Reload this Page >

Calling all those with infinite Shanghai wisdom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling all those with infinite Shanghai wisdom

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:59 pm

I haven't been there yet (will be soon), but a 2-3 day trip that includes Xitang, a water town between SH and Hangzhou, would seem to be a good diversion. It's on the train line between the 2, is worth a 1/2 day , or so it seems. Some would say that the charm is staying overnight in Xitang.

Although the HI seems good if you have the points, I'm staying at the Crystal Orange which gets good reviews on Tripadvisor, is brand new, and is about $65 per night.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Thank you, I just saw that

Can anyone help me?

This is the address of the wedding in the Qingpu district. I tried putting it into Google Maps, but no luck.

上海市 青浦区 新凤中路385号,12弄 502室

Can anyone help me put that into a form that Google Maps or Mapquest will recognize?

Thanks so much
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Thank you, I just saw that

Can anyone help me?

This is the address of the wedding in the Qingpu district. I tried putting it into Google Maps, but no luck.

上海市 青浦区 新凤中路385号,12弄 502室

Can anyone help me put that into a form that Google Maps or Mapquest will recognize?

Thanks so much
Do you require more specificity than this?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%E9%9D...image&resnum=1
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Forgive my ignorance, but is that link you gave me the exact address I had posted above? Sorry, but I don't speak the language at all.

If it is, thank you SOOOO much, and that is perfect specificity.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:05 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but is that link you gave me the exact address I had posted above? Sorry, but I don't speak the language at all.

If it is, thank you SOOOO much, and that is perfect specificity.
No. It's just the main street. My guess is that your friends live in the complex that is SE of the Huazhi Rd. intersection,.... based on the fact that they are on 12弄. Assuming the map is both accurate and reasonably up to date, no other complexes have that many roads*. Side note, if you look at the corresponding satellite image, you'll note that the main street wasn't even finished when it was captured.

*This is a crude translation of 弄.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
No. It's just the main street. My guess is that your friends live in the complex that is SE of the Huazhi Rd. intersection,.... based on the fact that they are on 12弄. Assuming the map is both accurate and reasonably up to date, no other complexes have that many roads*. Side note, if you look at the corresponding satellite image, you'll note that the main street wasn't even finished when it was captured.

*This is a crude translation of 弄.
Thank you very much It is definitely close enough that I see our closest metro is probably the Songhong station, and then we can just take a taxi to that address.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:59 am

Thank you very much It is definitely close enough that I see our closest metro is probably the Songhong station, and then we can just take a taxi to that address.
If the wedding is on Saturday or Sunday, I suggest you taxi the whole way (regardless of where you're coming from). If it's on a Friday, subway+taxi probably is preferable to taxi alone, but in that case, I'd consider staying west of downtown (i.e. Gubei or Xujiahui) the night before; there's plenty to see/do/eat in both areas.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
If the wedding is on Saturday or Sunday, I suggest you taxi the whole way (regardless of where you're coming from). If it's on a Friday, subway+taxi probably is preferable to taxi alone, but in that case, I'd consider staying west of downtown (i.e. Gubei or Xujiahui) the night before; there's plenty to see/do/eat in both areas.
Thank you. The wedding is actually on a Friday /Friday night, with only a lunch on the Saturday. Can you elaborate on above? Would it be best for us to subway+taxi on Friday morning/lunchtime, and taxi back on the Saturday after lunch? Is one cheaper than the other? I assume one is much faster than the other?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:58 am
Original Poster

So I finished reading my lonely planet last night and one of the common themes that kept recurring was to avoid going to Shanghai the first week of October. Well, unfortunately we have no choice, and will be there from Sept 28 - Oct 5th. Is it going to be as busy and nutty as the LP makes it out to be?

From my research, it seems that Hangzhou is more appealing to me than Suzhou. Thoughts on this from people who have been to both? Our plan would be to leave early on a Wednesday morning, and return either Thursday evening, or Friday morning. I would like to see more than just Hangzhou or Suzhou. Which route would allow us to see another interesting place on the way, or possibly taking a trip from one of those 2 places (and any itinerary suggestions?)

Thank you all for your help.

I should add that staying at a Starwood would definately be nice (however not necessary). It seems Suzhou has the nicer one, as Hangzhou only has Four Points by Sheraton Hangzhou, Binjiang, which doesn't seem near West Lake (which is I think where I would want to be). Thoughts on this as well?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:08 pm

From my research, it seems that Hangzhou is more appealing to me than Suzhou. Thoughts on this from people who have been to both?
I have not been to both, but Suzhou was on my list of places to visit for years. Looking back, it doesn't live up to my expectations. I did enjoy however Xitang. Although there is some very touristy things, it is still to me fascinating to see a different culture version of touristy. In fact, I could see going back to spend more time there.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:54 pm

So I finished reading my lonely planet last night and one of the common themes that kept recurring was to avoid going to Shanghai the first week of October. Well, unfortunately we have no choice, and will be there from Sept 28 - Oct 5th. Is it going to be as busy and nutty as the LP makes it out to be?
Compared to Edmonton (pop. 1mil), Shanghai (pop. 20mil) is busy and nutty all year round. Visiting Shanghai during the National Days is fine. You'll still be able to see the sights, catch cabs, etc.

