Reload this Page >

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
Notice: This thread pertains strictly to visa free transit.
China (the PRC) has several programs that permit travelers with most passports to transit in China without the need to obtain a visa for periods of 24, 72, or 144 hours. These policies are commonly referred to as "transit without visa", "TWOV", or "visa free transit". They have almost completely replaced transit visas, but technically aren't visas.

This thread is functionally the same as its archived predecessor:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...er-thread.html

What's more, the information contained in the wikipost of the previous thread is still (as of 2024) reasonably accurate. However, since that wikipost had evolved into a long and tedious read, we decided to start anew.

Following are summaries of some of the key points:

1. "transit", in the case of all TWOV policies, requires entering and exiting China directly from different countries. For example, USA-China-Japan is okay, while Japan-China-Japan is not, even if you don't actually enter Japan in either direction (i.e. LAX-TYO-SHA is regarded as TYO-SHA).

2. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau are functionally regarded as separate entities for the sake of TWOV, mean routings such as Hong Kong - Shanghai - Macau are permitted.

3. 24-hour TWOV applies to most combinations of conceivable ports of entries/exits, whereas 72 and 144 TWOV is restricted to travel within specific zones (e.g. if you enter China via Shanghai, you are required to remain within the boundaries of Shanghai/Jiangsu/Zhejiang during your stay and must exit from an approved checkpoint within the same area).

4. Your first port of entry in China establishes your zone, and this is the case even for flights that make intermediate stops within China (e.g. CA154 HIJ-PEK stops in DLC, so if you want 144 TVOW, you need to terminate in Dalian and remain within Liaoning Province, and if terminate in Beijing, you'll need to depart China within 24 hours of your arrival in DLC).

5. Visitors to this thread are welcome to provide specific itineraries for us to comment on here, but we encourage you to query TIMATIC (there are numerous free TIMATIC interfaces available on the internet, some better than others) for your specific case first because approved ports change from time to time and there are some variances based on passport/citizenship.

6. In order to avail of TWOV, you should be prepared to demonstrate compliance with both your inbound transportation provider (almost certainly an airline) and at the arrival border checkpoint. Proof of onward travel within the applicable time frame (i.e. 24, 72, or 144 hours) is essential, so even if your plan is to walk across an approved land border upon exit, you may well be denied boarding if you fail to produce a confirmed onward plane/boat/bus ticket.

7. Proof of accommodation in China is not technically required, BUT reserving a hotel room, for at least the first night, is advisable because doing so preempts "where are you staying?" conversations and staying in a hotel will ensure compliance with the "all foreigners must register with a PSB within 24/72 hours" rule.

8. In some cases (e.g. daytime layovers within the same terminal facility), applicants for 24-hour TWOV might be permitted to transit, but denied permits to enter the country. There are a number of ways to minimize (or completely eliminate) the odds of being denied an entry permit.

Print Wikipost

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwtknoyb
Just like CA did at the end of October during the switch from S23 to W23/24 flight plan, suddenly CA BUD-CKG passenger flights on Wednesday are back starting 7th of February.
I'm curious about what that means, but maybe you intended to post to a different thread?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
You wouldn't need to insert a nested RT if you fly nonstop between AKL and CAN in one direction.
Sorry what do you mean by a nested RT?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 4:22 am

I'm curious about what that means, but maybe you intended to post to a different thread?
About two weeks ago I wrote that CA stopped BUD-CKG, because it was impossible to book anywhere.

Now, suddenly it is back and can be booked.

They did the same at end of Summer season at the end of October 2023. It was impossible to book BUD-CKG for November onwards. 2-3 weeks later it suddenly reappeared.

At the same time CA BUD-PEK is always bookable. It seems that they regularly reevaluate the CKG rotation.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
Sorry what do you mean by a nested RT?
I think nested return flight, e.g. this is an acceptable itinerary where you TWOV twice: AKL - HKG - CAN - XYZ - CAN - HKG - AKL, where CAN - XYZ - CAN is the nested return
But you could skip the third country by flying direct in one direction, e.g.: AKL - HKG - CAN - AKL

Although were you suggesting, AKL - HKG - CAN - XYZ - HKG - AKL, where CAN - XYZ - HKG is a separate ticket?
^I had no problems with itinerary similar to above when travelling to PVG, at Auckland was asked for a Visa and instead presented the separate ticket and mentioned TWOV and had no issues.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:27 am
Original Poster

@all I took a crack at starting the wikipost for this thread today. I'm sure I missed, or didn't sufficiently detail, a few key points. Plus, the formatting isn't especially pretty (I haven't been able to use rich formatting on FT for the past month or so). So, feel free to add/edit/modify as you see fit.
narvik and tassie6 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
@all I took a crack at starting the wikipost for this thread today. I'm sure I missed, or didn't sufficiently detail, a few key points. Plus, the formatting isn't especially pretty (I haven't been able to use rich formatting on FT for the past month or so). So, feel free to add/edit/modify as you see fit.

