Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

12 h in Shanghai, is it worth going downtown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue

Asking for relatives: would those of you familiar with Shanghai recommend leaving the airport for a 12h layover?

They are well-traveled but not familiar with China and don't speak a word of Mandarin... Even though they would be eligible to the new visa-free scheme, I fear the border crossing/taxi or public transportation ride/Alipay drama might be too much.

Would you recommend it?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
In and out of PVG?

It's definitely doable.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:28 am

For a daytime transit they can take the Metro and walk Nanjing Road.

Note that sometimes immigration won't stamp out those on short transits, though.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I definitely would. They should have a good 7-8 hours to roam the city.
Try the Maglev one-way, stroll the Bund and Nanjing Rd - maybe visit Xintiandi.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue
Thanks for your input, that is reassuring
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by 889
Note that sometimes immigration won't stamp out those on short transits, though.
If you appeal to the officer's 'patriotic side', and state how much you've been looking forward to visit China and Shanghai; show them some touristy printouts/reservations of the Shanghai tower, and some menu for traditional Shanghai food, and maybe a day hotel reservation, I reckon the chances are high to get a temp. entry permit.
If you just turn up, and have no clue where you're going and how to get into the city, when asked; I could see them denying it.
YMMV.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maalloc
Asking for relatives: would those of you familiar with Shanghai recommend leaving the airport for a 12h layover?

They are well-traveled but not familiar with China and don't speak a word of Mandarin... Even though they would be eligible to the new visa-free scheme, I fear the border crossing/taxi or public transportation ride/Alipay drama might be too much.

Would you recommend it?
If they don't have Alipay (or WeChat pay), they can pull a few 100 CNY (or even just 100) out of an ATM at the airport, buy subway tickets (or refundable public transit cards), and jump on line 2 or the Maglev. The most logical stations to disembark on a short visit (in order to distance from PVG) are Lujiazui, Nanjing Rd E, People's Square, and Jing'an Temple. If they find themselves next to the river (i.e. Bund or Binjiang Park) and want to cross it, the ferries are a cheap, fast, and are part of the Shanghai Metro system.
maalloc likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:39 pm

I would like to say that the urban area of Shanghai is very large, and the flow of people in the city center is also very large. It is recommended to prepare enough time. The most punctual way is to get on the subway.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fufu7755
I would like to say that the urban area of Shanghai is very large, and the flow of people in the city center is also very large. It is recommended to prepare enough time. The most punctual way is to get on the subway.
While it's true that the Shanghai municipality is larger than some of the smallest US states, downtown fits within a 7 by 4 km rectangle, and is pretty easy to navigate.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
While it's true that the Shanghai municipality is larger than some of the smallest US states, downtown fits within a 7 by 4 km rectangle, and is pretty easy to navigate.
You are right. Transportation and navigation are very convenient.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:23 am

Subway station signage is bilingual and you can still buy tickets at the vending machines using cash. Local Chinese pretty much all use their phones to pay now so chances are those machines will be empty.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:05 am

Is it possible to go into the city on a 5hr international transfer (0915-1415)? Even if it’s just a return trip on the Maglev for the novelty factor?

Traveling F/J so should be first off the aircraft and have fast track going back through, if that helps. Just trying to manage expectations having never transited through China.

Last edited by steview111; Mar 8, 2024 at 12:14 am
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steview111
Is it possible to go into the city on a 5hr international transfer (0915-1415)? Even if it’s just a return trip on the Maglev for the novelty factor?

Traveling F/J so should be first off the aircraft and have fast track going back through, if that helps. Just trying to manage expectations having never transited through China.
It's possible logically but I doubt they will stamp you into China for this. They'll direct you to the departure lounge.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by 889
For a daytime transit they can take the Metro and walk Nanjing Road.

​​​​​​
In the german Frequent Traveller forum there are quite a few reports of German passengers who already used the visa free entry via PVG.

None of them was asked about the departure ticket etc. at all.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by wwtknoyb
​​​​​​
In the german Frequent Traveller forum there are quite a few reports of German passengers who already used the visa free entry via PVG.

None of them was asked about the departure ticket etc. at all.
We're now talking about two different things.
One is the TWOV (Transit Without Visa) for an up-to 144hr transit. The other is the visa-free enry for up to 15 days for nationals of 6 (soon-to-be 12) countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.