Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Transportation from airports in PVG & PEK ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum

Wife and I are going on a 10 day tour of China with Viking River Cruises in September 2007. We will start in Shanghai and tour will end in Beijing. We did not purchase air travel or airport transfers from Viking. So here is my question.

We will arrive PVG at 5pm by SQ. We are booked in St.Regis Hotel. What is the best way to get to the hotel?. Taxi, Bus, Train?. I have heard of the Meglev and would like to try that, but I hear it is very difficult to get a safe taxi from the city station. We do not have a lot of luggage. If taxi from airport is the best, how much will it be. I found a taxi service called "Shanghai taxi" by googling. They charge about $42 for their smallest taxi, still cheaper than the $100 the cruise line want to charge.

In Beijing we are staying in Westin. Same question. How should we get to the PEK airport and how much should we pay.

What is the weather like in September?.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:00 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Taxi to the Westin in Beijing should be NO more than 100 RMB. Wait your turn and stand in the official line. Tell the guy to put on the meter and he will. Costs should prob be less than 100, no tipping either in China...

There's supposed to be a direct train from the Airport to the Dongzhimen subway station but I don't think that will be done until the new year at the earliest, certainly should be ready for the Olympics...

Weather in SH in September will probably be a bit hot and sticky, though not as bad as it is in July...

Have a great trip
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:26 am

Programs: Miles and More / Millemiglia / Qantas
BEIJING: take a taxi as Jamoldo says, but make sure to have the direction written in Chinese characters, so you'll have no problems for sure (easy to find on the Hotel website). When you exit the baggage claim area don't pay any attention to the "taxi drivers" who offer their services, they are fake! Regular taxis are outside the terminal, across the road (you'll see the line)

SHANGHAI: don't miss the opportunity of a Maglev journey! I never had problems finding a taxi at the station, but ask the driver to put on the meter and DON'T accept their "special prices"!!

Always in China, if you have problems or are not sure, ask other foreigners (there are always some around in the big cities), if they can, they'll help you!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Taxi to the Westin in Beijing should be NO more than 100 RMB. Wait your turn and stand in the official line. Tell the guy to put on the meter and he will. Costs should prob be less than 100, no tipping either in China...

There's supposed to be a direct train from the Airport to the Dongzhimen subway station but I don't think that will be done until the new year at the earliest, certainly should be ready for the Olympics...

Weather in SH in September will probably be a bit hot and sticky, though not as bad as it is in July...

Have a great trip
In Beijing I need a taxi to the airport, it is in Shanghai that I need transportation to the hotel. I like to take the Maglev and then a taxi to the hotel. But is this hotel St. Regis, close by to that station. Will the taxi drivers know the location. Is it safe. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by worldtravel
But is this hotel St. Regis, close by to that station. Will the taxi drivers know the location. Is it safe. Thanks.
It actually is (and happens to be one of about 5 hotels that would generate this answer from me). But, since you seem to be SPG-loyal, I would strongly suggest that consider the Meridien, which is a lot nicer IMO. The only bone I have with that hotel is that getting a taxi there can be maddening during peak times (Friday nights are the worst), but they have a fleet of hotel cars that will take you pretty much anywhere in Puxi for ~y70.

As for Beijing, I'm going to hold myself back from slamming the Westin yet again because it appears to work for certain types of travelers. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to book a private car independent of the hotel; this should only cost ~50 more than a taxi, but will take you directly to the terminal (taxis aren't allowed on the curbside lane any more, which isn't a huge deal, but Beijing can be hot in the summer.... and cold in the winter {for anyone who digs up this thread several months from now}).
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
It actually is (and happens to be one of about 5 hotels that would generate this answer from me). But, since you seem to be SPG-loyal, I would strongly suggest that consider the Meridien, which is a lot nicer IMO. The only bone I have with that hotel is that getting a taxi there can be maddening during peak times (Friday nights are the worst), but they have a fleet of hotel cars that will take you pretty much anywhere in Puxi for ~y70.

As for Beijing, I'm going to hold myself back from slamming the Westin yet again because it appears to work for certain types of travelers. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to book a private car independent of the hotel; this should only cost ~50 more than a taxi, but will take you directly to the terminal (taxis aren't allowed on the curbside lane any more, which isn't a huge deal, but Beijing can be hot in the summer.... and cold in the winter {for anyone who digs up this thread several months from now}).
I agree with moondog- who is the resident China expert- that the Meridien is a far better option- especially as it seems you are on vacation- it is a better location and a nicer hotel. Secondly, if you want to take the Maglev, pick up a business card for your hotel in the arrivals area of the airport- you will see all the hotel booths- once you have a card you can simply show it to the taxi driver and you will be fine. Taxis in Shanghai are safe, and they will use a meter.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
you will see all the hotel booths- once you have a card you can simply show it to the taxi driver and you will be fine. .
It amazes me that so many hotels don't bother to post jpegs of their biz cards on their websites (in fact, I was just looking at the SH St Regis site and they don't even list "Chinese" as a language option). In any case, if any of you want enough info to get you to your hotel (without having to visit the airport desks), feel free to email me and I will make a pdf for you.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
It amazes me that so many hotels don't bother to post jpegs of their biz cards on their websites (in fact, I was just looking at the SH St Regis site and they don't even list "Chinese" as a language option). In any case, if any of you want enough info to get you to your hotel (without having to visit the airport desks), feel free to email me and I will make a pdf for you.
I have to agree. Or, when they email the reservation confirmation, why not also include the Chinese address? I mean, this is quite straightforward- for example Shangri La is very good at that.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. Hotels are selected by the tour company. So, I am stuck with St Regis in SH and Westin in Beijing. In SH are you both sugesting taxi from the airport, or Maglev and taxi from the train station.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by worldtravel
I appreciate the responses. Hotels are selected by the tour company. So, I am stuck with St Regis in SH and Westin in Beijing. In SH are you both sugesting taxi from the airport, or Maglev and taxi from the train station.
I think you should try out the Maglev, simply because it is worth doing once.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have to agree. Or, when they email the reservation confirmation, why not also include the Chinese address? I mean, this is quite straightforward- for example Shangri La is very good at that.
I e-mailed both the Westin Beijing and the Le Meridien Shanghai, and they sent me address cards that I could print out. Really liked the Westin - try to get onto the club level if you can, well worth it.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
As a rule of thumb I would expect a foreign traveller pay around four times the taxi price of a Shanghai local. But it' still a good deal.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
As a rule of thumb I would expect a foreign traveller pay around four times the taxi price of a Shanghai local. But it' still a good deal.
...and, no self respecting FTer would/should ever pay any more than a Shanghai local.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: Miles and More / Millemiglia / Qantas
Originally Posted by mosburger
And why should he pay 4 times more, if I may ask???
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Yashodara
And why should he pay 4 times more, if I may ask???
He shouldn't. I'm actually more fond of sh drivers than bj drivers and I find that, even the latter, are pretty civil on the whole. But, the Longyang Road Maglev/subway station is notorious for rip-offs. The good news is that anyone with any kind of a clue will do fine. If you run into problems, just summon one of the many cops in the area to help you out. Or, if you get taken in a circuitious route (i.e. something to meters at 200+), ask the hotel people to assist. No worries at all, honestly.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 24, 2007 at 8:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.