Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shared bikes in China

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In this post, I want to focus on sensible (I hesitate to use the term "defensive", but that is the gist of it) biking strategy.

As a backdrop, in 1995, I bought a "Shanghai Forever" bike in Beijing and used it for 6 months in Beijing and Nanjing. During that era, bikes were still the primary means of transportation for 90%+ of the population (i.e. personal car ownership was rare). As such, biking in Beijing wasn't all that different from driving on SoCal freeways. That said, I felt that the situation was quite civilized (e.g. think of a slow-moving mass comprised of semi-independent organisms).

Fast forward 28 years
-I'm guessing the total number of personal bikes, as a percentage of vehicles, has plummetted, especially in tier 1 cities
-But, in addition to shared bikes, there has been an explosion in (silent but deadly) e-bikes (think scooters, as opposed to those modified Specialized products that are common in the US and Europe)
-TMK, no sort of license is required in order to operate a bike, ebike, or escooter; while I oppose excessive regulation, this means that many of your fellow riders are grossly undereducated with respect to the most basic principles
-The delivery guys are the most dangerous group because, in addition to not understanding the basic principles, these guys have a financial incentive to pretend that others don't exist
-The second most dangerous segment is people who think it's cool to talk on their phones while biking (even hands free distracts them from the immediate surroundings that they should be paying attention to)
-The third most dangerous are small children who may or may not be tethered to mom

Strategy
-If you plan on biking between 6p and 8p, mentally prepare yourself (all will be good as long as you are chill, and know what to expect)
-Use Baidu to suggest a route for you
*These tend to be somewhat conservative, and Baidu doesn't completely understand "bike friendly", but it's a good starting point
*Baidu will never suggest illegal options
-I ride in the middle of the path/lane in order to prevent the bikes behind me from trying to attempt dangerous passes (inside or outside); the Ele.me guys still pass me but in a somewhat measured manner
-Hone in on bike-friendly roads
*Baidu won't tell you that Yongja is more pleasant than Jianguo, but if you do your own A/B test, you will know
-Be willing to take a longer/slower route if you think it will make you feel safer
*In one of these threads, a poster said that he can beat Baidu's estimates
*While it's true that we can do this, pretty every time, especially if we loosely interpret red lights, my survivalist instinct has implored me to peace out
gudugan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:53 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by moondog
No. The green bikes here in Shanghai are more of a mint color. They're honestly a very distant third in terms of market share, and I wouldn't be surprised if they disappear.
In Guangzhou, especially in the suburbs, like the Changzhou island and Panyu, Green are much more common than Yellow, while blue being the third(They give free 3 day pass for anyone downloading their app though)
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:26 am
Original Poster

For those of you who are curious, I spotted this small Hello Bike relocation truck in Jing'an today (bigger trucks in the middle of the night are more common).

And, it appears that the same crew might have also neatly organized bikes on the sidewalk.

As you can see, the green (or teal, I guess) bikes aren't nearly as common as blue or yellow bikes here.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:38 am
Original Poster

I got my Hello Bike 1000 km badge today

gudugan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Congrats! I'm close to getting 200km away from my 2000 km badge. Hope to get it before my 2-year anniversary in China
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:09 am
Original Poster

This post is primarily intended for Palal since we talked about bikes, in particular the latest generation Hello bikes, during his recent SH visit.

While some other cities (e.g. Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen) have had these beauties for quite a while, they first started appearing in Shanghai in early October. In addition to remaining in short supply, people tend to hide them in their compounds (which is not allowed, in case you're curious), and now I understand why. I lucked out and scored one this evening, and it was a dream to ride. Part of this was presumably due to the fact that it was new, but it simply felt far smoother and faster than the next most recent series. I want to point out that I'm normally not extremely selective; as long as the seat post clamp and bell are in working order, I'm happy.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 26, 2023 at 7:32 pm
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I agree - the new ones are great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.