Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai shopping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Shanghai shopping

I am looking to buy a good quality small day backpack and red "Dr. Beats" headphones while in Shanghai next week. Suggestions where to buy these items?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd guess to try first at either the Fashion Mall in Pudong (near the Shangri-la) or the shopping center (and restaurant) complex in Xiandu (spelling?). Another idea is Nanjing road, either department stores near People's Park and Le Royal Meridian (which has its own shopping mall in the building) or some fancy looking malls farther from the Bund, near the Portman and the Ji'an (spelling!!!) temple. Note of these stores will be especially cheap. A more time-consuming but fun (also not cheap) place to shop is the French Concession. The Bund has very fancy stores, mostly selling imported luxury goods.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:08 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Super Brand Mall Pudong
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Super Brand Mall Pudong
As well as the IFC mall next door. SWFC also has a few good shops.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:27 am

Dr Dre headphones should be cheaper in US than China?
Plus authentic.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Went with colleagues to Nanjing Road last night. Walked from the West metro station to the Bund. Quite the trek.
Didn't see any stores that sold the headphones. Maybe I missed it. I think I might try in Beijing again.

Also, any suggestion where to buy silk scarfs in Beijing?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Went with colleagues to Nanjing Road last night. Walked from the West metro station to the Bund. Quite the trek.
Didn't see any stores that sold the headphones. Maybe I missed it. I think I might try in Beijing again.

In Shanghai, you can buy them at Xiangyang Electronics Market or a similar place on Huaihai Lu near HK Plaza.

In Beijing, I usually go to either Buy Now or the place near Chef Too, but Zhongguan Cun might be worth a trek if you are really into electronics... the markets there are simply massive.

A third option is Taobao.

In all 3 cases, you're probably going to end up with fake headphones, but the price is dirt cheap, and the quality is usually pretty decent (I once picked up a Bose knock off in Xiangyang Market, but paid about y100 iirc, and those things lasted for a solid two years).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
In all 3 cases, you're probably going to end up with fake headphones, but the price is dirt cheap, and the quality is usually pretty decent (I once picked up a Bose knock off in Xiangyang Market, but paid about y100 iirc, and those things lasted for a solid two years).
My friend specifically wanted the knock offs
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN

If you want to one-stop the headphones and silk scarves, then the usual is Silk Street market or Yashow (in Sanlitun).

I prefer Yashow as I find the Silk Street sales tactics too aggressive, plus Sanlitun has proper shopping/eating options so when I bring friends we can unwind over food/drinks after. But if you know what you want, know the prices, then either is fine to grab & go.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:32 pm

My friend specifically wanted the knock offs
If retail in US is 200USD

Chinese fake vendors would ask 200USD 1200y to start

After negotiation best price should be about 10 USD-maybe 60y or at best a red mao note 100 yuan.

Good luck...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just saw the headphones at the Muslim quarter in Xi'an. Gonna try my haggling tactic tomorrow. I had some practice already dealing with the street vendors of Nanjing Road
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
If retail in US is 200USD

Chinese fake vendors would ask 200USD 1200y to start

After negotiation best price should be about 10 USD-maybe 60y or at best a red mao note 100 yuan.

Good luck...
Got the ear buds at Pearl Market in Beijing for less than $4. Had to negotiate strongly. They started at $50.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Bought the large headphones for 110 Yuan. I guess I could have done a little better, but not unhappy with the price.

Originally Posted by JackieC2
Got the ear buds at Pearl Market in Beijing for less than $4. Had to negotiate strongly. They started at $50.
"Strongly"? What was your counter starting price?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:09 am

Bought the large headphones for 110 Yuan. I guess I could have done a little better, but not unhappy with
200 usd in US, 17.50 usd for fake in China. Fair price.
Vendor probably made a decent profit.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:24 am

Ime electronics are harder to knock down in price than clothes or gift items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.