Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by italdesign
boat stuck or anyone else: we're planning to do the above. Re: #3, HK Immigration says "Holders of People’s Republic of China (PRC) passports who are in transit through Hong Kong to and from another country or territory may be granted a stay of seven days on each landing". I assume entering HK by land from Shenzhen is a qualified "landing" for this (transit) purpose; is there any official source that puts it in writing?
You'll be fine coming in via a land border. If you need additional reassurance, the Chinese equivalent of the same page says "each entry"

過境
經香港過境往來另一國家或地區的中國護照持有人,可於每次入境時獲准在港逗留七天而無須事先取得進入許可,但他們必須符合一般的入境規定,包括持有前往目的地的有效入境 證件及經確認事先已預訂前往海外的續程車/船/機票。
italdesign likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Going directly from China, tourism is not allowed by either side, group or otherwise. Besides business, I believe visiting relatives might be allowed.
What if you are
  • PRC Citizen
  • Living in USA
  • Applied for Taiwan Entry Permit (入台證) at TECO Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in USA as a tourist
You should be able to fly USA -> Taiwan and enter. But can you fly China -> Taiwan?
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by gudugan
. But can you fly China -> Taiwan?
Hard no. Mainland exit immigration will not let you depart.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:59 pm

I don’t get it. Isn’t the whole point of the Taiwan Entry Permit to enter Taiwan?

Don’t businessmen in Mainland China also get Taiwan Entry Permits and then fly to Taiwan? Is there a separate Taiwan Entry Permit for business and leisure?
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
What if you are
  • PRC Citizen
  • Living in USA
  • Applied for Taiwan Entry Permit (入台證) at TECO Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in USA as a tourist
You should be able to fly USA -> Taiwan and enter.
Yes this is fine -- this became allowed again starting on September 1. "Living in USA" means you need a green card or a student visa (so just can't be visiting).

But can you fly China -> Taiwan?
No. Again, this is because the China side does not allow it. The government needs to issue a permit for its citizens to travel to Taiwan (colloquially called “大通证") but they're not issuing it for tourism purposes.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:41 pm

I don’t get it. Isn’t the whole point of the Taiwan Entry Permit to enter Taiwan?

Don’t businessmen in Mainland China also get Taiwan Entry Permits and then fly to Taiwan? Is there a separate Taiwan Entry Permit for business and leisure?
To go from China to Taiwan as a Chinese national, you need two documents. You need the Travel Permit from China to allow you to exit from China to Taiwan. Then you need the Taiwan Entry Permit (issued by Taiwan) to allow you to actually enter Taiwan.
percysmith and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ChillDude
As far as I know, Chinese citizens can transit through Taiwan when returning to mainland China from overseas, but the reverse is not allowed.
So I would like to know. If I book HKG to DPS with china airlines. And then if I book DPS to TPE (CI), Then book a seperate ticket TPE-SZX-CKG on China Southern. Will the officals at Shenzhen airport (immigration) have any issues with my son having transitted through Taiwan on the way into Mainland China? I do not want to fly into Hong Kong and then book a seperate SZX to CGK ticket which is very expensive due to it being just before chinese new year.

From the comments it seems going out of PRC is the only issue.

Of course we will use his PRC passport to get visa arrival in DPS to show we only transitted through TPE.

Any advice would be great. We plan to fly back on the 8th or 9th of February.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:21 am

Assuming you mean CKG (Chongqing) not CGK (Jakarta)

You can transit through Taiwan into China, no problem, you need to have the right document though (Taiwan Entry Permit) if you want to leave the airport. Separate tickets don't make a difference here.

If you wanted to fly CKG-SZX-TPE, for example, that would not be allowed without the two documents in #36. You could fly CKG-SZX-NRT and then a separate ticket NRT-TPE. Then could enter TPE if you have the Taiwan Entry Permit
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The CGK mention also confused me initially, but he/she says CKG later on, which makes a lot more sense (e.g. 26 daily flights v 1 daily flight).
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Assuming you mean CKG (Chongqing) not CGK (Jakarta)

You can transit through Taiwan into China, no problem, you need to have the right document though (Taiwan Entry Permit) if you want to leave the airport. Separate tickets don't make a difference here.

If you wanted to fly CKG-SZX-TPE, for example, that would not be allowed without the two documents in #36. You could fly CKG-SZX-NRT and then a separate ticket NRT-TPE. Then could enter TPE if you have the Taiwan Entry Permit
Thanks for the correction, you are right the airport codes are very similar.

When you mean the Taiwan permit I presume you mean the Taiwan side issuance. If so this is not an issue we do not need that as we have a way around that. My concern is just if the chinese immigration would have an issue for my son flying from Taiwan as far as they know just transiting.

My wife also said if we got him the hong kong permit then this may be an issue for him if he arrived back in say SZX. I can't see the issue personally if he takes the permit and his passport with us for the trip. She said they would expect him to only use the permit to re enter the mainland.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
Thanks for the correction, you are right the airport codes are very similar.
My concern is just if the chinese immigration would have an issue for my son flying from Taiwan as far as they know just transiting.
There shouldn't be a problem. Chinese immigration doesn't care that he arrived from, or transited in Taiwan.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
There shouldn't be a problem. Chinese immigration doesn't care that he arrived from, or transited in Taiwan.
Chinese immigration has recently started blocking people holding Chinese passports flying direct from Taiwan into China, without the requisite China-issued permit. This has been enforced by Chinese-owned airlines such as China Southern and China Eastern, where they will refuse to give you a boarding pass without the right documentation. It's apparently not an issue if you fly with a Taiwanese airline.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
Chinese immigration has recently started blocking people holding Chinese passports flying direct from Taiwan into China, without the requisite China-issued permit. This has been enforced by Chinese-owned airlines such as China Southern and China Eastern, where they will refuse to give you a boarding pass without the right documentation. It's apparently not an issue if you fly with a Taiwanese airline.
This is bizarre since the China-issued permit is just for traveling TO Taiwan, DIRECTLY from China.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
Do you have a source on this, planning a trip like this soon. Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:11 pm

Do you have a source on this, planning a trip like this soon. Thanks
This is through the grape vine but I have heard of at least two unconnected cases who were both denied boarding by China Eastern flying to NKG. Both ended up flying to PVG instead.

So this issue could also be specific to NKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.