From my research, it seems that Hangzhou is more appealing to me than Suzhou. Thoughts on this from people who have been to both? Our plan would be to leave early on a Wednesday morning, and return either Thursday evening, or Friday morning. I would like to see more than just Hangzhou or Suzhou. Which route would allow us to see another interesting place on the way, or possibly taking a trip from one of those 2 places (and any itinerary suggestions?)
IMO Hangzhou is the more attractive of the two, so that's where i would go. The walk along the lake side is beautiful, the six harmonies pagoda is worth going up in, and many others. Suzhou is nice too, and it's closer, but its just never quite the same as Hangzhou.

It'll be tough to combine Suzhou and/or Hangzhou with another place in one day. You could try Suzhou and one of the water towns and go for the gondola ride, although you can do that in Suzhou also.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Why would you want to be Shanghaied?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
We loved Shanghai. Stayed at the Grand Hyatt in the Jin Mao Tower. Our room was on the 86th floor with awesome views and a nuclear sunrise.

Excellent restaurant there with amazing Peking Duck called Made in China.

Best bargain was a massage at dragonfly (several locations)
http://www.dragonfly.net.cn/ Really great massage and super cheap. Nice silver dragonfly necklaces to buy there too.

The aquarium was a lot of fun too.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: skywards Gold
things to look out for in Shanghai

I live in Shanghai year round, and feel I should point out some of the things to watch out for, particularly as you are planning on staying in some of the more touristy areas. Street scams abound and some are so subtle that you don't realize you're being scammed until it's too late.

While you are on the famous Nanjing Road, if you are approached by ANY english speaking chinese, just move on. Don't smile, don't stop to chat. the two most common scams are the Tea House scam and the Art Scam, wherein a well heeled tourist and family are approached by delightful english speaking youngish chinese students who are perfectly credible when they say they'd love a chance to practice their english and offer your their tour guide services in exchange.

They will in fact provide a brief tour and then suggest that they take you to a special traditional tea house where you an sample many types of delicious chinese tea. It's done so well, it just seems like a natural extension of their "tour". When you get there, you do indeed sample many types of tea and are then presented with an astronomical bill which of course, you will feel you should pay, (in some cases a few have refused and large burley enforcer types suddently appear from another room and stand a la Sopranos with dark glasses and arms crossed.) I have seen some extremely savvy people get sucked in by this one, the students they use are so darned charming and sweet it's like slapping them to say "no, go away!" but beneath that sweet exterior lies a profit making machine, so just say no!

the other scam is the art scam, same scenario you will be approached by delightful well spoken students who offer you english for chinese exchange or will simply engage you in conversation for a bit and and then invite you to come and look at their art exhibition where you will then be high pressured into purchasing the same print you can buy in the local markets for 10 kwai.

Tourist scams abound everywhere of course, and shanghai is no worse than any other major city, but the language barrier can work to your disadvantage. While guide books tell you that you can get emergency services etc, it's not always as easy as that.

Additionally, I would point out that long long taxi rides as you are considering taking, are in fact possible, your problem will occur when you decide to come back. many local drivers will not want to make the trip back across the river. (this happens to me about two days in five, and I work in Pudong and Live in Puxi.) To avoid a problem, ask your hotel to arranage a car and driver for you, it won't cost you that much more and you'll be assured of return transport and safety as well as a driver who has been briefed by the hotel on where you are headed and when you are coming back. And also one who depends on the hotel for his extra livlihood and therefore needs their goodwill. Any good hotel will be able to provide you a good service and it's something you really should consider.

Pick up a local sim card when you arrive so you can easily stay in touch with your local family and /or call for help if need be, a good hotel conceirge will be able to tell you where you are lost and help you get back to them, and it's easier than you think to get turned around.

As to National Day, it WILL be crazy and for more than one reason, they are expecting some political unrest during this time, so will be especially watchful in Beijing, and Shanghai as well, but it's expected to be more Beijing oriented. In addition to the possible protests, its a huge chinese holiday in general, that means taxis and trains will be stretched to their limit, and you have NEVER seen crowds until you have been in Shanghai during a holiday. You will be arriving during the "shift" where people are travelling out of the city, so keep your wits about you and your documents and money close.

In markets keep a careful eye out for counterfit money. Its a huge problem and unsuspecting tourists are often passed bad bills (like in every other country). when you get a note with a picture of Mao on it, run your finger over his collar and his hair, and you'll feel a raised pattern. thats a legit bill and even on the old ones which are well worn, it is always there.

That being said, Shanghai is a delightful vibrant city to visit and I adore living here, and hope you have a fabulous trip!

