Reload this Page >

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
Notice: This thread pertains strictly to visa free transit.
China (the PRC) has several programs that permit travelers with most passports to transit in China without the need to obtain a visa for periods of 24, 72, or 144 hours. These policies are commonly referred to as "transit without visa", "TWOV", or "visa free transit". They have almost completely replaced transit visas, but technically aren't visas.

This thread is functionally the same as its archived predecessor:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...er-thread.html

What's more, the information contained in the wikipost of the previous thread is still (as of 2024) reasonably accurate. However, since that wikipost had evolved into a long and tedious read, we decided to start anew.

Following are summaries of some of the key points:

1. "transit", in the case of all TWOV policies, requires entering and exiting China directly from different countries. For example, USA-China-Japan is okay, while Japan-China-Japan is not, even if you don't actually enter Japan in either direction (i.e. LAX-TYO-SHA is regarded as TYO-SHA).

2. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau are functionally regarded as separate entities for the sake of TWOV, mean routings such as Hong Kong - Shanghai - Macau are permitted.

3. 24-hour TWOV applies to most combinations of conceivable ports of entries/exits, whereas 72 and 144 TWOV is restricted to travel within specific zones (e.g. if you enter China via Shanghai, you are required to remain within the boundaries of Shanghai/Jiangsu/Zhejiang during your stay and must exit from an approved checkpoint within the same area).

4. Your first port of entry in China establishes your zone, and this is the case even for flights that make intermediate stops within China (e.g. CA154 HIJ-PEK stops in DLC, so if you want 144 TVOW, you need to terminate in Dalian and remain within Liaoning Province, and if terminate in Beijing, you'll need to depart China within 24 hours of your arrival in DLC).

5. Visitors to this thread are welcome to provide specific itineraries for us to comment on here, but we encourage you to query TIMATIC (there are numerous free TIMATIC interfaces available on the internet, some better than others) for your specific case first because approved ports change from time to time and there are some variances based on passport/citizenship.

6. In order to avail of TWOV, you should be prepared to demonstrate compliance with both your inbound transportation provider (almost certainly an airline) and at the arrival border checkpoint. Proof of onward travel within the applicable time frame (i.e. 24, 72, or 144 hours) is essential, so even if your plan is to walk across an approved land border upon exit, you may well be denied boarding if you fail to produce a confirmed onward plane/boat/bus ticket.

7. Proof of accommodation in China is not technically required, BUT reserving a hotel room, for at least the first night, is advisable because doing so preempts "where are you staying?" conversations and staying in a hotel will ensure compliance with the "all foreigners must register with a PSB within 24/72 hours" rule.

8. In some cases (e.g. daytime layovers within the same terminal facility), applicants for 24-hour TWOV might be permitted to transit, but denied permits to enter the country. There are a number of ways to minimize (or completely eliminate) the odds of being denied an entry permit.

Print Wikipost

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:13 am

Quick question re: hidden city ticketing:

Booked MAD-AMS-XMN-SHA on one PNR in J

Need to get to Japan - don't really care where between KIX/NGO/TYO

I understand that I can do e.g. XMN-SHA-PVG-NGO if with an eligible passport and so long as I'm in China for <24hrs total from point of landing in XMN.

Is it possible for me to waste the XMN-SHA flight, then apply for a 144 hr TWOV, subsequently flying XMN-KIX direct to exit China? Would I face any issues when attempting to check in for this itinerary in MAD?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:32 am

Whats your Nationality? (Since you start in MAD, I'd assume Spanish?)

Spanish Nationals don't need a Visa for visits to China (up to 15 days) so you could do whatever you want in that case.. if not:

Your plan to throw away the last segment and change your plans from what you've originally suggested will most probably not work if you need to use TWOV, or at least give you some long waiting time on the ground while authorities check what's going on.

On checkin in MAD, they'd want to see a flight out of China within 24hrs of arriving there, and that flight should be out of Shanghai, not out of XMN, as your ticket ends in Shanghai, not Xiamen.

If you buy a fully refundable ticket (Shanghai-Japan) that makes you eligible for the checkin in MAD, then cancel it after passed the airline check, you might have quite some explaining to do in XMN, as the immigration staff - at least in theory - should see that you suddenly changed plans, and that might end VERY badly for you. Or it works out just fine. In fact, when TWOV was still fresh, and you didn't had to "pre-register" at your point of embarkation, and just show up at the TWOV counter, presenting your incoming and outgoing flights, it would have worked. But now, with airlines basically having to pre-register your schedule with authorities? I'd not try it.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

If he is a convincing and friendly talker, I'd actually give him pretty high odds at pulling off his plan, based on my hunch that xmn border control would grant him a 144 hour entry permit when presented with a xmn-japan ticket. Furthermore, since he would already have the sha-japan ticket (departing within 24 hours) that he used to board mad-xmn, he'd presumably be able to fall back on it as a last resort. In either case, he'd receive an entry permit (24 or 144 hours) in Xiamen because that's the port of entry.

