Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Where do you book/pay for an Overnight Train in China before hand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I am flying into PVG in 10 days, and out of PEK two weeks after that.

During the trip I want to take the overnight train with a soft sleeper from PVG-Xian, and then the same from Xian-PEK a few days later.

I have searched and the best I can find is agencies that will do it, but only if you buy tours with them. So the price is a lot more than it is listed if you buy just a train ticket.

I know it cost extra as I guess they deliver it to your hotel, than a walk up fare, but I want to make sure I have a sleeper, not a walk up fare and then sit up all night. Some extra I understand, but I don't want the tour or twice the price.

Is there a TA or Internet site that will just sell me the train ticket?

Thanks,
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
There is no way to book train tickets in China over the internet or phone, AFAIK. Someone needs to go to queue for them, either at a train station or one of the China Rail ticket shops. I would just pay a commission for this but then again YMMV.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks Mosburger.

Does anyone know of a TA or someone in PVG who will buy train tickets for a commission? I don't mind paying a reasonable commission to have the tix before hand.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
Thanks Mosburger.

Does anyone know of a TA or someone in PVG who will buy train tickets for a commission? I don't mind paying a reasonable commission to have the tix before hand.
Just ask your hotel concierge to do it for you. If you're on good terms with them, they might front the cash; otherwise, wait till you get there.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought there were some agencies listed on seat61.com that would do it for a (large) fee. Generally, though, the procedure is to have a travel agent/hotel buy you the ticket a few days in advance for a roughly US$5 commission.

FWIW, I'm a little less keen on taking the train in China than I used to be. I think flying offers a good competitively-priced alternative on many routes, and can be competitively priced. With ctrip and elong, you have good access to airline discounts and can do it yourself -- and in advance, as long as it's not more than 30 days ahead of time.

The train suffers by comparison on long routes in that unless you have 4 people (2 on a few routes), you'll have to share your soft sleeper compartment with strangers. And even with 4, travel agents have a tendency to "screw up" your reservation and not put all 4 in the same compartment. They also tend not to book logical "adjacent" seats on non-sleeper trains.

I've also recently wound up on some trains that were less than comfortable. I had one "4 digit train" (no letter in front) that had horrible, ancient soft sleepers. And I spent 6 hours on a "K" train from Datong to Beijing that was pretty uncomfortable (only one choice of seat, and it seemed silly to book a sleeper on a day train -- a bad decision).

The only Chinese trains I would recommend wholeheartedly are the new "D" high speed lines which are amazingly fast and very affordable. Otherwise, unless you know the line (like Shanghai-Beijing has great overnight trains), the trains can be a bit of a gamble, although the odds are probably in your favor. They are affordable and generally run on time, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.