Wiki Posts
Search

Can I mail a gift to China?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iahphx
It's only going to Beijing. I let you know if it arrives.
...?
Old May 9, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
The boxed phone is 5 x 7.5 x 3.5" weight .8 lb.
Should easily be able to fit 20 boxes in carryon..maybe 30.

Assuming the buyer paid for the items in advance and
also gave the traveler duty payment of 10% of the retail price
of items in china.
$10.00/box would be reasonable amount to pay just for
the airline carry over.

Fronting the purchase and attempting to smuggle in without
declaring at customs as a "favor" would be imbecilic.
Under these circumstances--upfront plan to declare and paying duty--it would be OK. I agree the smuggling (never mind fronting the purchase ) would not be smart.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:51 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by jiejie
I agree the smuggling (never mind fronting the purchase ) would not be smart.
Its not mine... I was doing a friend a favor..I swear.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I travel overseas 3-6 times a year: usually for work, which does limit free time I have to go shopping (if attending a conference in a remote location, would have zero opportunity). However, if a regular would like me to bring back something which is legal, it would be my pleasure to do so.

Bad luck or by design, my baggage is searched by TSA and or Chinese authorities 60%+ of the time, so sneaking stuff in is not really an option for me.

tb
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
Unhappy Sending personal effects to Shanghai from UK via DHL - NIGHTMARE

I am posting this hoping someone can advise me. My daughter was on a 3 month trip around Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia and managed in the middle of all this to secure an internship with a major Hotel in Shanghai. She had a nightmare getting visas sorted out between HK and China, but eventually did so with the aid of some very expensive so called "visa agency". She's now in Shanghai and has accommodation. She is due to start her job next week.

Problem is, her clothes are stuck at the DHL depot in Shanghai and have been for at least a week now, they arrived there last week. Every day, we get a tracking email saying the same thing: "Clearance Delayed".

When we can actually get hold of anyone, and their system is not "down" (which is for 2 days every other day it seems) we are getting different stories from DHL over there, and here. Over there, they say:

Please just wait, It's being CIQ processing, it will take 2-3 working days for this processing. After CIQ process finished, we will submit all clearance paperwork to China Customs.
We estimated that you would received around 26th of Apr if there is not customs examination.
Over here we get:
The bag has been kept by customs for a Commodity Inspection which means they will open it and make sure the items are not for resale, they are personal items. When satisfied, they will release the suitcase to DHL who will deliver it.
But this is the same status for a week now.

So, I'm confused. It's being CIQ processed? So who does this? DHL or China customs? If it passes "CIQ process" why do DHL then have to submit more paperwork? Does CIQ mean opening and inspecting it? Are DHL unable to talk to their own counterparts around the world so they know what's actually going on? So far no-one has been able to give us a clear explanation as to what the process is.

There's nothing of any resale value in there, it's all used clothes for heaven's sake. Can anyone offer any advice on escalating this in any way at all, or forcing DHL UK and China to talk to each other?

Thanks in advance, any help much appreciated.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jfknight
I know it is your daughter and the process is new to someone who is used to the British was of getting thing done; (witness the cultural conflict in HK where British influence and Modern Chinese thinking clashed).

DHL is unable to give you any more details aside from the package is in SH and sent to CIQ for inspection clearance. It is out of DHL's hands and they are also at the mercy of CIQ who will inspect, maybe open and process the package. After all the bureaucracy it is then handed back to DHL and the final delivery to your daughter takes place.
Personal packages are not processed at the same speed as urgent business packages.

I also have a daughter working oversea so I can understand you feelings with her running out of outfits and there is no more that you can do.

The only escalation you can do is with the Chinese government and that route is ill advised. (As per the experience of Sir Chris Patton and the departed/beloved Baroness Thatcher)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tentseller
I know it is your daughter and the process is new to someone who is used to the British was of getting thing done; (witness the cultural conflict in HK where British influence and Modern Chinese thinking clashed).

DHL is unable to give you any more details aside from the package is in SH and sent to CIQ for inspection clearance. It is out of DHL's hands and they are also at the mercy of CIQ who will inspect, maybe open and process the package. After all the bureaucracy it is then handed back to DHL and the final delivery to your daughter takes place.
Personal packages are not processed at the same speed as urgent business packages.

I also have a daughter working oversea so I can understand you feelings with her running out of outfits and there is no more that you can do.

The only escalation you can do is with the Chinese government and that route is ill advised. (As per the experience of Sir Chris Patton and the departed/beloved Baroness Thatcher)
First, thanks very much for taking the time to post this. I really appreciate it.

I totally accept that things are not done the same way in different countries, I have worked in a number of places around the world (no East Asian ones though) and have no problem at all understanding cultural differences. My problem is that DHL have sold me what they claim is a 48 hour service, knowing full well that it almost certainly won't be, given the known parameters, and they have so far still been unable to explain the process to me - who has paid them a very substantial fee for said 48 hour delivery, which is looking more like 21+ days.

I also accept it's not DHL's fault, but they should be open, honest and above all realistic about what you are facing when sending stuff to China from UK, and what *really* is going to happen when your consignment gets there. 9+ days of "Clearance Delay" and different reports from each side of the operation doesn't exactly help. If they had actually explained the process in full to any one of us (sender or recipient) we would not be so wound up about it.

Again, thanks tentseller. I doubt I will be taking it up with the embassy So far, YOU are the first person who has summed up what is happening in a comprehensible way. For that, we all thank you as a family.

Last edited by jfknight; Apr 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
First, thanks very much for taking the time to post this. I really appreciate it.

