Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from Los Angeles to Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angetenar
It depends on how long the layover is. If it is under 12 hours, then it should be checked through. If over, UA policy is to short check it and you'll need to retrieve it, see Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Thanks. That certainly answers his question. What's more, even if they take the last flight of the day (so sub 12 hour layover), they'd trigger the overnight rule. I suppose they could avoid rechecking by taking a 6a flight, but 857 is one flight I wouldn't want to chance missing (only 4x per week and it sells out frequently).

ETA: I just remembered that I had an overnight layover in DFW last year, and through checking was not an option (I was coming FROM China though, so I had to claim my bag; the bag drop was closed for the night).
YariGuy likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Oct 16, 2022 at 8:02 am
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Alas I erred big time. The Sfo hyatt is next to the International terminal. It’s not in domestic. I’m very sorry. I was at Sfo on Saturday to fetch my spouse and noticed my huge error.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gaobest
Alas I erred big time. The Sfo hyatt is next to the International terminal. It’s not in domestic. I’m very sorry. I was at Sfo on Saturday to fetch my spouse and noticed my huge error.
No worries. It looks like I'm leaning towards LA to Japan first, then to Taiwan, then to Shanghai. Japan is just for fun. Taiwan is for fun, and it's easier getting tickets from Taiwan. I'll be spending a number of days in Japan and Taiwan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.