Suburban, or MainStay (or maybe even less) to get an acceptable Quality or Comfort Inn.

I won't be searching out any Cambrias to stay in for the next couple of months, though.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Originally Posted by lougord99
Elites and non-elites all get 8,000 for 2 stays. You will get your elite bonus for the first stay and then for the second stay you will get however many points it requires to reach 8,000.
Actually, you get the elite bonus on both stays. It's just not clear if you only look at "recent activity" on the Stay/Activity page, because there it only lists one bonus per stay. But that doesn't mean you only earn one bonus per stay. Pup up your statement (View My Statement higher up on the same page) and you should see something like this:
date of second stay:
Comfort Inn; COSTA MESA, CA 590
Diamond Point Bonus 295
Spring 2012 - Stay Twice 6,810

date of first stay:
Comfort Inn & Suites John; SANTA ANA, CA 600
Diamond Point Bonus 300
(The rates were $59.something and $60.something respectively.)

Having said that, what started out as a 50% Diamond bonus works out to less than 10% bonus on the total 8000 earned, if the rates are this low. So it doesn't matter all that much IMHO how it works exactly, the 8000 so dwarfs everything else (if you are doing one-night stays, anyway).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:12 pm

The promo states:

"•Elite Diamond and Elite Platinum members can book through any channel"

What does "any channel" actually mean? Do bookings thru online travel sites (Expdia, Travelocty, Orbtz, etc.) count?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by flyingbrick
The promo states:

What does "any channel" actually mean? Do bookings thru online travel sites (Expdia, Travelocty, Orbtz, etc.) count?
Any channel that normally earns points.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
The promo states:

No. It means you can book directly with the hotel (over the phone or walk-up), or through a corportate travel agent. Ie, it means you can book any way that earns you points normally.

Those who aren't Elite Diamond or Elite Platinum cannot even book directly with the hotel and earn the bonus. They'll earn their normal points, but not the bonus. For "mere mortals", the bonus is only earned on bookings made at Choice online sites or through the Choice 800 number, no other ways.

"Any booking channel" expands that to all the other ways of booking (not to other websites than Choice's, but to other non-web ways of booking).

(You can't earn the bonus if you don't earn points to begin with. And you don't earn points at all on third-party booking sites.)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Any channel that normally earns points.
Thanks. Seems to be a consensus. The wording in the promo is very misleading IMHO, but actually policy seems clear enough.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
How to confirm that an upcoming stay will get me points?

I don't have any elite status with Choice, and have an upcoming stay where I'll need to book through corporate travel website...not sure about 2 things:
1) if it'll get me Choice points to begin with.
2) if the stay 2 night, get 1 free, will apply.

Any way to confirm, before I do the stay...I'd rather know right now, so I can stay somewhere else, and not get disappointed later on.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raj_cl
I don't have any elite status with Choice, and have an upcoming stay where I'll need to book through corporate travel website...not sure about 2 things:
1) if it'll get me Choice points to begin with.
2) if the stay 2 night, get 1 free, will apply.
First of all, it's not "stay 2 night, get 1 free". I stay 2 times, get 1 free.

2 nights on the same stay do not get the bonus. Only two nights on completely separate stays (different hotels, or at least a one-day gap between stays if at the same hotel) get the bonus.

Next, this bonus will not apply to you if you have no elite status and book through a corporate travel website.

The promo clearly states that you only get this bonus if you book through Choice 800 number or the Choice website. The only exceptions are avialable to the two highest levels of elite (who can book through corporate travel websites and still get the bonus).

It may depend on the specific corporate website whether you'll get the regular points. People tend to know that from their own past experience (since any given person tends to need to always use the same corporate travel website).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.