Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 Hours in Beijing PEK Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Question 20 Hours in Beijing PEK Airport

I arrive at PEK airport at 5AM and my next flight is from PEK at 1AM the next day, so 20 hours between flights. Given that it is currently cold in Beijing, and I have a busy schedule at my end destination I have decided not to leave the airport to do sightseeing in Beijing. That leaves me with 20 hours to kill in PEK airport.

I fly economy with Air China. Is there a lounge or transit hotel that you can suggest as the best option to kill time and be comfortable for 16-18 hours, without breaking the bank?

All I need is someone clean and quiet with someone to charge my phone/laptop and ideally internet connection (but I have videos on my laptop if the connection doesn't work or not available). Any suggestions? Since I will need to be at the gate at around 11PM-12AM (midnight) I do not know if booking a hotel for the night is possible given I will leave at 11PM-12AM, instead of 10AM the next day.

Suggestions?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Try the Beijing Airport Hilton? It's the low season right now. Just book a room for the day of your arrival for 1 night, and then email them to make sure you can check in in the morning.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I just booked the Hilton on Booking.com and emailed them.

Is there really nothing decent within the Terminal 3?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by BouncingMeteor
Ok, I just booked the Hilton on Booking.com and emailed them.

Is there really nothing decent within the Terminal 3?
I think that's the closest hotel. If I remember correctly, that Hilton is literally right outside of T3.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Ok. Do you really think they'll let me check in at 6AM and check out at 11:30PM?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:37 pm

Ok. Do you really think they'll let me check in at 6AM and check out at 11:30PM?
I've checked into the Hilton Beijing (albeit the downtown location, not the airport one) multiple times at 8 am and been allowed in each time. Unlike hotels in Japan, Chinese hotels are "normal" in terms of check-in strictness. If they have a room available, they should let you in.
BouncingMeteor and PES_B1 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boat stuck
I've checked into the Hilton Beijing (albeit the downtown location, not the airport one) multiple times at 8 am and been allowed in each time. Unlike hotels in Japan, Chinese hotels are "normal" in terms of check-in strictness. If they have a room available, they should let you in.
I just received this reply:

Our hotel check-in standard is 3 pm. we have day use room rate which is half of the dayТs rate, and check-in time from 8am to 6pm. If check-in earlier than 8am and check-out later than 6pm, we will charge 2 whole nights room rate.
I have canceled the booking.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I guess since it is low season now I should be able to find something once I land?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:16 pm

I guess since it is low season now I should be able to find something once I land?
That day use rate seems like a reasonable deal to me, especially since it's half the regular rate? Check in at 8 am, nap/hang out, check out at 6 pm, go eat dinner in the terminal, check in, go through security, take a shower in the lounge, get on the flight.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I would NOT try to find something the day-of. Plan it out in advance.
BouncingMeteor and narvik like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have canceled the booking.
Why? The Hilton is pretty nice, their offer was fair, and the alternatives suck.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Why? The Hilton is pretty nice, their offer was fair, and the alternatives suck.
Maybe he meant he cancelled the regular rate, and booked the day rate instead?

Half the regular rate (assuming they don't mean a fantasy rack rate) for a stay 8am till 6pm, when you arrive at 5am and leave at 1am seems like a perfect deal to me. I wonder if they throw in breakfast and happy hour at the lounge for Elite members too

OP: Alternatively, you could use Air China's free hotel program which you probably qualify:

Air China Free Layover Hotel in Beijing
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Maybe he meant he cancelled the regular rate, and booked the day rate instead?

Half the regular rate (assuming they don't mean a fantasy rack rate) for a stay 8am till 6pm, when you arrive at 5am and leave at 1am seems like a perfect deal to me. I wonder if they throw in breakfast and happy hour at the lounge for Elite members too

OP: Alternatively, you could use Air China's free hotel program which you probably qualify:

Air China Free Layover Hotel in Beijing

Ah, both good points. I didn't think about the Air China free hotel option even though we've been discussing that recently. Before I saw that they are offering decent hotels, I would have advised people in the OP's situation to steer clear and just go for the Hilton, but now that seems like a fairly safe move, assuming the OP can confirm in advance (i.e. showing up at 5a without a plan would not be fun).
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Not sure this is something of interest, but you can find a Spa that will let you have a massage, swim, eat and enjoy their facilities for a number of hours (the number depends on how much ее it costs) for less than the cost of a dayroom.

Otherwise, email or call a few hotels around PEK and see what they can offer.

The other option is to hop on the subway to Sanyuanqiao and find a hotel room around there. There are plenty of nice places to eat around there as well. The subway closes at 22:30, so you'd probably want to head back earlier, or grab a taxi.
BouncingMeteor likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:43 am
formerly rt23456p

As far as I know, CA is gifting airport express metro tickets to compete with CZ on the other side of Beijing, which is also giving out airport express metro tickets.
BouncingMeteor and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I created an Air China account in the app, but when I search for my booking it says it is not found. What am I doing wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.