Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:11 pm

Maybe it's to align with reciprocity? Aren't most Chinese given 90 days' stay on U.S. entry?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 889
It's simply not true that border control can't deny you entry because of a Turkey stamp or any other issue.

Not to say they will, but the authority is certainly there.
Yep, border agents can deny you entry for pretty much any reason. Or no reason at all. A sovereign country has the absolute right to deny non citizens entry and doesn't need to provide a reason for doing so. I think the only thing international law requires is that a country take its own citizens whether they are entering voluntarily or involuntarily (deported from another country).

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Visa Datapoint: Approved for 10-year multiple-entry L visa with each entry valid at 90 days (I had put 60 on the application) - US citizen applied in-person at Washington DC visa office - applied on Monday, picked up on Thursday despite not selecting expedited processing - no appointments needed - I did have a Turkish stamp - overall processing and wait times on site were not significant
That's really interesting to know that I could actually get a tourist visa and use it to renew my driver's license!

Originally Posted by 889
Maybe it's to align with reciprocity? Aren't most Chinese given 90 days' stay on U.S. entry?
Well the US has the number of days on the visa but I think the border agent is allowed to give you less than that number of days when you enter. I'd imagine that PRC agents can do the same in theory but the difference is that the US does this routinely.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:21 pm

No, U.S. tourist visas normally have only an expiration date, not a length of permitted stay. The permitted stay is determined and stamped by the immigration officer on arrival.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Most get 180 days upon entry.

uanj likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Best visa service

Hi Everyone,
I am going to be approaching the end of my current 10 year Chinese tourist visa and will be reapplying. Given where I live, it is really inconvenient for me in terms of travel and time to go in person to New York. Last time, I used a service and it worked great - but that was 10 years ago. So 2 questions:
1. Do I have to use my designated consulate? It is several orders of magnitude faster and cheaper for me to go to DC than it is NYC.
2. Assuming I have no choice - is there current thinking on the best, most reliable services as of 2024? I have researched a lot online, but since I haven't investigated this in a while, figured I would ask for your collective input.

Thank You!
Old Mar 10, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by flymetokix
1. Do I have to use my designated consulate? It is several orders of magnitude faster and cheaper for me to go to DC than it is NYC.
2. Assuming I have no choice - is there current thinking on the best, most reliable services as of 2024? I have researched a lot online, but since I haven't investigated this in a while, figured I would ask for your collective input.
Yeah, designated consulate/embassy; you need to provide residency info (address on Drivers License) and that's what they'll go by.

I used mychinavisa.com (CVSC) back in the day; apparently they're still in business.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
If you have some document that has an address on it in the right jurisdiction you should be able to use the DC embassy. No requirement for US people to have a driver's license, there is no national ID card...
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:51 am

Hello!
Are there reports in the last time of China visas not given or delayed processing, taking months because of Turkish stamps? Do they do this *** anymore?
And if you change your passport, do they ask for the previous one?

Last edited by antobogdan; Mar 24, 2024 at 9:56 am
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by antobogdan
Hello!
Are there reports in the last time of China visas not given or delayed processing, taking months because of Turkish stamps? Do they do this *** anymore?
And if you change your passport, do they ask for the previous one?
On the China Visa subreddit, there are reports of various visa applications having to be sent to China, causing processing delays. The reasoning why is not determined and may not even be consistent. I have a Turkish stamp and put Turkey down as a country I had visited in the application, and my application was approved and processed within 3 business days in Washington DC.

Perhaps, it's a multitude of factors - say if you had been to Turkey, were a member of a political party, and work for a government contractor, for example.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Question for full visa holders - what is the advice for onward tickets upon entrance into China? Will they ask for an onward ticket? Would there be an issue if a change is made to that onward ticket (by me)? I have heard that TWOV notes down the provided onward flight and can lead to issues if you change that flight. All of this would be within my allotted stay period (90 days) regardless.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Back when I entered on visas, I was never asked to show proof of onward or return travel once over a 20 year stretch.

The system seems to rely upon people keeping track of their own deadlines and leaving themselves.

They are pretty good at catching and punishing (fines and/or detention) overstays, so I guess the deterrent approach works.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:51 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Question for full visa holders - what is the advice for onward tickets upon entrance into China? Will they ask for an onward ticket? Would there be an issue if a change is made to that onward ticket (by me)? I have heard that TWOV notes down the provided onward flight and can lead to issues if you change that flight. All of this would be within my allotted stay period (90 days) regardless.
With over 150 entries in over 40 years, I cannot recollect ever being asked for an onward ticket.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:52 pm

I am planning to a trip to Guangdong later this year. My trip in this case will be originating from and returning to Singapore.

I'd like to fly to HKG to meet some old acquaintances. Is it possible for me to get from HKG to Zhuhai on the visa waiver using a HK passport?

Or would I need to fly into somewhere in Guangdong and then go to HKG and then fly out to Singapore
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:14 pm

QWill they ask for an onward ticket? Would there be an issue if a change is made to that onward ticket (by me)?
The new immigration form does actually ask that question. No problem changing the ticket (I just did that). Not tried entering with the new form without an onward ticket but I expect it's fine as long as you have a reason.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
.. using a HK passport?
Visa rules don't apply to Chinese citizens (including HK). I think you need a home return permit.
moondog and tentseller like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.