Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by qpr
Your wife still holds the chinese citizenship? Then your wife should invite you (that works if you have a copy of her chinese ID).
Doesn't work, official visa agency refused to accept a invitation from my wife because she live with me in germany and not in china, even she is still holding her chinese citizenship and ID card.
Now we have to get a invitation from her parents, I have to write a new visa application and someone have to drive to the agency again
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:41 am
qpr

Originally Posted by 31570324
Doesn't work, official visa agency refused to accept a invitation from my wife because she live with me in germany and not in china, even she is still holding her chinese citizenship and ID card.
Now we have to get a invitation from her parents, I have to write a new visa application and someone have to drive to the agency again
My wife lives in Germany, too but I never had any problems, neither at the visa application center in Frankfurt nor in Berlin.

And you´re the first one I´ve heard about who had this problems.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:50 am

May because it was in Hamburg, who knows.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: BA gold, IB platinum, TK gold, KLM Silver, EK, HHonours Silver, Scandic 2nd floor
hello all

probably asked a million times already, i am flying sunday 22nd feb first to icn and on 27th on to hkg but i need to go to shenzhen on 28th, and i was just refused a visa in holland since there was not enough time they close for holidays... this is last minute business trip and i need to go.

it is safe to assume i can get visa for shenzhen in hong kong? anybody a good tip on how to do it or for an agency who can arrange?

thanks in advance for any help!

rgds
dutchie _226
passport netherlands
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:54 am

If you're travelling only to Shenzhen for not more than five days, you should be able to get a five-day Shenzhen-only visa on arrival with a Dutch passport at Luohu immigration. Cross the bridge after exiting Hong Kong then head up the stairs to your left. The visa office opens at 9am; buy some RMB in HK beforehand for the fee.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
If you're travelling only to Shenzhen for not more than five days, you should be able to get a five-day Shenzhen-only visa on arrival with a Dutch passport at Luohu immigration. Cross the bridge after exiting Hong Kong then head up the stairs to your left. The visa office opens at 9am; buy some RMB in HK beforehand for the fee.
While luohu VOA is the most reliable, people that don't want to go to luohu should inquire about huanggang, Shenzhen bay, or even Shekou ferry terminal. In all cases, confirm in advance, especially during this holiday period.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:14 pm

any tips for the best affordable service to use? Im in Rhode Island, travelling in late june. I wont be able to do this until I get back from New Zealand in April. Thinking about using this service: http://alliedpassport.com/visas/china.php
thanks
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You need a service that has an office near the Chinese consulate that is responsible for your state. For example, if your residence means that you are assigned to the Chicago consulate, your visa cannot be processed in NYC.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need a service that has an office near the Chinese consulate that is responsible for your state. For example, if your residence means that you are assigned to the Chicago consulate, your visa cannot be processed in NYC.
Not necessarily. Agencies with sufficient 关系 can get around the jurisdictional requirement pretty easily. (Of course, this is a point I would clarify before shipping off my passport.)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: various
deleted

Last edited by jiejie; Mar 5, 2015 at 7:40 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:13 pm

yeah I need one for the NY office, my friend needs one for the Houston office
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by igneous
yeah I need one for the NY office, my friend needs one for the Houston office
IIRC Houston requires documentation of your address, such as a copy of your driver's license or a utility bill.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:03 am

IIRC Houston requires documentation of your address, such as a copy of your driver's license or a utility bill.
At the risk of beating a dead horse, NONE of the PRC consulates in the US require such from visa agencies that have sufficient 关系.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
At the risk of beating a dead horse, NONE of the PRC consulates in the US require such from visa agencies that have sufficient 关系.
So one should avoid visa service agencies that ask for this?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm sorry, but I have to contradict you on this. Houston Consulate absolutely requires proof of address within its Consular district, in order to process a visa application. Regardless of how much guanxi the agent has. The current Consular section policy on this is immovable, and it's been the policy in Houston for at least 2 years. It's not a big deal to provide a photocopy of a driver's license, utility bill, or any other sort of reasonable proof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.