Search

Beijing and Shanghai malls?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Beijing and Shanghai malls?

Are there any good new malls that have opened since the pandemic? Pre-pandemic, I would visit the Oriental Plaza and Guomao in Beijing. IFC and Superbrand in Shanghai was also pretty good. I'm not sure if I'm missing any other ones. Suggestions?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

New malls are continuing to pop up all over China at a breakneck pace, often as part of mixed use developments. Whether or not they are good is a subjective matter. Personally, I often prefer the grimy neighborhoods that they displace and I fail to see the utility of never being more than 2 km away from a Ferragamo store, but I know a lot of people who equate malls with progress.

I think 1000 trees is kind of cool looking though.
https://www.archdaily.com/975297/100...herwick-studio
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I went to a mall recently that I was around for when it was built and brand new (in Tongzhou, Beijing) maybe 8 years ago. The thing was falling apart, more than 70% of the thing was empty, and it looked horrible.
Malls seem to have about a 10-year life expectancy in China.
moondog and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Beijing

Modern Plaza in Haidian closing end of this year. A very nice grocery store in lower level of this 7-story retail mall between 3rd & 4th ring roads in Beijing. The mall really was not busy except on weekends, probably because online sales were easier and cheaper with inclusive delivery. The mall building was about 15 years old with unique food court area (pre-pandemic) which is gone now.

Upscale malls in Guomao area of Beijing are busy in the evening hours, all the brands are there. Several subway lines nearby. They even have a Sephora store with both chinese & western cosmetics.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Jiatong; Dec 25, 2023 at 4:59 pm Reason: splng
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Jiatong
Modern Plaza in Haidian closing end of this year. A very nice grocery store in lower level of this 7-story retail mall between 3rd & 4th ring roads in Beijing. The mall really was not busy except on weekends, probably because online sales were easier and cheaper with inclusive delivery. The mall building was about 15 years old with unique food court area (pre-pandemic) which is gone now.

Upscale malls in Guomao area of Beijing are busy in the evening hours, all the brands are there. Several subway lines nearby. They even have a Sephora store with both chinese & western cosmetics.
Do you mean the whole mall is shutting down? Seems like a similar trend that is happening outside of China as malls are under pressure from e-commerce.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Do you mean the whole mall is shutting down? Seems like a similar trend that is happening outside of China as malls are under pressure from e-commerce.
China's mall trend is very different than the US. Amazingly, demand doesn't appear to be saturated yet and developers are putting up enormous ones in remote suburban locations like Shanghai's Korea Town.

But, the construction quality is often dreadful, and/or the owners want to go up market after about 7 years (starting from scratch is often more efficient than trying to renovate complete crap).

I do predict the mall business will crash at some point, but it is definitely still growing. And, I don't sense that online sales are a huge threat; malls are places to go and see (and be seen by) other humans.
lsquare and narvik like this.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 25, 2023 at 6:23 pm
Old Dec 25, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes, the entire Haidian Modern Plaza is closing , my guess the building may be repurposed. The other newer 6 story mall a few blocks away on Zhongguancun st is open.

The California style mall in Chaoyang, Salanoa, seems to be about the same as prior to the Pandemic, maybe a couple less restaurants. And the nearby river/lake water seems to be cleaner.
lsquare and moondog like this.

Last edited by Jiatong; Dec 25, 2023 at 9:18 pm Reason: splng
Old Dec 25, 2023, 10:55 pm

Mixc is a particularly agressive mall operator.
http://localhost:3000/posts/mixc-luxury-mall-china-second-third-tie

Eta: that link seems to be bunk (it changes to localhost when I copy it).

If you want to read the article, go to jingdaily.com and search for mixc.

Unlike Soho, their malls all seem to be pretty much the same (architecture, layout, anchor tenants), so kind of boring, but I often seek them out when visiting lower tier cities because decent food is almost guaranteed.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 25, 2023 at 11:06 pm
Old Dec 26, 2023, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Mixc is a particularly agressive mall operator.
http://localhost:3000/posts/mixc-lux...cond-third-tie

Eta: that link seems to be bunk (it changes to localhost when I copy it).

If you want to read the article, go to jingdaily.com and search for mixc.

Unlike Soho, their malls all seem to be pretty much the same (architecture, layout, anchor tenants), so kind of boring, but I often seek them out when visiting lower tier cities because decent food is almost guaranteed.
CR land is basically the Chinese government building malls. Not surprised they are expanding as the government needs to spend to get the economy going again.
lsquare, moondog and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Solana is probably the best overall in warmer months though doesnt have any high end places. Its a decent destination for a 'day out'.

Indigo near Lido has an outstanding winter garden, arguably one of the best malls in BJ. Nothing high end though.

Shine Hills in Shunyi. Its an outstanding mall for the community it serves but probably not worth making the trek from downtown for it. Does have an interesting store called 'Fudi' which is a local take on Sams Club though slightly more upmarket.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.