Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2023 | 8:01 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I wouldn’t be comfortable with a 1:50 layover in PEK international to domestic and I have echannel. If you’re going for the transit visa on arrival I think you’re taking a big risk with that timeframe.
With echannel - or at least a visa - I'd risk it or say it's a good chance for being doable. With TWOV, good chance you'll missconnect.

However, PEK-PVG definitely has plenty of flights. If the flight on separate ticket Ex-PVG is like 12+ hrs out (or at least something like 6+), I'd not sweat much, they'll need to rebook OP for this domestic PEK-PVG in case he misconnects as they've sold it on a single ticket.

With a bit of pushing from OP, chances for it to work for TWOV are probably approx 30-50%, without pushing, close to 0% I'd guess.
Old Nov 23, 2023 | 9:18 pm
Original Poster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
With echannel - or at least a visa - I'd risk it or say it's a good chance for being doable. With TWOV, good chance you'll missconnect.

However, PEK-PVG definitely has plenty of flights. If the flight on separate ticket Ex-PVG is like 12+ hrs out (or at least something like 6+), I'd not sweat much, they'll need to rebook OP for this domestic PEK-PVG in case he misconnects as they've sold it on a single ticket.

With a bit of pushing from OP, chances for it to work for TWOV are probably approx 30-50%, without pushing, close to 0% I'd guess.
Tmk, there are only two flights per day between PEK T3 and PVG, but this is kind of a moot point because if he doesn't make the flight he booked and/or it is delayed, the plan will fall apart.
Old Nov 23, 2023 | 9:33 pm
15 Years on Site

Oh, the move to Daxing and lesser international travel through PVG (and some HSR) really took a dent into PEK (T3) - PVG travel. I see 3 flights per day on that route for most days, but I agree, that's not plenty.

Was thinking about it, and you're probably right, too risky to ask the transfer counter to be put on a later flight, when transfer would still be possible but TWOV taking too long, etc.

The alternative that OP absolutely could do would be booking MAD-PEK-SHA (Hongqiao) - then self-transfer SHA-PVG

I just checked, OP's flight MAD-PEK is arriving into PEK at 6.10am.

He could book the 9.30am or 10.30am flight PEK-SHA, get to Shanghai late morning/lunch, have plenty of extra time in Shanghai (even for sightseeing), and take either an evening or night flight to Tokyo. Anything with a departure before 6.10am next day, from either SHA or PVG (plenty of flights from SHA to either Narita or Haneda)

That would be perfectly fine and compliant with TWOV, and no risk.
Old Nov 23, 2023 | 9:59 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

PEK-PVG has never been a high volume route. If you're in Beijing and you want to go to Shanghai, you fly to SHA, and those flights are operating sort of like the shuttles we used to have on BOS-LGA-DCA. If you want to go somewhere other than Shanghai (e.g. TYO), connecting in Shanghai is never a serious consideration. Things were a little different during COVID when PEK and PKX weren't permitted to accept international arrivals, but even then, PVG connecting itineraries were quite limited.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 24, 2023 | 7:58 am

Programs: QR-S, TK-E , TG-G
Thanking all for the informations. I just read this, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...6-nations.html , if it is confirmed looks like I will have no problems whatsoever
goodgirl likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023 | 9:51 am
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by shimura
Thanking all for the informations. I just read this, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...6-nations.html , if it is confirmed looks like I will have no problems whatsoever
Yes, these six countries now join the ranks of Japan and Singapore with 15 day visa free entry (not nearly as sweet an arrangement as the Bahamas, San Marino, and other popular places to stash money), but definitely a step in the right direction.

Now that you don't need to worry about that unforgiving 24 hour clock, you can spend a few leisurely days in Beijing, Shanghai, or pretty much anywhere else in China apart from Tibet. And, you might be able to avoid PVG entirely.
Old Nov 24, 2023 | 8:41 pm
15 Years on Site

I think shimura should play the lottery..

Just the right timing (for something that I doubt anyone was betting any money on) AND he's the right nationality..

Enjoy your holidays in China
moondog and shimura like this.
Old Nov 24, 2023 | 9:10 pm

Programs: QR-S, TK-E , TG-G
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I think shimura should play the lottery..
I had the same thought
Old Nov 27, 2023 | 8:17 am
10 Countries Visited50 Countries Visited5M15 Years on Site

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, these six countries now join the ranks of Japan and Singapore with 15 day visa free entry (not nearly as sweet an arrangement as the Bahamas, San Marino, and other popular places to stash money), but definitely a step in the right direction.

Now that you don't need to worry about that unforgiving 24 hour clock, you can spend a few leisurely days in Beijing, Shanghai, or pretty much anywhere else in China apart from Tibet. And, you might be able to avoid PVG entirely.
I had the same thought
Just to be clear, do Japanese nationals have the right to visa-free entry to China? They did before the pandemic but I have been told it has not been re-instated. TIMATIC says visa free only for Japanese nationals with an APEC card or travel to Hainan.
tauphi likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023 | 1:39 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
A Japanese article posted yesterday says that visa waivers for Singapore and Brunei citizens were reinstated in July, but not for Japanese citizens -- this is said to be because the Chinese government is trying to negotiate some other issues with the Japanese government (including Taiwan and semiconductors) and wants to use the visa waiver program as one of its bargaining chips.

https://media.rakuten-sec.net/articles/-/43417
uanj and narvik like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023 | 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
wow you should win some sort of FlyerTalk award for this
Old Dec 10, 2023 | 8:56 am
5 Years on Site

Not been in Asia after covid but now finally in travel mode again 😀
Have been reading wiki here and alot of posts, trying to understand the rules nowadays. Will arrive to Shanghai PVG from CPH with SAS and going direct further to Vietnam or Malaysia. Cheapest tickets from PVG is with Xiamen airlines via FOC or XMN. Will leave China within 24h. Is that working or I will be in some kind of trouble? Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2023 | 7:33 am
50 Countries Visited3M15 Years on Site

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by criced
Not been in Asia after covid but now finally in travel mode again 😀
Have been reading wiki here and alot of posts, trying to understand the rules nowadays. Will arrive to Shanghai PVG from CPH with SAS and going direct further to Vietnam or Malaysia. Cheapest tickets from PVG is with Xiamen airlines via FOC or XMN. Will leave China within 24h. Is that working or I will be in some kind of trouble? Thanks!
Transit without Visa is possible on this routing IF you have an eligible passport.
criced likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023 | 8:50 am
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

What do you guys think about the idea of reducing this thread's wikipost by about 80%? The timatic part, for example, is no longer up to date and contains a ton of words. On the other hand, we have invested lots of time in building the wikipost, so I don't want to unilaterally gut it myself. Maybe, we could somehow archive it or start a new thread so the original content is preserved?

My thinking is that a simpler wikipost would be more useful. Furthermore, everyone should do their own timatic searches.

ETA: I also want to point out that most of the wikipost content remains relevant today even though some of it is quite old. It just happens to be a long read, and arguably overcomplicates the process.
YuropFlyer, percysmith and criced like this.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 12, 2023 at 8:57 am
Old Dec 12, 2023 | 11:27 pm
15 Years on Site

I'd say, copy the whole wikipost into your first comment (Edit it, you're the thread opener, after all) so it's all "archived" and can be accessed by anyone "historically", then cut down the wiki post massively.

(I'm still pissed they didn't include Switzerland on the new visa free rules..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.