Reload this Page >

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
Notice: This thread pertains strictly to visa free transit.
China (the PRC) has several programs that permit travelers with most passports to transit in China without the need to obtain a visa for periods of 24, 72, or 144 hours. These policies are commonly referred to as "transit without visa", "TWOV", or "visa free transit". They have almost completely replaced transit visas, but technically aren't visas.

This thread is functionally the same as its archived predecessor:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...er-thread.html

What's more, the information contained in the wikipost of the previous thread is still (as of 2024) reasonably accurate. However, since that wikipost had evolved into a long and tedious read, we decided to start anew.

Following are summaries of some of the key points:

1. "transit", in the case of all TWOV policies, requires entering and exiting China directly from different countries. For example, USA-China-Japan is okay, while Japan-China-Japan is not, even if you don't actually enter Japan in either direction (i.e. LAX-TYO-SHA is regarded as TYO-SHA).

2. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau are functionally regarded as separate entities for the sake of TWOV, mean routings such as Hong Kong - Shanghai - Macau are permitted.

3. 24-hour TWOV applies to most combinations of conceivable ports of entries/exits, whereas 72 and 144 TWOV is restricted to travel within specific zones (e.g. if you enter China via Shanghai, you are required to remain within the boundaries of Shanghai/Jiangsu/Zhejiang during your stay and must exit from an approved checkpoint within the same area).

4. Your first port of entry in China establishes your zone, and this is the case even for flights that make intermediate stops within China (e.g. CA154 HIJ-PEK stops in DLC, so if you want 144 TVOW, you need to terminate in Dalian and remain within Liaoning Province, and if terminate in Beijing, you'll need to depart China within 24 hours of your arrival in DLC).

5. Visitors to this thread are welcome to provide specific itineraries for us to comment on here, but we encourage you to query TIMATIC (there are numerous free TIMATIC interfaces available on the internet, some better than others) for your specific case first because approved ports change from time to time and there are some variances based on passport/citizenship.

6. In order to avail of TWOV, you should be prepared to demonstrate compliance with both your inbound transportation provider (almost certainly an airline) and at the arrival border checkpoint. Proof of onward travel within the applicable time frame (i.e. 24, 72, or 144 hours) is essential, so even if your plan is to walk across an approved land border upon exit, you may well be denied boarding if you fail to produce a confirmed onward plane/boat/bus ticket.

7. Proof of accommodation in China is not technically required, BUT reserving a hotel room, for at least the first night, is advisable because doing so preempts "where are you staying?" conversations and staying in a hotel will ensure compliance with the "all foreigners must register with a PSB within 24/72 hours" rule.

8. In some cases (e.g. daytime layovers within the same terminal facility), applicants for 24-hour TWOV might be permitted to transit, but denied permits to enter the country. There are a number of ways to minimize (or completely eliminate) the odds of being denied an entry permit.

Print Wikipost

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV"), 2024 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

China is much better positioned to facilitate connections than India. After the remaining trade barriers are removed, the machine will be able to return to its former glory.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:47 am

I agree with moondog. I once had a 6hrs transfer through DEL - in Business class - Not that much fun.

Even in Economy, without Status and lounge access, any Chinese airport is better than the crazy mess I experienced there. And the Chinese airports don't really put the bar THAT high up, to start with..
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:05 am

Regarding Airports in India I could not agree more.

At DEL even eating at McD can end up with some slight tummy discomfort.

But Indigo has ordered hundreds of Aircrafts and is already in Codeshare agreements with QR, TK.

I really would like to see the faces of the passengers who booked QR DOH-DEL/BOM, paid a lot of money only to end up in an 6E Aircraft with next to no seat cushion, no IFE etc.

TK IST-DEL/BOM is even worse. 530 people in the B777.

But I have to admit. 130 EUR from Europe to Asia with 30 kg checked luggage is very tempting.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by wwtknoyb

Edit: If you google Switzerland visa free China, it seems to be official by now.
Pretty sure the only thing official is that they sort of, quasi, semi agreed to possibly grant 15 days visa free entry to Swiss citizens.
It's not actually happened yet.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Pretty sure the only thing official is that they sort of, quasi, semi agreed to possibly grant 15 days visa free entry to Swiss citizens.
Is not Xinhua the state official news agency in China ?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
My reading of the articles is that the Switzerland visa free entry policy is a done deal...now, simply working its way through the chopping process.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by wwtknoyb
Is not Xinhua the state official news agency in China ?
Originally Posted by moondog
My reading of the articles is that the Switzerland visa free entry policy is a done deal...now, simply working its way through the chopping process.
Oh, yeah. Seems the Chinese side is far more certain in its language than the Swiss (who seem a bit more ambiguous)

"The Chinese side will grant unilateral visa-free treatment to the Swiss side..."

Very cool.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:05 pm

The Republic of Irland joins the fun, too. Visa-free, same rules as for Switzerland apparently (ie, not a trial like for the other western countries)

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/2024...1a507cdb4.html
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The Republic of Irland joins the fun, too. Visa-free, same rules as for Switzerland apparently (ie, not a trial like for the other western countries)

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/2024...1a507cdb4.html
Already being discussed here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35917802-post78.html
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Here's hoping Scandinavian countries will follow suit...
criced likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Rather hoping Britain will follow, but, alas, the government of Little Britain has decided being unfriendly to Johnny foreigner will win an election at home. I don't see reciprocity being a thing this side of November.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:56 pm

1)
Originally Posted by Internaut
...but, alas, the government of Little Britain has decided being unfriendly to Johnny foreigner will win an election at home...
I sense there is a lot of hidden innuendo and meaning behind that statement, none of which I understand.

2)
Originally Posted by Internaut
I don't see reciprocity being a thing this side of November.
All the recent announcements and agreements by China to allow other countries' citizens 15-day visa free entry into China are unilateral, and do not require reciprocity.

3)
Wrong thread.

moondog and uanj like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Hello, just wondering if the below routing/purchasing of airfares make me eligible for the 144 hour TWOV in Guangzhou?

Purchase an Air NZ MultiStop AKL to CAN via HKG to go there, then HKG to AKL departing a few weeks later. Then separately purchase a CAN to 3rd Country plane ticket for departure less than the six days from arriving into CAN on a different airline.

Would this be allowed?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 31, 2024, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

You wouldn't need to insert a nested RT if you fly nonstop between AKL and CAN in one direction.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:45 am

Just like CA did at the end of October during the switch from S23 to W23/24 flight plan, suddenly CA BUD-CKG passenger flights on Wednesday are back starting 7th of February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.