ETA
​​​​​dmoz In case it's not obvious, I feel compelled to disclaim that my assessment should not be misconstrued as actual advice. Since I've never seen a switcharoo like you're contemplating in practice, I don't know exactly how it would pan out in the field.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 5, 2024 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by hoops777
Hi to all.
This has been driving me nuts so hopefully I can get an answer here.
We are flying from California to Singapore then to HK to board our cruise.
The last country before disembarking in Tianjin/Beijing is S. Korea.
We are staying in Beijing for 2 nights post cruise.
Our flight home to California stops in Seoul for 2 hours.
I am thinking this disqualifies me because our last cruise stop before Beijing was Seoul.
If I change my flight to a non stop Beijing to California will that qualify us for the 144 hour stay?
Greatly appreciate some help!
What if you don't disembark the cruise in Korea?
Then your last stop would have been Hong Kong, or wherever you did disembark.
You could then fly to Korea when leaving on the TWOV.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
What if you don't disembark the cruise in Korea?
Then your last stop would have been Hong Kong, or wherever you did disembark.
You could then fly to Korea when leaving on the TWOV.
That's an interesting idea (though hopefully the last stop before Korea isn't HK because that's the starting point). I wouldn't be too thrilled holding several thousand dollars in Asiana money (assuming the OP isn't able to swing a cash refund), especially with their merger on the horizon. And, a couple extra days in Beijing would be a positive. But, a word of warning: flights that make multiple stops in China are somewhat common between secondary Japanese cities and Beijing (this isn't always obvious because they display as "direct"), and should be avoided.

Another, admittedly annoying, way to play it would be to fly from Korea to Beijing via Japan/Taiwan/HK instead of taking the boat on the final leg.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:57 am

Nightmare with Royal Caribbean

Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, you should change to a flight that goes somewhere other than Korea. In the event nonstops from Beijing to the US are prohibitively expensive (there are only ~10 per week IIRC), you can look into connecting in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and maybe Canada (Europe and the Middle East are also legal, but presumably not practical). Note that connections/stops within Mainland China would disqualify you from 144 hour TWOV (e.g. BJS-XMN-LAX is not okay).
I changed my flight to a non stop back to California.
i qualify for the twov…..and now…
Royal Caribbean insists I need a visa, even for HK.
I am totally lost and frustrated beyond words.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I changed my flight to a non stop back to California.
i qualify for the twov…..and now…
Royal Caribbean insists I need a visa, even for HK.
I am totally lost and frustrated beyond words.
From their FAQ:

Q Do I need any visas to cruise to and from other countries?
A
Based on your nationality, you may require an entry visa to board your cruise or enter certain countries your cruise visits. It is the guests' responsibility to identify and to obtain all the necessary visas before commencing their cruise.

Visa Guidance for All Nationalities

Guests of all Nationalities should contact the Embassy (Consular Services) of each country on your cruise for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees for your nationality. Guests may then contact a company that assists with securing and processing visas for travelers.
This should be pretty easy for you to win. If I were in your shoes, I'd start out by providing them with relevant TIMATIC printouts (or PDFs); for the current China TWOV text, just enter: passport = USA, origin = South Korea, destination = USA, and transit country = China. In the unlikely event they give you pushback about using TIMATIC as a source (on the one hand they're not an air transport provider, but on the other hand, this doesn't render TIMATIC's required docs information any less accurate/applicable), let us know, and we can try to dig up some other sources. In any event, Royal Caribbean doesn't assert that it's an arbiter of visa requirements (i.e. at least on the FAQ webpage, they defer to "the Embassy of each country"), so they're not really in any position to complain.

ETA: For TIMATIC, make sure the version you use lists Tianjin Port as a valid entry point. And, screen grabs that include the specific source (e.g. Emirates website) along with time stamps might be better received than copied text.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 5, 2024 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:28 pm

I called Costco Travel who booked the cruise and got them to call Royal Caribbean.
Finally someone competent at RC called me and said they strongly recommend China visa but not mandatory.
So I guess we are ok.

I do have a question about the TWOV.
How does it work in terms of who and when do you see to process it in China?
I don’t need to fill out any forms before leaving for the trip, just have all our itineraries and proof of airline tickets?
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

I do have a question about the TWOV.
How does it work in terms of who and when do you see to process it in China?
I don’t need to fill out any forms before leaving for the trip, just have all our itineraries and proof of airline tickets?
If I'm not mistaken you are our the first ever TWOV arrival by boat (a few others have departed by boat) data point, but I can't imagine you'll encounter any issues in Tianjin. You definitely need to prepare proof of onward travel from within the same zone (PEK qualifies) and a hotel reservation, while not absolutely required, would also be a useful prop. Then when you get to the port, look for relevant signage and/or ask which line(s) can issue visa free entry permits. Be sure that the processing officer understands you will be departing >24 hours later so he/she doesn't accidentally give you the wrong stamp.

