Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Domestic flights in China resume - how are they managing health and safety?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic flights in China resume - how are they managing health and safety?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by xooz
Back to OP's question, for example, are Chinese airlines maintaining social distancing in seating in some way? Do they have to show some sort of "health score" or something to board? That is what I thought OP was asking.
Thank you xooz, yes, that is what I was wondering more though it is interesting to hear the other information as well.
My original question was more with regards to flying and to see if airlines in China have found a way to start operating more and more flights again in a way that is deemed to be acceptable during times of the corona virus.

It looks like only time will tell at this point.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Thank you xooz, yes, that is what I was wondering more though it is interesting to hear the other information as well.
My original question was more with regards to flying and to see if airlines in China have found a way to start operating more and more flights again in a way that is deemed to be acceptable during times of the corona virus.

It looks like only time will tell at this point.
TMK, domestic schedules have only been reduced by about 40% in aggregate. While CAAC does operate in a more top down manner than its counterparts in other countries, basic economic principles still play a significant role in airline operational decisions. In other words, it's a reasonably safe bet that flights will be added back when/if demand warrants.

I'm not aware of any specific social distancing measures.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:29 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog

I'm not aware of any specific social distancing measures.
Pay for empty seats.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...istancing/amp/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor...istancing/amp/

Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Had a domestic trip last at the end of last month. HRB-PEK return. With the disclaimer that any of this can change at any time, this was the rough experience:
- at HRB departures, the entry explosives check was also the scan QR health code and temperature check.
- face masks mandatory.
- special lane for Beijing flights at security, largely repeating the procedure when entering the airport
- at boarding, temperature once again taken.

On board, there wasn't actually much difference from before. The obvious one was everyone wearing face masks. The FAs also wore gloves. Meal service was a pre-packed box in Y, which is what I've usually got on this route anyway. Only difference was that everyone just got a bottle of water rather than a choice of soft drinks served from communal bottles in plastic cups.

There were no obvious attempts at social distancing. Many middle seats were empty, but that could just have been because the number of passengers on board allowed that anyway. I think it was about 60%-70% full in Y.

On the way back, things in PEK seemed less stringent than in HRB
- temperature checks at entry. Masks again mandatory.
- temperature taken once again at security and at boarding.
- temperature also taken at CA lounge. Buffet still operating (had a decent meal there actually), but all utensils were single use disposable rather than the proper plates and things like before.
- asked at boarding if I was transferring from an international flight (I don't look Chinese)
- a group of police on this flight meant that the load factor was pretty much 100% on this leg
- meal service same as outbound

Didn't get upgraded once.

At HRB, people had to scan/register for the local health code and then were sent to various desks depending on where they live/were staying in Harbin.
- questioned about where I had been
- scanned local QR code
- temperature taken
- mobile phone date used to verify that I hadn't been to any "high risk locations", presumably Hubei and/or overseas. (see below for more info)
- free to go home

Originally Posted by xooz
Back to OP's question, for example, are Chinese airlines maintaining social distancing in seating in some way? Do they have to show some sort of "health score" or something to board? That is what I thought OP was asking.
Social distancing? No. In a way, I fully understand. If we're all meant to be keeping 1.5 - 2 meters away from each other, how on earth are you meant to achieve that on a 737 or 320? The 50 cm max that you get by leaving the middle seat empty isn't adequate. This also ignores that the two aisle passengers are also well under 1.5 - 2 meters apart. They might even be closer together than the window and aisle passengers. Like I said above, my PEK-HRB flight was pretty much 100% full.

There are health codes and temperature checks (although you probably won't make it past the front door of departures without passing those, let alone the boarding gate).

Face masks mandatory.

I've heard that there is a native health code app in use here, but I don't know anyone personally who has dared to download it (i.e. better take our chances with the devils we know than the new kid in on the block).

I used the Wechat implementation when I was actually doing my quarantine because I felt the process for temperature reporting was a little smoother than Alipay, but I switched to Alipay after that because there is no need to fumble with the Miniprogram.

