Wiki Posts
Search

Any problems with packages from China?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any problems with packages from China?

Her sister was going to send some stuff--we find it's now limited to 2kg and they were worried about the US rejecting it and having to pay to ship it back.

Paranoia or is there actually an issue?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Her sister was going to send some stuff--we find it's now limited to 2kg and they were worried about the US rejecting it and having to pay to ship it back.

Your post is not exactly clear.

AFAICT, postal packages have been impacted significantly (due to lack of commercial flights). So I would not be surprised if there was an imposed limit. But I was not able to find any related information. But for sure - all postal packages are subject to delay, as surface mail (ship) is the only available way now. UPS/FedEx are not impacted as both of them have their own fleets. SF Express is an uncertainty (as its fleet does not fly to the U.S. and SF Express uses UPS network in the U.S.)

Package rejection/return depends on the content. Generally, a package will not be rejected or returned if the content complies all the requirements and have an actual person to receive.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I shipped two bottles of wine to the US several weeks ago with SF. No issues.

SF might not have its own fleet, but the convenience and low prices offset this for me. Plus, I'm guessing they've purchased space on the Delta cargo flights from here to DTW.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:55 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Have had no problem with UPS and FedEx shipments. On a recent 200 kg FedEx shipment a few of the boxes had a US inspection sticker on them and were delayed for a few days. Don't know purpose of inspection...never seen that sticker before..not US customs inspection tape.

Seems factories all caught up now. Problem is now no new orders as rest of world shutdown.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:28 am

PPE inspection.

Customers complaining about receiving defective or mislabeled products.

NYT
BEIJING — Chinese officials have begun inspecting every shipment of N95 respirators, ventilators and other medical supplies for quality issues before export, a policy likely to delay the arrival of critical gear at hospitals around the world that are struggling to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
PPE inspection.

Customers complaining about receiving defective or mislabeled products.

NYT
BEIJING — Chinese officials have begun inspecting every shipment of N95 respirators, ventilators and other medical supplies for quality issues before export, a policy likely to delay the arrival of critical gear at hospitals around the world that are struggling to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.
Since the OP didn't mention PPE, it didn't cross my mind that this could be an issue. But, I wouldn't ship any PPE from here to the US myself because it gets inspected (with backlogs) at least twice during the journey, and can be rejected at at any point.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:59 am

I think gloves..goggles..shields should be ok
Face coverings required in certain US areas..but no specs on those.

Issue is fake n95 masks.
Haven't heard of fake ventilators.

Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:17 am

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the OP is not trying to get masks shipped to him from friends in China.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:40 am

Seems most popular "stuff" out of China now are respirators.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/user...rfeitResp.html

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Apr 11, 2020 at 11:49 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by moondog
SF might not have its own fleet...
SF does have its own fleet. But its fleet is too small, which can barely serve Mainland China only.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
My in-laws in Liaoning province (NE China) sent a package with masks to my family in Eastern Europe (EU) via China Post.

I am not sure what type of service they chose but it took 5 days to get to Beijing, then a week or so to Chongqing, and a week later it went through a former Soviet Republic, followed by a scan in Moscow shortly thereafter. Makes me wonder what mode of transportation they are using.

This is the first time they've shipped anything between these two locations, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it looks like it'll take at least a month which seems rather slow.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had several small packages with masks shipped to la and they all ended up arriving but on different days with strange routing.. a pack shipped to russia a week later is still showing as in china..
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The paranoia thing would be funny, given that the US has nearly a ~30x higher per capita Covid19 infection rate compared to China.

That's taking data in the public domain at face value anyway (and anything beyond that would be pure speculation).
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:43 pm

Haven't heard of any instance of package to human transmission. as yet.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:58 pm

Loren Pechtel Please let us know if your shipping mission is mask related when you have a chance. If it is, I'll offer additional thoughts on that specific topic (e.g. why I wouldn't do it). But. masks or not, we've getting additional scrutiny from customs on both ends recently, so ensuring compliance is more important than usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.