Wiki Posts
Search

How to leave China (as of Nov 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
ah I thought they only transited xmn / tpe and were ending up in Europe. I was trying to imagine a next day fare that’s tpac or maybe tpac / tatl (??)
-There are lots of flights between XMN and TPE
-There are lots of flights between TPE and America/Australia/Europe
-The only longhaul flight I know of ex-XMN is LAX twice per week

Regardless, finding flights out of China isn't especially difficult. The schedules might be vastly reduced, but so is demand (as defined by the desire and ability to leave).
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Current situation for leaving

Leaving today.
No one checks any health codes.
Took HSR Beijing-Hongqiao and Taxi to PVG.
No checks for health code anywhere.
A small "health declaration" is still required before going through customs, although no idea why.

All the questions would have to be answered with YES nowadays:
"Have you been in close contact with a Covid positive person?"
Do 13 million fellow Beijingers count??? 😎

As a bonus, got upgraded. UA858 still stops in ICN, but that surely is about to stop also very soon.
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:17 am
Original Poster

-the customs declaration has always been required on departure based on my memory, and has included Covid questions since Covid become a thing-I wouldn't bet on any of the airlines that stop in ICN changing that anytime soon because there are lots of moving parts
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
-the customs declaration has always been required on departure based on my memory, and has included Covid questions since Covid become a thing-I wouldn't bet on any of the airlines that stop in ICN changing that anytime soon because there are lots of moving parts
The health declaration is a Chinese thing and nothing to do specifically with landing in ICN, nor tied to any airline.
Reading the questions it seemed to have been setup primarily for contact tracing. The same declaration is used for entry and exit.
The questions are superfluous now, and I do suspect they will stop that very soon.
There's barely anyone in China that could truthfully answer NO to all the questions now.

Added; here's (part of) the text of the health declaration. Implemented Jan 24, 2020. My guess is, it won't see its 3rd birthday.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 17, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
The health declaration is a Chinese thing and nothing to do specifically with landing in ICN, nor tied to any airline.
Reading the questions it seemed to have been setup primarily for contact tracing.
The part of my post that you quoted was in relation to when the 5(?) airlines that have been doing the ICN drill will stop. Basically, it was their unions that demanded this accommodation, so unravelling it will require their approval, and I doubt they'll go for any semblance of a "closed-loop" scenario in Shanghai. With the possible exception of chopping slot modifications, the Chinese authorities are not relevant.

I've managed to almost completely sleep through 5 of my 6 ICN stops, this last one on AC being the exception (some of my fellow passengers thought it was a good opportunity to socialize).

Last edited by moondog; Dec 18, 2022 at 7:59 am
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:49 pm

Why did no one mention leaving via HKG in this thread? Fly to Shenzhen, and take the ferry to HKG, which checks-in your luggage for you all the way to your final destination.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 0xeb
Why did no one mention leaving via HKG in this thread? Fly to Shenzhen, and take the ferry to HKG, which checks-in your luggage for you all the way to your final destination.
1. SZX is not close to Shekou; if any of us lived in Shekou, of course, we would consider the ferries, assuming they were operating
2. There are flights from many mainland cities to HKG
3. IMO leaving via HKG isn't any more notable than leaving via ICN, TYO, BKK, TPE, etc. or grabbing a long-haul flight
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:22 am

The part of my post that you quoted was in relation to when the 4(?) airlines that have been doing the ICN drill will stop. Basically, it was their unions that demanded this accommodation, so unravelling it will require their approval, and I doubt they'll go for any semblance of a "closed-loop" scenario in Shanghai. With the possible exception of chopping slot modifications, the Chinese authorities are not relevant.

I've managed to almost completely sleep through 5 of my 6 ICN stops, this last one on AC being the exception (some of my fellow passengers thought it was a good opportunity to socialize).
I quoted your whole post, not just part of it.
The ICN thing will cease soon after there's no entry quarantine. I suspect that's going to happen very soon.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 18, 2022 at 1:45 am
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:05 am
Original Poster

I quoted your whole post, not just part of it.
The ICN thing will cease soon after there's no entry quarantine. I suspect that's going to happen very soon.
If by "soon after", you mean 6 months, I tacitly endorse your prediction, but I don't think we'll see a shorter timeline.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:45 pm

If by "soon after", you mean 6 months, I tacitly endorse your prediction, but I don't think we'll see a shorter timeline.
You say 6, I say 1, so maybe 3?
uanj and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You say 6, I say 1, so maybe 3?
If we go by Hong Kong it will be a few months. I think they'll want to let it burn through before opening up to foreigners. 3 months seems about right but who knows anymore with the slapdash decision making style currently coming from behind the gates of zhongnanhai. I wouldn't be surprised if it was next week or one year from now.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If we go by Hong Kong it will be a few months. I think they'll want to let it burn through before opening up to foreigners. 3 months seems about right but who knows anymore with the slapdash decision making style currently coming from behind the gates of zhongnanhai. I wouldn't be surprised if it was next week or one year from now.
AA, AC, AF, DL, and UA could fly nonstop now if they double crewed or did closed loop during their visits to China. My hypothesis is that even after the loop partially or fully opens, the unions will hold the upper hand.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 5:38 pm

AA, AC, AF, DL, and UA could fly nonstop now if they double crewed or did closed loop during their visits to China. My hypothesis is that even after the loop partially or fully opens, the unions will hold the upper hand.

I don't get your logic. At all.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I don't get your logic. At all.
I haven't read any of the relevant union-airline agreements (they might not be in the public domain for all I know) and they are presumably different from each other, but I'm guessing that China service is now contingent upon the ICN stop. If so, lifting the stop might entail protracted negotiations. In any event, I'm cool with your new 3-month (after arrival quarantine is no longer required) prediction...for the first shoe (i.e. one airline) dropping.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
How is infection rate/situation since lifting the restriction? Almost half of my office back in Beijing have tested positive (and most of their families) in the past week.

I anticipate the infection rate may impact airlines resume services to China. For examples, airlines unions may raise health cockers for their members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.