While I'm not sure how servers are allocated for the program, I was operating under the assumption that local governments were responsible for this.
The systems and rules in place vary from province to province. Here in Harbin, the health code (a "mini app" that is part of WeChat) is pretty much universal for entering any public place and business. Many places will also take your temperature when entering. That said, when I was in Beijing, I didn't need to use any app at all to enter shops, use public transport, etc.

Essentially, there's no single "China" health app. To borrow a classic, "check your local guides".

Originally Posted by Deltus
My only experience of it is on entry to that restaurant, I had to scan a QR code in WeChat. It launched a mini-programme, I had to enter my Chinese mobile number, got a text verification code, and then it gave me a big green icon with an up arrow. It was all in Chinese and I've no idea what I agreed to or what it told me, but that seemed to satisfy the 服务员 on the door.

Edit: and no, I don't have a Chinese ID number, and it didn't ask me for any ID information.
By the sounds of it, you were probably using a service from one of the three mobile phone companies that uses your SIM card metadata to show where you have been for the last 14 days (city level only). Information about it is in this article.
yvrcnx and percysmith like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by seanpodge
The systems and rules in place vary from province to province. Here in Harbin, the health code (a "mini app" that is part of WeChat) is pretty much universal for entering any public place and business. Many places will also take your temperature when entering. That said, when I was in Beijing, I didn't need to use any app at all to enter shops, use public transport, etc.
The core of the system is national, and I've heard that both Alibaba and Tencent provide access in all cities where it is used. However, customizations were/are required in order to account for localized computer systems and data handling (e.g. police, hospitals).
Old May 2, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baroqen
[OMNI comment redacted by mod] Their highly developed surveillance state capabilities have actually enabled travel. Every single person is required to have an app that tracks them similarly to the current Apple/Google project, except without any privacy protections, Before you can use pretty much any public service and probably even most private services, you must show your app showing that you are "green" for low risk. If you are yellow for moderate risk or red for high risk, you are supposed to be self-quarantining. I'm not sure about any additional restricions between yellow and red, but I understand you're not allowed to use almost any service if you are either one. This is not an "opt-in" type service as proposed by Google and Apple. You download the app, or you are basically restricted from being able to do anything or go anywhere. On the other hand... the app has enabled the government to deem some people "low risk", and they are now able to travel and go about their lives freely. It has also enabled pretty much everyone in the entire country to find out if they were potentially exposed, because the app is required.

And yes... almost every person has a smart phone. It's difficult to survive in China without one, as it's a requirement for banking and certain other government services. The advent of the coronavirus has only increased the need for every person to have a cell phone.
What do smart phones cost in mainland China, initially and for the continuing service? What happens to those who cannot afford a smartphone?
Old May 2, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What do smart phones cost in mainland China, initially and for the continuing service? What happens to those who cannot afford a smartphone?
There are very basic low cost phones, and a very healthy market in refurbished handsets - from a few 10s of £. Ongoing costs are low for low usage, single digit £ per month.

Whilst I cannot say smartphones are universal, they are very very very prevalent. Even in the small villages I have been to kids and grandparents all have a smartphone, although it might be beaten up and far from new.

Smartphones underpin their cashless systems WeChatpay and Alipay that even a streetside vendor of their own produce from their own farm or field would be expected to have now. It is possible to pay with cash but it's rapidly decreasing...

​​​​​​The government and private businesses almost expect everyone to have a China mobile number although it doesn't have to be a smartphone - many service interactions in China use SMS text messages to authenticate yourself (you need government ID to get a local SIM card) - there is a very strong principal of know your customer in China and SMS is a valid way to assert this.

Mobile phones and smartphones are very ubiquitous in China. Where you don't have one personally I would wager you have a family member who does and acts as your proxy phone.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Seeing that right now it is impossible to travel anywhere without being denied into a country or even boarding, I wonder how domestic flights in China are being handled and what other airlines around the world can learn from the way they are dealing with allowing people to fly again.

