Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Visa for Shanghai from HK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
OT - Visa for Shanghai from HK

Apologies, but I'm having difficulty finding this information. I am booked on a flight from HK to Shanghai in a couple of weeks, arriving Thursday evening, leaving back to HK on Sunday afternoon. Can anyone tell me if we need visas? I am a permanent residence of HK with a British passport, my companion has a GB passport but no HK residency. Can we take advantage of the 72 hour no visa option as we have flights back to HK?

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:27 am
Suspended

No. Go to get a visa. It is called transit 72 hours visa-free. Not return 72 hours visa-free.

Japan-Shanghai-Hong Kong would be OK. But HKG China return, is NO.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
as chongcao points out - 72 hour visa free must be to an onwards third country. So visa required.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
It is unrelated to CX. I am moving this thread to the China forum.

cxfan1960
CX Mod
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
The only situation in which you would not need a visa is if your permanent HKID has *** notation. In this case, you could generally apply for and use the Home Return Permit (港澳居民来往内地通行证) rather than a visa in your UK passport. There are a number of advantages and disadvantages to this approach, if eligible, primarily surrounding the right to consular protection in mainland China.

If you aren't aware of this, chances are it doesn't apply, but I mention it only because I know a handful of HKers who didn't realise they were technically both UK and PRC citizens. In any case, your companion would definitely need a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.