Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving Chinese people English names and vv

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
On that, there is something more interesting - The official translation policy is not consistent. For example, from Margaret Thatcher to Boris Johnson, each PM's translation varies. Some, like Margaret Thatcher, has the last name translated only (which seems to be the norm for everywhere). Some, like Theresa May, has the entire name translated.
Don’t forget about the great one himself. 特朗普 or if you prefer, 川普。
Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
When I Google him, I get this: 唐納·川普

The Tang makes him just another Candy

I would have advised him to go with 天平德
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
On that, there is something more interesting - The official translation policy is not consistent. For example, from Margaret Thatcher to Boris Johnson, each PM's translation varies. Some, like Margaret Thatcher, has the last name translated only (which seems to be the norm for everywhere). Some, like Theresa May, has the entire name translated.
​There were no translation policy aside from three characters.

Rumours has it that most of these were done at the FCCHK bar.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I prefer Trump, as it is easier to pronounce than Chinese.

Originally Posted by moondog
I would have advised him to go with 天平德
Donald Duck?

Originally Posted by tentseller
​There were no translation policy aside from three characters.

Rumours has it that most of these were done at the FCCHK bar.
FCCHK did not do most of them. Many foreign ministries or local consulate do those.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
scores 98 points in terms of fengshui (v an average of 70)
How are these calculated?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:37 pm

I think the point is to make the name sound Chinese. With Thatcher, it has enough syllables to resemble a normal Chinese name while May is just too short by itself.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:07 am

You want to know a real bad name? There is a Chinese business executive, whose Chinese name, not even English, literally mean rice bucket (rice bucket is an insulting word for those are lack abilities/unable to get things done).
Um... crap...
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
Um... crap...
Don't worry...this only happens in Chinese...
Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
How are these calculated?
I never asked my friend about the website she used, but I'm guessing the weighting is 20% surname, and 80% given name. Foreigners are at an advantage in this system because we have complete control over all three characters, and can freely invent the surname.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

At the IFC in Hong Kong back in 2007, some woman at the concierge desk was named Creamy Wu.

Being a teacher in China meant I came across some real noggin-scratchers, with Wallace and Ibrahimovic (a Swedish footballer) being commonplace at the time.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I never asked my friend about the website she used, but I'm guessing the weighting is 20% surname, and 80% given name. Foreigners are at an advantage in this system because we have complete control over all three characters, and can freely invent the surname.
Thanks, moondog. I am 温振夫 in Chinese class. Our instructor gave names to those of us who didn't already have a Chinese name. The initials of each character resemble the sounds of my name in English.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tauphi
I think the point is to make the name sound Chinese. With Thatcher, it has enough syllables to resemble a normal Chinese name while May is just too short by itself.
HUH? Many Chinese names are short words of one syllable.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Thanks, moondog. I am 温振夫 in Chinese class. Our instructor gave names to those of us who didn't already have a Chinese name. The initials of each character resemble the sounds of my name in English.
Your name has a nice ring to me, but as previously mentioned, I don't have the capacity to evaluate fengshui.

I no longer have contact with the friend who plugged my name into the website because she is an ex of one of my close friends, and they are not on good terms.

I'm guessing that the same, or at least a similar, website exists today.

I searched on Google, and this only revealed articles about naming strategies. If you --or anyone else-- wants to find an actual fengshui scoring website, I suggest searching on baidu using the following terms:
风水 名字 分
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
My Chinese name (裴吉瑞) was determined when I got to my Shanghai office. It's not a direct phonetic translation of my last name as we switched the last two characters.

I've worked with a number of Chinese folks during my career. It always seemed that the women chose "old lady names" (Shirley, Grace, etc.) while the men weren't all that uncommon (Jason, Derek, etc.).
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
My Chinese name (裴吉瑞) was determined when I got to my Shanghai office. It's not a direct phonetic translation of my last name as we switched the last two characters.

I've worked with a number of Chinese folks during my career. It always seemed that the women chose "old lady names" (Shirley, Grace, etc.) while the men weren't all that uncommon (Jason, Derek, etc.).
1. My grandma's name was Beaula, and my mother's name is Betty; both remain on my list because they are unique
2. As far as guys are concerned, there is nothing comparable to "Lilly" or "Candy", but I do have 15 "Stevens"
3. I will let you guys know when we have the next Marmaduke, Marmadutchess, or Beaula
4. Betty is boring by comparison, but is far better than Liz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.