I totally accept that things are not done the same way in different countries, I have worked in a number of places around the world (no East Asian ones though) and have no problem at all understanding cultural differences. My problem is that DHL have sold me what they claim is a 48 hour service, knowing full well that it almost certainly won't be, given the known parameters, and they have so far still been unable to explain the process to me - who has paid them a very substantial fee for said 48 hour delivery, which is looking more like 21+ days.

I also accept it's not DHL's fault, but they should be open, honest and above all realistic about what you are facing when sending stuff to China from UK, and what *really* is going to happen when your consignment gets there. 9+ days of "Clearance Delay" and different reports from each side of the operation doesn't exactly help. If they had actually explained the process in full to any one of us (sender or recipient) we would not be so wound up about it.

Again, thanks tentseller. I doubt I will be taking it up with the embassy So far, YOU are the first person who has summed up what is happening in a comprehensible way. For that, we all thank you as a family.
As we say on this side of the pond, Been there, Done that; so I can feel for your family. "Dad, (sob) where is my xxxx cocktail dress, (sob) it is not here and I need in in two days time or I am going to embarrass myself at the corporate social gathering in my business attire (sob)."

Yes they guarantee 48hr like most other sevices (UPS, FedEx). However there is the disclaimer that the time at border crossing customs are not included. She will find that once she knows her way around prices in SH are quite reasonable and the need for sending parcel will decrease.

I find that for parcel going to China is usually faster through customs if they are smaller parcels and sent to a business address.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Wife is from China and we do bring in Christmas gifts for the family, no problem, even an I Phone. or two. Leaving in a few days.

They tend to leave Americans alone, they do check their citizens, sometime, for an extra I Pad or two.

Fed X pilots are on the PVG run with United, it is in their contract..FC.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: various

A version of this happened to me years ago, when I airshipped 9 boxes of personal effects to China while on an F visa, double entry. To make a long story short, Chinese Customs impounded the stuff for three weeks while we went back and forth, satisfying their demands. While there is dispensation for shipping personal effects without duty for people on WORK visas (Residence permits), no such dispensation is given for those on BUSINESS or INTERNSHIP visas (F type). Which is what I assume your daughter has. Therefore, Chinese Customs is most curious about why people on shorter term visas need so much stuff. In the end, Chinese Customs was OK with me redoing a manifest of all goods in a format they preferred, in English and Chinese translation, and signing a statement as to why I needed so much stuff, for which I concocted a cockamamie excuse that seemed to work. The Chinese dinged me (well, my company who was paying) for about USD 400 in accumulated warehouse and other fees for that 3 weeks the stuff was held hostage, which angered me. But I had no other options if I wanted my stuff...which was primarily clothing and shoes.

I suggest that she enlist the help of a Chinese associate, colleague, friend, etc. and try calling over to DHL China and ask what she can do to expedite the process--offer to come down to the office or meet with Chinese Customs, reformat the paperwork, get a letter from the hotel attesting to her internship and the need to have proper wardrobe to fulfill her duties. Whatever. Expect that some sort of "ransom" in the form of miscellaneous extra charges, will be needed. Possibly she will be able to escape duty. All the communications needs to be handled through a Chinese speaker and reader. Don't try to have her deal with this herself in English.

DHL UK is going to be absolutely no help, it's out of their hands. The problem is not between DHL UK and China.

While too late to help her, a piece of general advice to other readers. To avoid this kind of problem if you need to move what might be considered "lots of stuff" to China, THINK BEFORE YOU SEND.

1) If on a legitimate Work Z or Student X Visa, pack up your stuff but don't send it. Get to China on your Z/X visa and go through the normal channels to convert it to the required Residence Permit, THEN have a trusted family member or friend or commercial shipping service actually do the the sending. Don't jump the gun or you will multiply your pain. This is because once you get an RP, Chinese law allows for a single large duty-free incoming shipment of personal and household goods, and you would use the RP number to take advantage of this legal provision and get things expedited through Customs.

2) If on any other type of visa (L, F), do not send large amounts of personal stuff to China. Far better for you to bring it yourself, paying excess baggage to the airlines if necessary. You are less likely to have an issue with Chinese Customs if the stuff is accompanying you, and even if you did, settlement would be pretty much right there.

An alternative, which is what I would have recommended for this young woman who seemed to have to go to HK anyway to get her Chinese visa, is to have her stuff shipped from the UK only to Hong Kong (completely different Customs regimen), then she pick it up there and use the international train to take herself and stuff from HK to Shanghai. With a backup alternative Plan B for transshipping it, in smaller parcels, from HK to Shanghai using a Chinese-based shipping service and sending it to the hotel address. A little upfront pain then would have been far less than what she is up against now.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a hint for people sending quantities of stuff to China; do not use DHL, Fed Ex, et al. as their relationships with the customs are not good and stuff gets impounded all the time. Use your country's EMS service which then gets handed over to China Post and delivered with a smile. Never have I had a problem getting anything delivered when using EMS, and this includes large quantities of food which are next to impossible to clear using the courier services.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Just a hint for people sending quantities of stuff to China; do not use DHL, Fed Ex, et al. as their relationships with the customs are not good and stuff gets impounded all the time. Use your country's EMS service which then gets handed over to China Post and delivered with a smile. Never have I had a problem getting anything delivered when using EMS, and this includes large quantities of food which are next to impossible to clear using the courier services.
Agree completely with this. I've shipped literally hundreds of large boxes of things into China via EMS, many filled with expensive branded products which anyone could clearly see were intended for resale, and only had issues with customs twice.

On the other hand, every time I've tried to FedEx anything other than documents I've run into issues.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:42 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Just a hint for people sending quantities of stuff to China; do not use DHL, Fed Ex, et al. as their relationships with the customs are not good and stuff gets impounded all the time. .
Seems wire transfers of any amount of funds go through OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.