Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic airfare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold
Reviving this thread for another question : how about cross-straight flights from mainland to Taiwan ? Specifically looking from PEK - TPE non-stop (no service to Taiwan region from PKX). Also wait until closer in ? Because this politically sensitive route is pricing around 3400 CNY for the 3 carriers that serve it, which is on the high side given the duration of flight.
gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by mlin32
Reviving this thread for another question : how about cross-straight flights from mainland to Taiwan ? Specifically looking from PEK - TPE non-stop (no service to Taiwan region from PKX). Also wait until closer in ? Because this politically sensitive route is pricing around 3400 CNY for the 3 carriers that serve it, which is on the high side given the duration of flight.
A direct PEK-TPE flight on EVA is bookable via UA for 18k miles (or via any other Star Alliance carrier of your choice) pretty much every day except major holidays. Same for the CI direct flight using DL miles (17.5k). A relatively good use of miles in my opinion.
gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
If you have UA miles PVG-TPE and SHA-TSA are both 7-8k miles one way. You have to get to Shanghai but it may be a cheaper option. Domestic-international transfer at PVG is relatively easy (nothing like the nightmare that domestic-international is at PEK). For SHA whether you have a domestic flight or take the train you will have to take the subway one stop to SHA's international terminal, it is not connected to the domestic terminal. Easy but you need to plan enough time for it.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uanj
If you have UA miles PVG-TPE and SHA-TSA are both 7-8k miles one way. You have to get to Shanghai but it may be a cheaper option. Domestic-international transfer at PVG is relatively easy (nothing like the nightmare that domestic-international is at PEK). For SHA whether you have a domestic flight or take the train you will have to take the subway one stop to SHA's international terminal, it is not connected to the domestic terminal. Easy but you need to plan enough time for it.
UA's award prices remain a mystery to me, but PEK-TPE appears to be 16.5k in one direction, and only about 2k more if you add another segment (i.e. return to PEK or somewhere else).

This pricing seems to be based on distance, at least in part, and PEK-SHA was only 7.5k miles the last time I checked.

Delta charges 17.5K miles for all one way flights within Asia (I didn't check India, but I did check SE Asia). Connections don't factor into this price structure. As such, PEK-CGK is a decent redemption (you will be connecting in Korea, Taiwan, or Vietnam).

BA charges 10K-12K per segment. This means that PEK-HKG costs half as much as PEK-HKG-SGN.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex points, Hilton Honors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Deltus
Yep, China domestic is different from the rest of the world for flight pricing - I'd say never book more than 2 weeks in advance, I'd usually book about 7-5 days out. I once booked 10 days out but the price dropped so much that it was worth paying the cancellation fee and rebooking at the lower fare.

Also, book through Trip.com. A lot of the other western search engines never find the cheapest fares, even the international versions of the airlines' own websites. Trip.com service is generally very good.
YES, booking through trip.com and the last few days before flying is the preferred pricing.
Seat selection is also pretty good.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

I guess based on the feedback, I'll wait it out until perhaps november timeframe. I'm not based in the US and thus would only have Flying Blue miles for a prime ticket on CI, which is dynamic pricing and currently at 15k each way + taxes. So using my miles could be a last resort, though IMO, not a great value at 30k for a domestic flight that's only 3h in duration.

As it would be a quick 3 day visit, I don't want to re-position to Shanghai (half the price) or take a flight with correspondances.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Putting this query in the Domestic Airfare thread is quite the political statement 😄.

Anyhow don’t pay any attention to the fares until a week before your flight. As an example, tickets for tomorrow PEK-TPE are selling for $286 and $299 on CI and BR respectively. Certainly don’t spend miles on those tickets if they are at these prices.
mlin32, plunet and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
How about flights to HKG? SE Asia?
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex points, Hilton Honors, Avis,
Originally Posted by italdesign
I would say the same, keep checking on the prices a few days from now (just to compare), then check a few weeks out and see if the prices are pretty much the same.

We have found booking last minute saves a bit and have never had issues with no room, or sold out flights.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 5:33 am

HK, BKK, KUL, SIN, even USM (a premium airport) have all been crazy cheap recently, and there is tons of capacity, I used to use miles for my SE Asia vacations because it was a pretty good value and I don't hoard miles for aspirational trips much anymore, but when PVG-BKK is only $150, I can't justify even burning DL miles (my least favorite currency). Another issue is that DL has absolutely no award inventory on MU, so I'd be flying through ICN,, TPE, ,SGN, etc.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I need TFU to KUL and SIN next year. Current prices for next yr are not low, and award tickets are scarce. Will wait till close-in based on the info here. Wonder if non-Mainland airlines like SQ and CX price this way too.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:06 am

I need TFU to KUL and SIN next year. Current prices for next yr are not low, and award tickets are scarce. Will wait till close-in based on the info here. Wonder if non-Mainland airlines like SQ and CX price this way too.
Again, you should you close in prices to get a feel for what to expect when you're ready to book. Chengdu to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur definitely falls into the "cheap" category.

Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Just a couple thoughts : I've been playing around with Trip.com, doing dummy searches within a week's timeframe to/from Taiwan and Mainland. I'm unfortunately not seeing any decrease in prices for these "close-in" flights between the Mainland and Taiwan, except for those that involve very long/unnecessary correspondances. I'm not going to lose a day of my vacations, sitting with a 6h transfer time, triple my total travel time just to save 100 EUR.

Example of a dummy search for 01 Nov.

I ended up using my Flying Blue miles to reserve the outbound PEK -> TPE on CI at the end of December.

Will probably also soon reserve the return from Taiwan to Mainland (up to HRB) paying cash.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:15 pm

I would also burn miles instead of paying $300 for PEK-TPE, but we're talking about a flight that used to cost $800+, so let's keep things in perspective.

TPE-HRB seems to entail a connection somewhere (.e.g. CAN, XMN, SZX, PVG; pick your poison), but $142 for a 1500 mile international flight seems like a good deal to me.
mlin32 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I would also burn miles instead of paying $300 for PEK-TPE, but we're talking about a flight that used to cost $800+, so let's keep things in perspective.

TPE-HRB seems to entail a connection somewhere (.e.g. CAN, XMN, SZX, PVG; pick your poison), but $142 for a 1500 mile international flight seems like a good deal to me.
Yes, the flight to HRB I have the choice of a correspondance at PVG with FM/MU (1h30) or HGH (2h30) with MF, both around 240-260 EUR. I'm inclined towards the latter because I hear from my chinese friend here that PVG tends to be a bit more time-consuming....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.