Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Business travel to China - Any major issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business travel to China - Any major issues?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by rts123
I can see where it (or Alipay which I'll take a shot at for the next trip) would be useful for longer visits and essential for those living there.
Thanks for the update.

RE: AliPay vs. WeChat
Although both are used in Beijing and Shanghai, I reckon Alipay is more a Shanghai thing, whereas Wechat is dominant in Beijing.
I.e. you're better off with Alipay in Shanghai anyways.
rts123 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since we have that massive wx/ap thread, I'll keep this brief, but I can't recall ever seeing a bricks and mortar merchant anywhere that accepted one and not the other.

For online purchases, if the vendor is owned by Baba or Tencent, it is often difficult or impossible to pay using the competing platform, but this isn't a regional issue.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 12, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Since we have that massive ex/ap thread, I'll keep this brief, but I can't recall ever seeing a bricks and mortar merchant anywhere that accepted one and not the other.

For online purchases, if the vendor is owned by Baba or Tencent, it is often difficult or impossible to pay using the competing platform, but this isn't a regional issue.
It wasn't a coincidence that most health stuff in Shanghai went through Alipay and in Beijing through Wechat.
I look at which QR code is prominently displayed in the two cities.
I stand by my assertion. 😛
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I'm a little surprised that it is not mentioned in the State Department's advisory, but cybersecurity is one area where you may want to take extra care, especially if you handle trade secrets of any kind. From what I can gather, for the last several years, most savvy MNCs require employees to take "burner" phones and laptops to China that are set up to access everything through a VPN connection, so that no sensitive data is stored on the device itself, and to keep said devices with them at all times and only use their own chargers/dongles. This is of course good practice wherever you go, but there are particularly a lot of stories coming out of business travel to China where people suddenly find weird spyware on their devices etc.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
I'm a little surprised that it is not mentioned in the State Department's advisory, but cybersecurity is one area where you may want to take extra care, especially if you handle trade secrets of any kind. From what I can gather, for the last several years, most savvy MNCs require employees to take "burner" phones and laptops to China that are set up to access everything through a VPN connection, so that no sensitive data is stored on the device itself, and to keep said devices with them at all times and only use their own chargers/dongles. This is of course good practice wherever you go, but there are particularly a lot of stories coming out of business travel to China where people suddenly find weird spyware on their devices etc.

Because in the USA cybersecurity is not a thing?
Surely anyone dealing with sensitive data should use the same precautions no matter where they are in the world, no?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by narvik
Because in the USA cybersecurity is not a thing?
Surely anyone dealing with sensitive data should use the same precautions no matter where they are in the world, no?
You would think. But in practice, many companies find remote desktop over VPN to be too slow and clunky for day-to-day use, so they let people keep files locally on their devices. This is especially true for smaller companies, but even large companies can have surprisingly unsophisticated IT departments.

China is a particularly risky location because it's one of the few countries that has the technical resources and know-how to perform state-sponsored industrial espionage -- and it does a pretty good job.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
It wasn't a coincidence that most health stuff in Shanghai went through Alipay and in Beijing through Wechat.
I look at which QR code is prominently displayed in the two cities.
I stand by my assertion. 😛
I always use WeChat at hospitals/clinics/dentists in Shanghai.
It doesn't matter if establishments feature one more prominently than the other if they accept both (which, is almost always the case).
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I always use WeChat at hospitals/clinics/dentists in Shanghai.
It doesn't matter if establishments feature one more prominently than the other if they accept both (which, is almost always the case).
I think he may be talking about the famous “health codes” of glory days gone by.
uanj and narvik like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If I have a 10-year tourist visa in an expired U.S. passport, can I use that to enter China using my current passport as a tourist? Hoping to go to Guilin this fall.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:41 pm

Yes..
SkyTeam777 and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The strange part is that one of the numbers appears to have slightly rubbed off the paper sticker, and each time I enter China, it causes a flurry of concern among the agents. It's ridiculous...you'd think they can scan it and see the validity another way using my passport number and other info on the visa label.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The strange part is that one of the numbers appears to have slightly rubbed off the paper sticker, and each time I enter China, it causes a flurry of concern among the agents. It's ridiculous...you'd think they can scan it and see the validity another way using my passport number and other info on the visa label.
That's always tough.
(My current passport is just about falling apart. I'm desperately trying to keep it going until it expires in 4 years, but I doubt it will make it that long.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.