Good stuff.
Maybe need to mention [more specifically] that internal China-transit is allowed, BUT ONLY with a 24-hour TWOV; i.e. Oslo - Beijing - Guangzhou - Auckland is allowed providing arrival in Beijing and departure from Guangzhou is within 24 hours.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Good stuff.
Maybe need to mention [more specifically] that internal China-transit is allowed, BUT ONLY with a 24-hour TWOV; i.e. Oslo - Beijing - Guangzhou - Auckland is allowed providing arrival in Beijing and departure from Guangzhou is within 24 hours.
Thanks. I added the internal transit subtopic as a new point 4 (and renumbered previous points 4-7). If you think my explanation was confusing and/or insufficient, feel free to modify (I tried to use words judiciously).
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:09 am

Might add at the top a "Skip this if you're German, etc" alert. At least for this year.
moondog and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:27 am

Is this ok on a 144 visa?

I have booked flights for family for LHR to PVG for 15 nights UK passport, We are now thinking about staying on the 144 hour visa then booking a flight PVG to Hanoi (or somewhere else in Vietnam) then flying back into China for another 144 visa not sure if this is allowed also would prefer to fly into Beijing before traveling back to Shanghai via train for flight home. Any help appreciated thanks
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Trinity126
I have booked flights for family for LHR to PVG for 15 nights UK passport, We are now thinking about staying on the 144 hour visa then booking a flight PVG to Hanoi (or somewhere else in Vietnam) then flying back into China for another 144 visa not sure if this is allowed also would prefer to fly into Beijing before traveling back to Shanghai via train for flight home. Any help appreciated thanks
Please -- it is NT a visa. It's permission to transit without a visa. Each time you enter you must have proof of onward travel (even if on a separate ticket) within the defined 144 hour period (as discussed above).

With regard to your specific plans, what you have proposed will NOT work. Arrival in the Beijing region and departure from Shanghai region is not allowed. These are different regions and travel between them under the 144 hour TWOV scheme is not allowed. Travel LHR-PEK, PEK-HAN-PVG, PVG-LHR, however, will work because you wouldn't be going between regions within China. If you have a LHR-PVG return ticket booked you will have to leave and re-enter China twice in order to travel betweek PEK and BJS and visit China without a visa. Ex: LHR-PVG-HKG-PEK, PEK-HAN-PVG, PVG-LHR.

You should have a detailed look at the Wiki at the top of this thread for more details.
moondog and Trinity126 like this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 4, 2024 at 11:02 am
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:21 pm

144 hour qualifying question

Hi to all.
This has been driving me nuts so hopefully I can get an answer here.
We are flying from California to Singapore then to HK to board our cruise.
The last country before disembarking in Tianjin/Beijing is S. Korea.
We are staying in Beijing for 2 nights post cruise.
Our flight home to California stops in Seoul for 2 hours.
I am thinking this disqualifies me because our last cruise stop before Beijing was Seoul.
If I change my flight to a non stop Beijing to California will that qualify us for the 144 hour stay?
Greatly appreciate some help!
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hoops777
Hi to all.
This has been driving me nuts so hopefully I can get an answer here.
We are flying from California to Singapore then to HK to board our cruise.
The last country before disembarking in Tianjin/Beijing is S. Korea.
We are staying in Beijing for 2 nights post cruise.
Our flight home to California stops in Seoul for 2 hours.
I am thinking this disqualifies me because our last cruise stop before Beijing was Seoul.
If I change my flight to a non stop Beijing to California will that qualify us for the 144 hour stay?
Greatly appreciate some help!
Yes, you should change to a flight that goes somewhere other than Korea. In the event nonstops from Beijing to the US are prohibitively expensive (there are only ~10 per week IIRC), you can look into connecting in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and maybe Canada (Europe and the Middle East are also legal, but presumably not practical). Note that connections/stops within Mainland China would disqualify you from 144 hour TWOV (e.g. BJS-XMN-LAX is not okay).

Last edited by moondog; Feb 4, 2024 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thank you.
I will call tomorrow and see if Asiana will cancel flight at a reasonable cost.
United has a non stop that is same price as my original flight.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:53 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoops777
Thank you.
I will call tomorrow and see if Asiana will cancel flight at a reasonable cost.
United has a non stop that is same price as my original flight.
When did you book? Remember that the US mandates that you be able to cancel any plane ticket you buy within 24 hours with no charge, even nonrefundable tickets.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:04 pm

Thanks.
I booked the Asiana a few months ago so have no idea what they will charge.
I booked the United non stop today with the idea of canceling tomorrow if Asiana wants too much to cancel.
YariGuy and uanj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.