Wiki Posts
Search

New Visa rules 27th April??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA
New Visa rules 27th April??

Started process this morning to renew my Q1 visa in China. Plenty of time before current one expires, but as they keep your passport for 10-21 days, thought now would be ideal time to action it.

Spoke to lady in local Entry / Exit office, who I have dealt with 3 times previously, and she stated nothing could be done at present because of some BIG changes in the visa processing, which starts from April 27th.

This lady is one of those rare gems, she has been extremely helpful and knowledgeable in the past.

Now, as with all Chinese, her terminology of BIG, could mean an extra line being added to a form, or a completely new set of rules....................

She / her office deal primarily with Q1 and work visas / changes / extensions, as opposed to the 1 or 2 year multi entry business visas which are predominantly actioned outside of the country.

No more information at present, but maybe a heads up for anyone wanting to apply for new visas in the near future.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:58 am

I though that they were not issuing visas now?
Where is it that they kept your passport for up to 3 weeks for a Q visa? Around here it just takes a few days.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EMIC
Started process this morning to renew my Q1 visa in China. Plenty of time before current one expires, but as they keep your passport for 10-21 days, thought now would be ideal time to action it.

Spoke to lady in local Entry / Exit office, who I have dealt with 3 times previously, and she stated nothing could be done at present because of some BIG changes in the visa processing, which starts from April 27th.

This lady is one of those rare gems, she has been extremely helpful and knowledgeable in the past.

Now, as with all Chinese, her terminology of BIG, could mean an extra line being added to a form, or a completely new set of rules....................

She / her office deal primarily with Q1 and work visas / changes / extensions, as opposed to the 1 or 2 year multi entry business visas which are predominantly actioned outside of the country.

No more information at present, but maybe a heads up for anyone wanting to apply for new visas in the near future.
I'm not familiar with Q1s, but having dealt with exit/entry offices both directly and via third party agents, I definitely recommend the latter, even during normal times. At first, the fees seemed outrageous to me, but I now see value:
-(almost) no need for me to worry about things after the engagement
-fewer trips to the entry/exit office in person (it's nearly impossible to avoid at least one, unfortunately)
-impossible to forget or mess up any of the required documents
-they have far better guanxi with the entry/exit people than almost all of us mere mortals ---> increased odds of getting favorable terms (e.g. 5 years v 1 or 2 years, fast turnaround times)
-the agents I know don't charge a retainer, so they have incentive to get things done as quickly as possible

Note: My comments above apply to using agents inside of China for assistance fulfilling complex application requirements (very easy to screw up), not to agents in other countries that are really just document runners with offices near PRC consulates.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
why ?? misleading IMO

A Q1 visa is for family of Chinese nationals who reside in China.
Why am I detailing this? Its because I find the subject of your new thread very misleading!
There are thousands of us who have travel visas to/from China. It seems to me that the your visa question is miniscule by comparison. Why post here?
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:39 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Q1 Visa Requirements
2018/03/15

Introduction Family Reunion Visa

Q1 visa is issued to
  1. Those who are family members of Chinese citizens
  2. or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for a long-term family reunion
    Visa applicant should be located in the U.S. but not in mainland China while the application is submitted.

3. or to those who intend to go to China for the purposes of foster care (intended duration of stay in China exceeding 180 days).

(5) For family reunion, the following documents are required:

(a) An invitation letter issued by a Chinese citizen or a foreign citizen with a Chinese permanent residence permit who lives in China. The invitation letter should contain:

· Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)

· Information on the visit ( purpose of visit, intended arrival date, place(s) of intended residence, intended duration of residence, arrival and departure dates, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

· Information on the inviting individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of legal representative or the inviting individual, etc.)

(b) Photocopy of Chinese ID of the inviting individual or foreign passport and permanent residence permit.

(c) Original and photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) showing the relationship of family members between applicant and inviting individual.

"Family members" refers to spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.

(6) For foster care, the following documents are required:

(a) Foster entrustment notarization issued by Chinese Embassies/Consulates General in foreign countries or Foster Care Power of Attorney notarized and authenticated in the country of residence or in China

(b) Original and photocopy of the consignor's passport(s), as well as the original and photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) notarized and authenticated certification showing the relationship between parents or guardians and children.

(c) A letter of consent on foster care issued by the trustee living in China who has agreed to provide foster care services and a photocopy of the ID of the trustee.

(d) A photocopy of the certificate indicating the permanent residence status abroad of the parent(s) when the child was born, provided that either or both parents of the child are Chinese citizens.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Q1 not applicable to many - the information was regarding possible changes in visa systems - what will that entail - like you - have absolutely no idea.

However, for a board that has many people interested in travel - of which a visa might be an integral piece to their jigsaw - information is always useful - well, to most people. To others - just don't bother replying if nothing of value.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
2018/03/15
Q1 visa is issued to
  1. Those who are family members of Chinese citizens
  2. or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for a long-term family reunion
    Visa applicant should be located in the U.S. but not in mainland China while the application is submitted.
In what scenarios would someone with PR need a visa?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
I though that they were not issuing visas now?
Where is it that they kept your passport for up to 3 weeks for a Q visa? Around here it just takes a few days.
As far as I was aware, this applied 'outside' China, until conversation yesterday.

Guangdong - 1st time 8 days, 2nd time 11 days, quoting 15days maximum. Think 2nd time coincided with a holiday period.

Colleague applying first time last year - 20 days.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
In what scenarios would someone with PR need a visa?
The text was copied from China consulate.
If you read between the lines the upcoming changes will most likely exclude family members that are not ethnic chinese, "Han Chinese".
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
The text was copied from China consulate.
If you read between the lines the upcoming changes will most likely exclude family members that are not ethnic chinese, "Han Chinese".
I am puzzled trying to see what you are 'reading between the lines'????

Unless there is new regulation being brought in that nullifies or restricts visiting for all mixed marriages?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:19 am

It's simple only citizens and those qualified to become a citizen are allowed entry.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:24 am

"If you read between the lines the upcoming changes will most likely exclude family members that are not ethnic chinese, 'Han Chinese.'"

That Han Chinese and the Chinese minorities are all "Chinese" is one of the basic principles of the Chinese state.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:34 am

I'm thinking hua ren not zhongguo ren.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by EMIC
As far as I was aware, this applied 'outside' China, until conversation yesterday.

Guangdong - 1st time 8 days, 2nd time 11 days, quoting 15days maximum. Think 2nd time coincided with a holiday period.

Colleague applying first time last year - 20 days.
My better half always gets the Q visa. Never took more than 4-5 days (applying in Canada). Same as a tourist visa. This is why I asked where you apply that would take so long.
Obviously if you are missing some documents then it can take longer....
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:41 pm

Obviously, nobody knows the future. If new visa rules are announced then we'll all find out at the same time. As I said, they are not even issuing visas now. So issuing visas again would be newsworthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.