Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Thanks for the reply! Such a nightmare and she refuses to get US passport. Would be so much easier since the rest of us have it.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
Thanks for the reply! Such a nightmare and she refuses to get US passport. Would be so much easier since the rest of us have it.
lol I understand the pain

if one already has a green card the jump to citizenship is not that big (eg you are already taxed on global income with green card).

but if you have family matters to take care of in China, it’s a lot easier to have Chinese passport and shenfenzheng
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by YariGuy
It's China imposing the effective ban. For PRC citizens to fly TO Taiwan, the PRC government needs to issue a permit (the 大通证 you mention above). Right now they're not issuing them for tourism purposes.
It's still 大通証 that's the problem, as recently as 7 Jan, XHS users in Guangdong cannot even get the pass, let alone an endorsement.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
It's still 大通証 that's the problem, as recently as 7 Jan, XHS users in Guangdong cannot even get the pass, let alone an endorsement.
What is XHS? Maybe it's different by region, but in Shanghai, as soon as they see you have the 1-pager entry permit issued by Taiwan, the PSB issues the 大通証 with no issues. This is based on what I experienced recently with my wife.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:20 am

What is XHS? Maybe it's different by region,
http://xhslink.com/UlB0zA

Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:57 am

Ah of course, xiaohongshu. I find that it's becoming a better and better source of information. I personally don't have the app, but for certain kinds of information (such as this) it's better than google in my opinion.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
True. Last time we stopped in TPE from LAX and it was crazy they were refusing to let her board to continue onto China. Luckily my uncle was retired from the government and after a little back and forth they let her on. I was getting ready to book TPE-LAX-PVG. Crazy stuff.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
True. Last time we stopped in TPE from LAX and it was crazy they were refusing to let her board to continue onto China. Luckily my uncle was retired from the government and after a little back and forth they let her on. I was getting ready to book TPE-LAX-PVG. Crazy stuff.
If people ever find themselves in that situation, the backup plan should be TPE-HKG, HKG-Mainland China.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by boat stuck
If people ever find themselves in that situation, the backup plan should be TPE-HKG, HKG-Mainland China.
Will either TPE check in or HK Immigration Dept care the Mainland resident is not using a 通行證 for TPE-HKG?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:35 am

True. Last time we stopped in TPE from LAX and it was crazy they were refusing to let her board to continue onto China.
Weird, I would think that ground staff in Taiwan would wouldn't care. After all, China immigration can't really refuse their own citizen entry (again, just a lecture). Based on Xiaohongshu you can't board a flight to Nanjing with just a Chinese passport, but that's bizarre. Some airline must have been burned, but again, my belief was that China can't refuse entry.

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Will either TPE check in or HK Immigration Dept care the Mainland resident is not using a 通行證 for TPE-HKG?
PRC passport holders coming from overseas can stay in HK up to 7 days for transit with just a passport, I believe.
gudugan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 3:17 am

PRC passport holders coming from overseas can stay in HK up to 7 days for transit with just a passport, I believe.
Oh right. HK Immigration Dept is supposed ot have no idea where the Mainland resident has landed from.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 7:56 pm

Weird, I would think that ground staff in Taiwan would wouldn't care. After all, China immigration can't really refuse their own citizen entry (again, just a lecture). Based on Xiaohongshu you can't board a flight to Nanjing with just a Chinese passport, but that's bizarre. Some airline must have been burned, but again, my belief was that China can't refuse entry.
My understanding is that this only ever happens with Chinese airlines such as China Eastern. In fact, I've only ever heard of it happening for flights into NKG. If this actually happened with a PVG flight that would be news to me.

The workaround in the past has been changing the flight to PVG instead of NKG, or choosing a Taiwanese airline instead.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
My understanding is that this only ever happens with Chinese airlines such as China Eastern. In fact, I've only ever heard of it happening for flights into NKG. If this actually happened with a PVG flight that would be news to me.

The workaround in the past has been changing the flight to PVG instead of NKG, or choosing a Taiwanese airline instead.
That's what I figured, that it's a rogue airline thing. It goes against TIMATIC so the directive must come from up high.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 3:15 am

That's what I figured, that it's a rogue airline thing. It goes against TIMATIC so the directive must come from up high.
Age old question on whether airlines are supposed to enforce exit regulations Does CX record passenger's dissatisfaction or misbehavior on their system?

I guess in this case though, this is an exit regulation that exit immigration cannot directly enforce Does CX record passenger's dissatisfaction or misbehavior on their system?, so not surprised it's imposed on the airline.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm guessing Nanjing might have something to do with this. As I've mentioned to you offline, the entry/exit division of the Ministry of Public Security that covers Nanjing and the surrounding area is quite special. In fact, my WeChat contact who works there tells me that she doesn't know of anywhere else in China that has policies with the same level of intensity as hers (I'm sure there must be other examples, though; China is a big place, she's presumably not omniscient, and maybe there's a "proudly the most draconian" factor at play as well).
uanj, tauphi and percysmith like this.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 2, 2024 at 8:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.