You might also want to bring along timatic printouts (the more current, the better) to show any Carnival gatekeepers who might not be familiar with China entry policy.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
If I'm not mistaken you are our the first ever TWOV arrival by boat...
My parents did a cruise that had Tianjin (for Beijing) as a port of call. It was perhaps 10 years ago, but I know they didn't have a visa. I imagine that cruise ship operators would be familiar with who does and doesn't require a visa.
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
My parents did a cruise that had Tianjin (for Beijing) as a port of call. It was perhaps 10 years ago, but I know they didn't have a visa. I imagine that cruise ship operators would be familiar with who does and doesn't require a visa.
You would imagine that but after 3 hours on the phone, believe me, they are clueless.
They were insisting I needed one for Hong Kong and when I called a couple weeks ago one told me I needed one for Japan and Korea.
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:38 pm

If I'm not mistaken you are our the first ever TWOV arrival by boat (a few others have departed by boat) data point, but I can't imagine you'll encounter any issues in Tianjin. You definitely need to prepare proof of onward travel from within the same zone (PEK qualifies) and a hotel reservation, while not absolutely required, would also be a useful prop. Then when you get to the port, look for relevant signage and/or ask which line(s) can issue visa free entry permits. Be sure that the processing officer understands you will be departing >24 hours later so he/she doesn't accidentally give you the wrong stamp.

You might also want to bring along timatic printouts (the more current, the better) to show any Carnival gatekeepers who might not be familiar with China entry policy.
‘Thanks for all the help. You have no idea how much difference your help made .
moondog and Xyzzy like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
You would imagine that but after 3 hours on the phone, believe me, they are clueless.
They were insisting I needed one for Hong Kong and when I called a couple weeks ago one told me I needed one for Japan and Korea.
The Royal Caribbean agents are absolutely wrong, and the fact that they told you you need visas for Japan and Korea corroborate that. I'm based in Shanghai and have taken multiple cruises to Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong on Royal (US passport, China residence permit) and have not run into this problem.

That said, the cruise company can deny you boarding, even if it's based on ignorance (google story about the Chinese professor who was denied boarding to an NCL ship from New York when he was actually eligible). What is your cruise itinerary? I find that the terminal staff in Shanghai to be quite knowledgeable (probably because they see so much volume) but this may not be the case in other ports.

Edited to add: Looks like you are embarking in Hong Kong on the 12-night Serenade. Hong Kong should have knowledgeable staff. I have cruised on Spectrum when it was homeported there. I would suggest contacting Royal Caribbean in HK, or just being prepared with documentation 144-TWOV. Is there a reason you're calling RCCL now? Are they threatening to withhold cruise docs if you don't provide visas? If not, I wouldn't bother with US customer service at all.
Xyzzy and Majuki like this.

Last edited by YariGuy; Feb 6, 2024 at 3:12 am
Old Feb 6, 2024, 9:22 am

[QUOTE=YariGuy;35974508]The Royal Caribbean agents are absolutely wrong, and the fact that they told you you need visas for Japan and Korea corroborate that. I'm based in Shanghai and have taken multiple cruises to Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong on Royal (US passport, China residence permit) and have not run into this problem.

That said, the cruise company can deny you boarding, even if it's based on ignorance (google story about the Chinese professor who was denied boarding to an NCL ship from New York when he was actually eligible). What is your cruise itinerary? I find that the terminal staff in Shanghai to be quite knowledgeable (probably because they see so much volume) but this may not be the case in other ports.

Edited to add: Looks like you are embarking in Hong Kong on the 12-night Serenade. Hong Kong should have knowledgeable staff. I have cruised on Spectrum when it was homeported there. I would suggest contacting Royal Caribbean in HK, or just being prepared with documentation 144-TWOV. Is there a reason you're calling RCCL now? Are they threatening to withhold cruise docs if you don't provide visas? If not, I wouldn't bother with US customer service at all.[/QUOTE

Thank you.
I was totally stressed about the visa. Every time I have traveled and needed a visa I just got a n evisa online for other countries so I assumed China was the same. My mistake.
A called RC simply to verify all the information about the TWOV, etc.
When you think about it, everyone on the ship is entering Tianjin from Korea and certainly a huge pct are flying home to a third country. I wonder how many people on the cruise actually need a visa? 10% ?
It is expensive and a huge hassle to get a Chinese visa and one would think a huge international cruise line would be better informed and care more about their passengers.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 11:04 am

From my experience arriving at Tianjin Airport back in December, with Tianjin Airlines inbound from Osaka, the by far most important thing for customs and immigration has actually been the Trip.com Hotel reservation for the first night.

From all the different Airlines I have used during my trips throughout China I have always received the immigration card, which is completely useless for TWOV.

There is a specific one for TWOV, but no Airline seems to have it on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.