Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan transit ban on PRC citizens (ex-China)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ChillDude
As far as I know, Chinese citizens can transit through Taiwan when returning to mainland China from overseas, but the reverse is not allowed.
At the risk of beating a dead horse, refer to post #3
YariGuy explained things quite clearly.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
If you are transiting through TPE, you are OK. I have multiple coworkers doing this because lack of direct flights to/from China. I don't think Taiwan is restricting - EVA and China flights are booming to/from China as they are now the preferred transit location. I just came back from 2 months of non-stop flying and I've seen more foreigners transiting in TPE/TSA to/from China than I could ever recall.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wlau
If you are transiting through TPE, you are OK. I have multiple coworkers doing this because lack of direct flights to/from China. I don't think Taiwan is restricting - EVA and China flights are booming to/from China as they are now the preferred transit location. I just came back from 2 months of non-stop flying and I've seen more foreigners transiting in TPE/TSA to/from China than I could ever recall.
Since most of us in this forum aren't limited to PRC IDs/passports, of course we are okay. However, PRC nationals are the focus of this thread, CKG is the only viable outbound option for them at present (in the absence of a TTP).
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I saw three PRC citizens flying TPE-SFO with their passports and the appropriate paperwork. They looked like business travelers so this is possible, albeit difficult.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by gudugan
I saw three PRC citizens flying TPE-SFO with their passports and the appropriate paperwork. They looked like business travelers so this is possible, albeit difficult.
My guess would be that they might be getting a Taiwan travel permit for business purposes, since the PRC-side block is currently on issuing them to tourists.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:38 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
My guess is they flew in from HKG.
moondog, uanj and tauphi like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:34 pm

Are separate tickets allowed?

e.g. for PRC citizen living in USA
SFO-TPE (Eva), TPE-PVG (China Airlines)
Assuming staying airside the whole time
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:23 pm

I'm pretty sure this is allowed. I'm even more sure if traveler has a US green card.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:15 pm

There are basically no restrictions going from Taiwan to China. It's only going from China to Taiwan that is hard to do for Chinese passport holders.
gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Saw this in another thread: https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...in-2023-08-24/

So Taiwan is starting to allow Chinese tourists. This alone doesn't change the current ban on Chinese citizens transiting in Taiwan, right? Because the ban is from China's side and they haven't changed.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:58 pm

Taiwan is now accepting tourism visas from overseas Chinese citizens who have either PR or a long term work / student visa starting from Sept 1, 2023.

The transit ban for PRC passport holders is from the Chinese side. The rational is, China has sovereignty over Taiwan and its citizen should not use a passport to visit there, even though Taiwan does not recognize Chinese passport. That’s why both sides issue special permits for its citizens to visit the other side as it’s still legally not considered visiting a foreign country (no stamping on the other side’s passports). However, Taiwan does not have an issue with travelers leaving its border for China using a passport for departure, but China forbids that. That’s why PRC passport holders need a “border crossing” passport for leaving China’s “BORDER” for Taiwan. It’s issued for border crossing only, not for international travel, just like the ones issued to go to Hong Kong. That’s the difference in China’s eyes. The Chinese agency in charge of international arrival and departure is called The (Border) Exit-Entry Administration of the People's Republic of China. Border is the word used in its official Chinese name. For those who are confused by why there can be a border within a country, remember that there’s a border between the mainland and Hong Kong. China sees the same thing with Taiwan.

Technically it’s also forbidden for Chinese passport holders to transit through Taiwan arriving in China, but China customs cannot enforce that as those travelers have already arrived.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by cinamann; Aug 30, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Old Aug 31, 2023, 11:38 am

My guess

Rest of world -> Taiwan (transit) -> China: Already allowed
Rest of world -> Taiwan (enter): Need to apply for visa, which is easier if you live outside of China
Taiwan (after entering) -> China: Already allowed
China -> Taiwan (transit) -> Rest of world: Need to apply for visa
China -> Taiwan (enter): Need to apply for visa. Allowed if you are a business person. If you are not, you have to do a group tour?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by boat stuck
There is no way that the Mainland-Taiwan relationship will get better any time soon. It's only going to get worse. I would not count on CKG working.

Here's what you should do to minimize your losses:

1. Call Eva and see if you can change the flight to HKG-TPE-USA (and I'd guess there's a small but non-zero chance they will waive the fee if you explain the immigration issues)
2. Book a separate, fully refundable direct HKG-USA flight
3. Have the PRC citizen fly to SZX, and then take the land border into HK. Mainland passport holders can transit in HKG for 7 days when leaving the country, and exiting the mainland at the Hong Kong land border tends to have the fewest issues due to the higher volume and familiarity with Hong Kong transit rules. However, when exiting the mainland, show mainland departure immigration the direct HKG-USA flight. Departure immigration may not allow a HKG-TPE-USA routing.
4. Once in Hong Kong, cancel the refundable HKG-USA direct flight. Check in for HKG-TPE-USA at Hong Kong airport normally. Hong Kong immigration will not care about taking the HKG-TPE-USA flight.
boat stuck or anyone else: we're planning to do the above. Re: #3, HK Immigration says "Holders of People’s Republic of China (PRC) passports who are in transit through Hong Kong to and from another country or territory may be granted a stay of seven days on each landing". I assume entering HK by land from Shenzhen is a qualified "landing" for this (transit) purpose; is there any official source that puts it in writing?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:28 pm

No problem via any entry point. Done it via Lo Wu, Shenzhen Bay, ferry, high-speed rail - all smoothly.
italdesign likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:59 pm

My guess

Rest of world -> Taiwan (transit) -> China: Already allowed
Rest of world -> Taiwan (enter): Need to apply for visa, which is easier if you live outside of China
Taiwan (after entering) -> China: Already allowed
China -> Taiwan (transit) -> Rest of world: Need to apply for visa
China -> Taiwan (enter): Need to apply for visa. Allowed if you are a business person. If you are not, you have to do a group tour?
Going directly from China, tourism is not allowed by either side, group or otherwise. Besides business, I believe visiting relatives might be allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.