There is so much talk about what would need to happen for people to fly again, like immunity passports, quick tests like Emirates is doing etc.

I am trying to understand how flying in China 2 months after the virus 'peaked' is possible again yet in Europe, North America and other parts of Asia it seems that we are months away from being able to set foot on a plane again.

I am not asking this because I don't agree with any of the measures, though some seem extreme but simply trying to understand why flying in China is possible and how are they actually managing who can check-in, board and fly again and can other airlines around the world copy and learn from what China is doing.

The lockdown in China is very different from most of the western countries. During the darkest moment in Wuhan or Hubei, no one can get out of the "communities", there are people delivering food from the government for each family.
And I believe somehow that could only be applied to China due to how the society and government operate.

And a lot of researcher says: when the COVID-19 will end depends on when it ends in the least developed counties, or when the vaccine comes out. Long way to go.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by pppfrank
The lockdown in China is very different from most of the western countries. During the darkest moment in Wuhan or Hubei, no one can get out of the "communities", there are people delivering food from the government for each family.
And I believe somehow that could only be applied to China due to how the society and government operate.

And a lot of researcher says: when the COVID-19 will end depends on when it ends in the least developed counties, or when the vaccine comes out. Long way to go.
Apart from Hubei, where else has this been the case?
Old May 12, 2020, 10:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Beijing (fast forward to 35 mins of this clip)?

(Do you mean total SAH? I think just before the reporter's district was sealed in from deliveries, they were allowed between 1 and 3 trips a week out of their community)

Last edited by percysmith; May 12, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Old May 12, 2020, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Beijing (fast forward to 35 mins of this clip)?
We had a version of the exit card slip process in effect here for about 2 weeks, but it was hardly a big deal, and there were many workarounds. It was phased out when health codes grew in popularity (also not strictly enforced, for the most part).
Old May 13, 2020, 11:04 pm

We had a version of the exit card slip process in effect here for about 2 weeks, but it was hardly a big deal, and there were many workarounds. It was phased out when health codes grew in popularity (also not strictly enforced, for the most part).
Indeed, I think the lock-down wasn't "hard" in any of the major cities but certain hot-spots like Wenzhou were a lot more stringent. Another fact often overlooked is that Wuhan was one of the last cities in China to enter lock-down in this fashion. While it was cordoned off very early on, people were actually free to travel around the city up until some time in February.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That is Hubei-only situation. In other cities, unnecessary business keeps closed during Jan and Feb. People need the certificate to get in their communities. Deliveries not allowed in communities. No travel nor gathering(strictly enforced).

Right now, people have been working for a month or two. But everyone is still wearing a mask and try to do social distancing if then can.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:49 am

That is Hubei-only situation. In other cities, unnecessary business keeps closed during Jan and Feb. People need the certificate to get in their communities. Deliveries not allowed in communities. No travel nor gathering(strictly enforced).

Right now, people have been working for a month or two. But everyone is still wearing a mask and try to do social distancing if then can.
Since few of us visit Wuhan on a regular basis, let alone live there, their lockdown policies aren't especially relevant.

I can only speak for Shanghai because I haven't left in three months, but I haven't encountered any procedures or policies that were more than a minor inconvenience (e.g. some bars were closed for few weeks in March).
Old May 14, 2020, 10:06 pm

Since few of us visit Wuhan on a regular basis, let alone live there, their lockdown policies aren't especially relevant.

I can only speak for Shanghai because I haven't left in three months, but I haven't encountered any procedures or policies that were more than a minor inconvenience (e.g. some bars were closed for few weeks in March).
Shanghai certainly hasn't been very tough on the lock-down front. But it's not business as usual either. For example, I had a friend drop by my house recently to pick something up for me as I'm still stuck overseas. They were stopped by the guard at the entrance until I could call the management office to let them through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.