Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Flying on the last day of visa validity - risky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:06 am
Original Poster

If someone makes a domestic flight to Zhuhai to leave China on the last day of the visa validity, what happens if the flight is cancelled and he/she has to go the next day because the airline has only one flight per day (Spring Airlines) ?

Is there a chance that China Immigration accepts this reason or will there still be a penalty?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
If someone makes a domestic flight to Zhuhai to leave China on the last day of the visa validity, what happens if the flight is cancelled and he/she has to go the next day because the airline has only one flight per day (Spring Airlines) ?

Is there a chance that China Immigration accepts this reason or will there still be a penalty?
What is the going rate for bullets these days?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Skyman65
What is the going rate for bullets these days?
LOL

Isn't the rule that you have to enter the country by the last day of your visa? then you have 30 days (or whatever they give you) to leave the country. This is how I understand it.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GM, SPG Gold, HH Silver
The visa expiration date is the last day you can ENTER. You can stay as long as your visa class permits. It used to be possible to renew or extend an expiring visa while you were in country, but I am not sure if you still can, policies change all the time.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
setting aside the point made by atldave (that "enter before xx/yy" is the way visas are worded), if you do in fact happen to be pressing your visa's actual expiration (as determined by your "days/stay" limit), i think you'd be fine in the above case because you'd have a valid excuse (you didn't cancel the flight). i've overstayed visas a handful of times in the past and have never paid a dime, but i did find myself on the hot seat (back room, small table, questioned by chinese policemen) on a few occasions.

i have one friend who overstayed her visa by some 45 days and didn't realize such until she was at the airport. they reduced the fine by half (which amounted to $400 or so). because she didn't have $400 (student at the time) a fellow pax advanced her funds and sent her on her way(she sent him a check as soon as she got home).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
setting aside the point made by atldave (that "enter before xx/yy" is the way visas are worded), if you do in fact happen to be pressing your visa's actual expiration (as determined by your "days/stay" limit), i think you'd be fine in the above case because you'd have a valid excuse (you didn't cancel the flight). i've overstayed visas a handful of times in the past and have never paid a dime, but i did find myself on the hot seat (back room, small table, questioned by chinese policemen) on a few occasions.

i have one friend who overstayed her visa by some 45 days and didn't realize such until she was at the airport. they reduced the fine by half (which amounted to $400 or so). because she didn't have $400 (student at the time) a fellow pax advanced her funds and sent her on her way(she sent him a check as soon as she got home).
In our case the visa is a 1 year multiple that has a fixed expiration date. Moondog, since you have so much experience, after what you wrote I assume the risk not too big. Aditionally the person this is about is a former Chinese Citizien. Thanks for your reply.

For the other replies: I think maybe I didn't make it clear enough that the person is in China and wants to leave on the day she has to leave the country. If the fllight is cancelled she will not make it. Of course if you tried to enter one day after your visa lets you, there is no reason you could give that they would let you enter.

By the way: Even a one year multiple can be extended fon one more month. But thats not what we are after.

Last edited by HKtraveller; Feb 14, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.