Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp Checks in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Temp Checks in HKG?

Flying JFK - NRT - HKG. I am wondering if they are doing fever checks on arriving passengers in HKG?
I won't be flying however until the Fall - when the Flu is expected to be more prevalent than now. Do you think the checks will be happening then? Should I prepare for being detained?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I might have walked by the infrared thermometer twice without noticing, but what they do care nowadays is the declaration form. On my mid-July entry at the airport, before getting to the immigration line, everybody squeezes into a hole called the Health Department, which has several people inspecting the form.

HK is now in the community outbreak stage (massive number of confirmed cases with no travel history), so they don't mandate "lockup" anymore (the cliche these days is "voluntary self quarantine").
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Expect to be detained? Why would you expect to be detained?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:12 am

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by cj001f
Expect to be detained? Why would you expect to be detained?
Quite possibly because when the H1N1 first was recorded in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong government found it necessary to quarantine almost 300 people in a hotel room, even though most had not come into any contact with the person that had the virus. They were quarantined for 7 days without any possibility of leaving or valid reason for their detention.

Also, then the government was hunting down anyone with suspected virus and hospitalising them or putting them into a quarantine area outside the city.

So, while the question may seem a bit strange, it is not totally unreasonable.
To the OP: Your information is a little incorrect. Traditionally, the winter is not the peak flu season in HK. Worrying about being "detained" is no way to start a holiday. Your holiday is not for many months and alot can happen by that time. Relax, make sure you have travel insurance and enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.