Wiki Posts
Search

More flights [ex-China to N America and Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:12 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
China Eastern has submitted their application

2 new PVG-LAX, the first route with daily service among Chinese airlines.
1 new PVG-SFO, 3x per week.
moondog likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m.y
China Eastern has submitted their application

2 new PVG-LAX, the first route with daily service among Chinese airlines.
1 new PVG-SFO, 3x per week.
This is a nice chess move against both Delta and United.

PEK-SEA is also kind of cool.

I find most of those other LAX and JFK additions underwhelming. If just one of them was daily, I'd be singing a different tune, but I doubt the gentle shot gun spray approach will have much impact.

Still, it's nice that the Chinese are planning on using all of their slots. Hopefully, there's a provision in the latest agreement that permits them to add more if the US carriers can't be bothered to sieze the opportunity. Unfavorable economics? Fine, then there shouldn't be any objections to letting Chinese airlines have at it and burn money.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:51 pm
m.y

I see on Google Flights DL will be offering daily service between DTW-PVG starting May 22.

I saw a Tweet mentioning DL blocks 27 seats on their DTW-PVG flight.

Edit: Confirmed on aeroroutes https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240318-dlns24pvg

Last edited by m.y; Mar 19, 2024 at 8:38 am
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by m.y
Looks like Air China, China Southern, Xiamen, Hainan and Sichuan all have submitted application to DOT for new flights.

New flights:
CA: 2 PEK-JFK, 1 PEK-LAX
CZ: 1 CAN-LAX, 2 CAN-SFO
HU: 2 PEK-SEA, 1 CKG-SEA (subsidies is back!)
MF: 2 XMN-LAX until May 5, afterwards the 2 lots will be used for FOC-JFK, a technical stop in URC on the way back.
3U: 1 TFU-LAX
Do you happen to know whether FOC-JFK has been scratched (maybe replaced with something else)? I tried to look into it last week (was curious about how "technical" the URC stop was because I wouldn't mind jumping off there, if possible), but I was unable to find the flight on any of the usual suspect booking channels, including the airline's own website.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:10 am
m.y

Originally Posted by moondog
Do you happen to know whether FOC-JFK has been scratched (maybe replaced with something else)? I tried to look into it last week (was curious about how "technical" the URC stop was because I wouldn't mind jumping off there, if possible), but I was unable to find the flight on any of the usual suspect booking channels, including the airline's own website.
I don't think any of these new flights are on sale yet. The flight only spends an hour in URC, so no time for passengers to be processed.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 7:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Looks like CZ quietly slotted in an extra flight per week between CAN - CDG (CZ347) so now it is 5x/week . Also seem to have added an extra flight PKX - AMS so it's now 4x/week.

The JV between AF and MU seems to have fully resumed, with 3x/daily (7j/7) now between CDG and PVG.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 7:45 am

As we've discussed previously, many countries in Europe have effectively given Chinese airlines the ability to try whatever routes they fancy without much expectation of reciprocity. This isn't the case for the US or Canada.
uanj and Jiatong like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Oh I know, but just wanted to add some data points, since the thread title also mentions Europe, and I'm sure there are other people based in Europe who read/follow. Or perhaps we could just rename the thread.

The world doesn't revolve around the US.......
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
Oh I know, but just wanted to add some data points, since the thread title also mentions Europe, and I'm sure there are other people based in Europe who read/follow. Or perhaps we could just rename the thread.

The world doesn't revolve around the US.......
In fact it does , but Europe is still a nice place to visit so I'm happy to see all these new flights. I'm looking at a trip Shanghai to Europe in the late summer and seeing great prices on LH in business class ($3K RT). I'm holding off until MU or other Skyteam airlines match the prices, which I'm sure at some point they will. Oh how I wish the US/Canada routes would get back to this pricing!
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:46 am

I guess MU/FM has a shortage of available B787/A350, because otherwise it is hard to explain why they send the A330 on the new Vienna rotation.

​​​​​​Air China is using the A350, China Airlines to TPE the A350, BR the Dreamliner etc.

They are shooting themselves in the foot with the old product.

Rumour in the Austrian Aviation forum has it, that Hainan Airlines will also be back in Vienna in two months time.

Regarding Biz class to Europe: Budapest might save you a lot of money.

Last edited by wwtknoyb; Mar 20, 2024 at 4:53 am
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by wwtknoyb

Rumour in the Austrian Aviation forum has it, that Hainan Airlines will also be back in Vienna in two months time.
Yeah. Go HU!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:23 am

What happened to China Eastern prices?

I remember pre-pandemic MU was the cheapest way to cross the Pacific, with JFK-PVG roundrtips routinely available sub-$500 in Economy, and at $2k - $3k in Business.

Now their prices seem to have increased ~5x - I am seeing $2.5k - $3k Y fares for r/t, and going to almost $10k for J.

Has there been some marked improvement in their hard/soft product to match this price hike, or is it just a change in business model?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by levik
I remember pre-pandemic MU was the cheapest way to cross the Pacific, with JFK-PVG roundrtips routinely available sub-$500 in Economy, and at $2k - $3k in Business.

Now their prices seem to have increased ~5x - I am seeing $2.5k - $3k Y fares for r/t, and going to almost $10k for J.

Has there been some marked improvement in their hard/soft product to match this price hike, or is it just a change in business model?
Hmmm. How many flights per week were there between NYC and Shanghai pre-pandemic? How many airlines?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by levik
Those days have long gone. The situation right now is the complete opposite. Demand far exceeds supply at the moment. The MU JFK-PVG flight is the only nonstop flight on that route. And as a matter of fact, it's the only nonstop flight between PVG and the entire US east of DFW.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
Those days have long gone. The situation right now is the complete opposite. Demand far exceeds supply at the moment. The MU JFK-PVG flight is the only nonstop flight on that route. And as a matter of fact, it's the only nonstop flight between PVG and the entire US east of DFW.
Wasn't that also the case pre-pandemic? I don't recall if there were any competitors to MU on the JFK-PVG route.

Truth be told, I am not sure what market conditions caused those tickets to be so much cheaper than alternatives back then. Thought maybe someone here would know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.