Wiki Posts
Search

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lx343
Thx for your response. Im transiting through PVG.

1. Would the visa be denied?

2. How about arriving at PVG and departing at SHA, is that possible?
1. This discussion is about transit WITHOUT visa (i.e. people who want to transit in China without procuring visas), so the question of denial is moot. But, if you were to show up for your flight to China with a planned transit of greater than 72 hours, the airline responsible for transporting you to China would probably deny you boarding (if they didn't, you could face immediate deportation upon arrival).

2. You can mix and match airports in Shanghai. This does not have any bearing on the 72 hour rule.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Can you make use of TWOV twice in one trip? Say:

(USA)-PVG-HKG-PEK-(USA)

with several days in Hong Kong (the primary destination) sandwiched in between a maximum 72 hours each in Shanghai and Beijing?

Thanks for compiling all the great information in this thread.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lx343
Arriving on the 02.01.15 at 12:05pm, leaving on the 05.01.15 at 12:25pm.

Will i get the transit visa for 72h?
you will either be denied boarding or denied entry by Chinese immigration.

the visa is 72 hours, not 72 hours and 20 minutes unfortunately.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Can you make use of TWOV twice in one trip? Say:

(USA)-PVG-HKG-PEK-(USA)

with several days in Hong Kong (the primary destination) sandwiched in between a maximum 72 hours each in Shanghai and Beijing?

Thanks for compiling all the great information in this thread.
yes.

Chinese immigration will only look at segments relevant to TWOV... ie the immediate inbound and outbound.

so you have two itineraries for TWOV... usa-PVG-hkg

and hkg-PEK-usa.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thank you. I guess this was made clear earlier:

Chinese immigration will only look at segments relevant to TWOV... ie the immediate inbound and outbound.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
With rewards tickets can't this be gamed i.e. you book a 9am return flight to be within the 72 window, but then change the flight to leave at 1pm so you overstay by 4ish hours? Experience? Horror stories?
Old May 26, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
With rewards tickets can't this be gamed i.e. you book a 9am return flight to be within the 72 window, but then change the flight to leave at 1pm so you overstay by 4ish hours? Experience? Horror stories?
I guess anyone with half a brain left will STRONGLY tell you to not try such tricks, unless you absolutely insist on the very good probability to have big trouble in ever returning back to China afterwards.

Basically, what you try to smells very much like trouble. Unless you try it in CAN, where you'll be perfectly within limits (as TWOV there is arrival day+72 hours)
Old May 26, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

your outbound flight details are recorded at point of entry.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Not sure what game you are playing but these are not the types of people i'd be looking to play games with.

When you hit emigration upon leaving the country, they will see that you've been in country from more than 72 and "bam," you're nailed.

What they do with you is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't count on making your return flight.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:53 am

What's the point of an extra 4 hours?
Old May 26, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JPDM
Probably schedule, fare and/or award availability?
Old May 26, 2014, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
76ers fan?
Old May 26, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by nologic
Probably schedule, fare and/or award availability?
correct
Old May 27, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Couple quick detail Qs:
If it's two separate itineraries aka XXX-ICN-PEK and PEK-HKG-YYY and the time in PEK is less than 72 hours, is this OK or does it have to be the same ticket number?

I know you're not allowed to go between cities, but can I land in PEK and go to the Great Wall/surrounding area or do I have to stay in the city proper?

Does it work if it's XXX-PEK-PVG-YYY within 72 hours?

I know PEK is on arrival at the airport, but is it as flawless at PVG, CAN, etc.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Couple quick detail Qs:
If it's two separate itineraries aka XXX-ICN-PEK and PEK-HKG-YYY and the time in PEK is less than 72 hours, is this OK or does it have to be the same ticket number?

I know you're not allowed to go between cities, but can I land in PEK and go to the Great Wall/surrounding area or do I have to stay in the city proper?

Does it work if it's XXX-PEK-PVG-YYY within 72 hours?

I know PEK is on arrival at the airport, but is it as flawless at PVG, CAN, etc.
as per the wiki at the top of the page, two separate itineraries/tickets is fine.

yes, you can go to the Great Wall. the main issue is overnight accommodation... you cannot stay outside the main city (hotels won't register you).

for the 72 hour waiver, you can transit one - and only one- city.

you cannot touch down, even in transit, in another Chinese city either on arriving or departing china. a stop in PVG, even if the same plane, and same flight number, will change your visa waiver to 24 hours rather than 72.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.