Andrea

PS I have included a link to a couple of threads on the Shanghai expat website regarding scams, beware some of the language used there is not for the faint of heart, it seems expats forget manners sometimes,, but there is a wealth of useful information too so take some of it with a grain of salt, and use the search feature to look for specifics.

this is a thread that goes back nearly five years so navigate to later pages if you like it;s VERY long but interesting that the scams havent changed overly much in all that time
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/MDForum...-t-43401.phtml

And this one is a "low down" written by locals on the various markets and some of the prices they obtained, again, you might want to skip the first ten or so pages as they are dated, but still interesting reading...

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/MDForum...-t-22177.phtml

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:44 pm

My 2cts

Shanghai during ANY national holiday will be PACKED with tourists and visitors. During National Day / Golden Week even more than during Chinese Lunar New Year as Chinese will not go 'home' but 'travel'. As travel is limited for most to domestic travel a lot of people travel to the big Tier 1 cities (SH/BJ/GZ) and 'famous' places (such as Suzhou and Hangzhou).

Do expect a LARGE crowd at EVERY place famous (any temple, any garden in Suzhou, Hangzhou Lake, any prominent place in Shanghai) during Oct 1 and Oct 10 2009! Be pleasantly surprised if this is not the case. It can be a bit scary / claustophobic if you are not taller than the regular Chinese.

Based on my Suzhou travel I would not recommend to do the trip in one day (although this is possible if you manage to obtain the relevant (return!) train tickets in advance during NATIONAL HOLIDAYS). Otherwise it will be a 1 1/2 - 2h car ride one way.

However, I would always advise to stay one night in Suzhou to enjoy a boat ride on the canal (leaving 7pm or so) and some traditional food there. It's really nice and quite a different experience from what you will get in Shanghai.

Depending on your SPG status and diary consider the Sheraton Suzhou - although my actual stay experience was not so good you can score good room at low rate during summer. Tower area has been opened in Feb 2009 - the rest is a bit older.

I cannot understand how people advise you to combine Suzhou with Hangzhou in one day. For this this is too stressful and I would not do it.

A water village visit (one is enough - no need to do two) is worthwhile. DO NOT go there during holidays (done three times - always PACKED and quite dangerous on the bad small walkways). During the week before the holidays should be a very nice experience. Ignore the 2km shops before the main entrance. Expect to be charged 'high'(er than local) price for everything. Bring a hat in case of sunny weather - you will walk several KM without shadow.

In Shanghai Pudong I would consider the 2008-build Sheraton Pudong vs the older St. Regis Pudong (which claims to have biggest standard rooms). Read the relevant FT articles before booking - also note the St. Regis SHA suite upgrade offer under Promos Promos Promos in the SPG forum.
Also consider Westin Bund Center - especially if you have status w SPG. The Sunday Funday Brunch (not cheap & extremely popular - book in advance) is one of the best (the best?) I have ever attended. I do this with all my visitors who come to Shanghai and ALL loved it.

Cannot comment on the Puxi hotels but generally I would always opt for newer hotels in that area as these are really really nice (the new Courtyard or Renaissance Zhongshan for example) and up to the latest brand standards.

In the JingAn area 'The Puli' is the most buzzed new opening in August. Check their website for soft opening rates. Alternatively - depending on the interest - check out the hip/young places 'URBN' Hotel ('first carbon neutral hotel in China' - very boutique) or 'Jia Shanghai' (boutique - rooms kind of smallish unless booked in a suite).

Park Hyatt vs Grand Hyatt Jin Mao Pudong is an ongoing discussion in the Hyatt forum. Grand Hyatt is older but has been a landmark for years. Service is one of the best you will receive in China.
PH is the new landmark and I will also enjoy a 'Big Welcome' free night there later this year. Check out the discussion on the F&B outlets for price indications and service issues there. The food court in B1 & B2 of the SWFC tower is very good (all you can eat during the weekend but very nice for lunch during weekdays). Keep it in mind in case you go for GH or PH.

Re SHA sightseeing: wander 1/2 day through the french concession. Really nice if the weather plays along.

I actually like XinTianDi for 1-2h (non-bargain) souvenir shopping and coffee. Some fancy restaurants are there as well. Not cheap.

Yu Garden is nice as well - if you end up in the tourist trap shops shoot for 60% discount - at least. The Garden and the temple are nice places. Packed on every weekend & holidays. Expect to be 'Watch / Bag'ed frequently.

Re food there is a big variety of good Chinese and Western places in shanghai - let me know if you need further recommendations (the mentioned Xindalu in the Hyatt on the bund is really good but you pay the 15% Hotel Chain service charge).

Also consider that domestic flights in China are regulated (Y fares are fixed - airlines can only compete via discount levels) and very cheap - check out elong or ctrip for reference. You will find more information on domestic airticket booking on FT.

You might want to consider to fly to Xian for 1-2 nights to check out the Terracotta Army?

Or how about the Panda Breeding Center in Chengdu?

Or the obvious Beijing with the world-famous sites?

So much to do - so little time...

Have a great time. Bring patience - you will visit China during NATIONAL HOLIDAYS! *scaring you one last time*

Ham

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.