Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Ideas for Weekend Getaways from Beijing?

Old Jul 5, 06, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fly UA 1K & WN A-List, Sleep Marriott Gold & IHG Plat, Drive Hertz. Future FT Fantasy Football Champ

I'm thinking of spending weekends making short Fri-Sun trips to other towns in China (along with a few classmates). Any thoughts on inexpensive train/plane rides to other locations? This is for 4-6 people. Thanks, Ken.
Old Jul 5, 06, 12:54 pm

Chengde, Datong, Shanhaiguan, Qufu. Perhaps Shijiazhuang (for Zhengding, Zhaozhou Qiao). All in a reasonable train or express bus ride of Beijing. If you include flying then most of Eastern China is opened up, and there are innumerable possibilities.

Have you thought of buying a guide book?

Some foreign editions can be found in the Foreign Languages Bookstore on Wangfujing, in the bookshop on the top floor of the Yansha/Lufthansa Centre, and possibly in the large bookshop next to the Oriental Plaza on Wangfujing, or the Beijing Books City in Xi Dan although I haven't looked there.

Peter N-H
Old Jul 5, 06, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for starters, i suggest you look into this weekend's "naughty by nature" event at the goose & duck ranch. although the chances of me attending are close to zero --in the unlikely event i don't bust out of town on friday, the fact that my boss is going to the party severely limits my interest-- everyone i've talked to thinks it's going to be pretty good.

building on the g&d ranch theme, there's a lot to see and do within 2-3 hours north (east/west) of the city. the air is better out there, plus they have things like lakes and mountains.... and, of course, spas.

as for plans that involve taking to the air/rails, qingdao and dalian are the most obvious, but i would also encourage you to check out the northeast. if you do it right, you can even catch a glimpse of north korea in action.

before closing, keep in mind, that 90% of the country is within a stone's throw of beijing insofar as air travel is concerned so you needn't limit yourself to points that are geographically close.
Old Jul 7, 06, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If you use yoee.com or elong.net you can find good cheap deal fares to other cities. I think it would be nice too to spend some time visiting some of the less visited portions of the great wall in the more rural areas.

Search this Thread