Search

Choice Membership Numbers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Question Choice Membership Numbers

I realized that membership numbers can be written in different ways.

US Choice membership numbers
GPX-ABC12345 or ABC12345

Canadian Choice membership numbers
CN-12345678901 or 12345678901

This is quite confusing to me. Which format do I need to use if I want to collect Choice points from a Choice partner (e.g. rental car or Topguest). Is it the first format (i.e. including the "GPX" or "CN") or is it the second format?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
I realized that membership numbers can be written in different ways.

US Choice membership numbers
GPX-ABC12345 or ABC12345

Canadian Choice membership numbers
CN-12345678901 or 12345678901

This is quite confusing to me. Which format do I need to use if I want to collect Choice points from a Choice partner (e.g. rental car or Topguest). Is it the first format (i.e. including the "GPX" or "CN") or is it the second format?
Just use the part after the "GPX" or "CN" or whatever it is.

I'm not sure even the Choice website uses those other identifiers.

BTW - on my membership card, the initial identifier is "A"X"B", where A and B are the initials of my first and last name. So, if I were John Smith, the identifier would be JXS. If your real name were Zurich Flyer, your identifier would be ZXF.

At least, that's how it used to be.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, in the past I think it has depended on the partner. So I don't know if it could be answered in general like that.

Second, isn't the prefix being phased out? (As a US-based member Mine used to start with GP- (not GPX-) for ages (because I opened the account way back when it was called Guest Privileges!). Then lately they stopped displaying the prefix part altogether on the Choice webiste. A couple years ago when I was registering for promos, this was even confusiong within Chioce!

(My latest physical membership card is from the start of the year, and it still has GP- on it. But when I log in, and it takes me to My Account page, the Membership Number it displays there is the same one I've always had except without the GP- on the front. (I seem to recall this only started fairly recently, though. And I can't say whether it's true for everyone, I just know it's true for me.)

The even bigger question is whether every partner knows all the formats of the Choice member number that are used worldwide. I've certainly had analogous problems before with, for example, Wyndham Rewards not recognizing some Frontier Airline account numbers after Frontier merged with Midwest Airlines (who had a different account number format). And then there's the endless confusion since the dawn of time as to when to include and when not to include lading zeros (of which there are so many!) in Southwest Airlines account numbers.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
"My" US Cards all start with "GPX-" (not with my initials, i.e. ZF). "My" Canadian cards all stat with "CN-".

The funny thing is, when I log in, it shows the numbers without prefix, i.e. without "GPX-" or "CN-".

When I go to "contact customer service - send e-mail", it automatically shows the numbers including the prefixes That really confuses me and makes me think that the prefixes are part of the number.

The reason why I am asking it that I get for my Topguest check-ins with other programs (e.g. Best Western or HHonors) my points after two days on my accounts. Not so with Choice. I get the all the e-mails "you've got 50 points" but in fact, they don't show in my Choice accounts
Old Sep 4, 2011, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
The reason why I am asking it that I get for my Topguest check-ins with other programs (e.g. Best Western or HHonors) my points after two days on my accounts. Not so with Choice. I get the all the e-mails "you've got 50 points" but in fact, they don't show in my Choice accounts
What do you mean "all" the emails? Ie, how many of these have you done? Have you done them all the same way? If I had opportunity to do this multiple times and was wondering about this, given that it's only 50 points, I think I'd try it without the prefix one time and with the prefix another time. That way it seems to me in two tries or so you'd know whether the prefix is the problem or not!

Who is sending you the emails, Topguest or Choice? If Topguest, there's the posisbilty that Topguest transfers to Choice only once a week, only once every two weeks, only twice a month, or even only once a month. How long have you waited? (Different pairs of partners transfer at different frequencies, so just because Topguest transfers often to other hotels doesn't necessarily mean they transfer just as often to Choice.)
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I'd also like to know about Topguest posting patterns to Choice. I have been doing Comfort Inn & Suites check ins for 15 days and they are all showing in the Top Guest account but haven't shown up at Choice. The format is GP-AAA9999 A being alpha and 9 being numeric. I didn't include the GP- part on Topguest and nothing is posting to Choice.

Has anyone succeeded in getting Topguest points?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:19 pm

Did topguest remove Choice from its list of hotel programs? It was good while it lasted, a shame though...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Tiki
I'd also like to know about Topguest posting patterns to Choice. I have been doing Comfort Inn & Suites check ins for 15 days and they are all showing in the Top Guest account but haven't shown up at Choice. The format is GP-AAA9999 A being alpha and 9 being numeric. I didn't include the GP- part on Topguest and nothing is posting to Choice.

Has anyone succeeded in getting Topguest points?
I received a few points, IIRC.
Originally Posted by liyuhua
Did topguest remove Choice from its list of hotel programs? It was good while it lasted, a shame though...
It does look like they've removed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.