Laws about bikes/ebikes riding on sidewalks, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laws about bikes/ebikes riding on sidewalks, China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by moondog
...if it happens again, I will copy the PSB
Don't do that...you report to PSB, but end up with MPS...

I have learnt well about the Mainland - keep your mouth shut. In the Mainland, somehow doing the right thing does not mean you are correct.
889 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Following is my Shanghai living history:
-Lujiazui 2000-2002 (awesome apartment, but isolated from my friends)
-original Jing'an from 2003 t0 2013 (great for people in their 20s; poor subway access, though this is improving)
-XTD 2014-2016 (I liked it there, but moved out when the landlord doubled my rent; viable food options were also expensive)
-Hongqiao Lu 2017 (being on Line 10 was a plus for me, but crappy food)
-Shanghai Library 2018 (good area when we still had Hooter's, Shanghai Brewery, and Paulaner)
-Xujiahui 2019 to present; I initially didn't like it because it is so big, but now think it is better suited for older (I'm 45) expats. Furthermore, I have Lines 9, 10, 1, and 11
I thought you were in XTD while I was in XJU. I chose it primarily because my former employer used to put up our overseas colleagues at the Courtyard and the Managing Director lived in Oriental Manhattan. The office, at the time, was located on Tianlin Lu near Cangwu Lu. I could either take Line 9 or the bus. Wound up taking the bus once I figured it out. Was stationed at our engineer's office for a bit and they were off Line 2 so my Line 11 to Line 2 commute wasn't bad and on nice days I'd walk home from Jiaotong University.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I thought you were in XTD while I was in XJU. I chose it primarily because my former employer used to put up our overseas colleagues at the Courtyard and the Managing Director lived in Oriental Manhattan. The office, at the time, was located on Tianlin Lu near Cangwu Lu. I could either take Line 9 or the bus. Wound up taking the bus once I figured it out. Was stationed at our engineer's office for a bit and they were off Line 2 so my Line 11 to Line 2 commute wasn't bad and on nice days I'd walk home from Jiaotong University.
I chose my place because it is close to Line 10, but subsequently discovered that Line 9 is closer by 300 meters. As you know, Xujiahui is one of the largest subway stations in the world, so Lines 1 and 11 are a bit of a hike. XTD is extremely expensive these days, and I'm not talking about only rent.

Back on topic, I chastised a Meituan driver for riding on the sidewalk today, and an elderly Chinese lady got my back. Neither of us were fast enough to take his picture, but I will try my best to be more vigilant going forward.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Back on topic, I chastised a Meituan driver for riding on the sidewalk today, and an elderly Chinese lady got my back. Neither of us were fast enough to take his picture, but I will try my best to be more vigilant going forward.
Are delivery bikers/assassins immune from the social credit system?
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: CX, BA
I chose my place because it is close to Line 10, but subsequently discovered that Line 9 is closer by 300 meters. As you know, Xujiahui is one of the largest subway stations in the world, so Lines 1 and 11 are a bit of a hike. XTD is extremely expensive these days, and I'm not talking about only rent.

Moondog - you have as many years experience here in China as I do. On other topics - such as VPN - you advocate usage of abbreviations in an attempt to foil local enforcement agents - despite the fact they have their own accounts with all the major VPN suppliers.

Yet here you are publicly announcing your own one man vigilante group (obviously supported by OAP's!) in trying to rid the pavements of maniacs on electric scooters - showing either that you are foolish or have complete lack of knowledge (or care) of possible consequences - you are neither - use your brain, accept this is China - or leave before they request / force you to.........

Take more care
889 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EMIC
Moondog - you have as many years experience here in China as I do. On other topics - such as VPN - you advocate usage of abbreviations in an attempt to foil local enforcement agents - despite the fact they have their own accounts with all the major VPN suppliers.

Yet here you are publicly announcing your own one man vigilante group (obviously supported by OAP's!) in trying to rid the pavements of maniacs on electric scooters - showing either that you are foolish or have complete lack of knowledge (or care) of possible consequences - you are neither - use your brain, accept this is China - or leave before they request / force you to.........

Take more care
I appreciate your advice, and agree that this a tender topic. But, now that I know that it's illegal, I am willing to invest a limited amount of energy into going after the bad guys, and also their employers.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:20 pm

I don't think moondog is going to be in trouble with the authorities, since delivery drivers are probably not princelings or even middle-class. They are usually just struggling to make ends meet:
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...29%20September.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi
I don't think moondog is going to be in trouble with the authorities, since delivery drivers are probably not princelings or even middle-class. They are usually just struggling to make ends meet:
I'm far less worried about the drivers than their companies. We actually ran a group buying company 10 years ago, which dominated the Shanghai market because, as foreigners, we managed to capture higher end restaurants, but Meituan (which was a partner) murdered us because they raised $200 million in funding (compared with our $2 million). They were able to use this advantage to drop margins to zero. Didi pursued the same strategy in its battle with Uber, and won. My current company doesn't directly compete with Chinese companies, but we still feel the pain; they want our business, and are relentless.
jerry a. laska and tentseller like this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don't believe moondog is looking for trouble. But the way to survive in the Mainland is harmony, even the "fake" kind. So is it a battle worth fighting? It will be entirely up to moondog.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi
As I mentioned in my previous post, pursuing Meituan or SF makes little sense for us, assuming we want to stay in China. But, I have a decent track record (60 %) with the bikers themselves. Some of them still manage to escape, of course. However, if we are vigilant, this problem will go away.

The guy I hounded this afternoon managed to get away, but I'm pretty sure he got the message.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX, BA
As I mentioned in my previous post, pursuing Meituan or SF makes little sense for us, assuming we want to stay in China. But, I have a decent track record (60 %) with the bikers themselves. Some of them still manage to escape, of course. However, if we are vigilant, this problem will go away.

The guy I hounded this afternoon managed to get away, but I'm pretty sure he got the message.
Haha - not offering any more advice................!!! Just remember, you manage to get one driver off the road pavement, and there will always be another 50+ waiting to take their place!

Good luck, but please be careful!
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Bicycles on sidewalks became a complete nonissue during our lockdown because the roads were empty and sidewalks were lined with police tape or green fences.

Now, things are back to normal. As such, I bust one infringer per week. I don't call the police on them; I simply grab pics and send them to their employers.

This afternoon, I decided not to message Eleme on the guy who wanted me out of his way because he explained that he would risk losing his job if it weren't for sidewalk riding. He also told me that bike lanes are often dangerous, and many streets don't even have them.

I think nearly all of us would be willing to wait an extra 10 minutes for deliveries if this sacrifice would keep pedestrians at ease, but I'm not convinced that the bosses share our sentiments.
tauphi, Palal and Cryofern like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:33 pm
formerly rt23456p

Was in Shanghai last week, surprising to see the totally different biking policy compared to Guangzhou.

In Guangzhou, bikes typically stay on pavements unless not possible due to being too narrow or unable to cross a street without going down a pedestrian tunnel/bridge. While in Shanghai you stay on the bike lane most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.