Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Kunming and Xiamen?

Which hotel in Kunming and Xiamen?

Old Dec 23, 19, 5:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,317
Which hotel in Kunming and Xiamen?

Anyone here with suggestions of an IHG, Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt Hotel to stay in Kunming and Xiamen? I'm not familiar with either cities. Ideally, the hotel should be close to transit/subway and not difficult to get to the airport. I also wouldn't mind if the hotels are close to the airport.

Thank you.
lsquare is online now  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:18 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,532
Many good hotels in XMN, but my go-to is the Sheraton. Good location ( for me) , less than 15 minute 25-odd yuan ride to airport,
excellent lounge, and never missed a suite upgrade ( in 30+ stays).

If going as a first-time tourist, you may want to stay on Gulangyu, but the city is compact enough that you can stay anywhere and get around easily.

Sorry, never stayed overnight in KMG, only day transits so no recommendations.
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:23 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,317
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Many good hotels in XMN, but my go-to is the Sheraton. Good location ( for me) , less than 15 minute 25-odd yuan ride to airport,
excellent lounge, and never missed a suite upgrade ( in 30+ stays).

If going as a first-time tourist, you may want to stay on Gulangyu, but the city is compact enough that you can stay anywhere and get around easily.

Sorry, never stayed overnight in KMG, only day transits so no recommendations.
Yea, I read about Gulangyu, but I really don't know much about XMN. I'll be "nearby" since I'll be in HKG. I want to visit for a day or two. How did you get from the airport to the Sheraton? I'm assuming taxi? Does XMN have a subway system? If so, I'm assuming they have their own fare card as well?
lsquare is online now  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,532
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Yea, I read about Gulangyu, but I really don't know much about XMN. I'll be "nearby" since I'll be in HKG. I want to visit for a day or two. How did you get from the airport to the Sheraton? I'm assuming taxi? Does XMN have a subway system? If so, I'm assuming they have their own fare card as well?
I use taxis exclusively in Xiamen - cheap and no rip-off drivers ( just have the address written in Mandarin).
There is a subway system, but it just opened in the past year or so, and I have not had the opportunity to try it.
Taxis are cheap and plentiful.
lsquare likes this.
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:41 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,317
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
I use taxis exclusively in Xiamen - cheap and no rip-off drivers ( just have the address written in Mandarin).
There is a subway system, but it just opened in the past year or so, and I have not had the opportunity to try it.
Taxis are cheap and plentiful.
Although I have never been to XMN before, I've had nothing but bad experiences with taxis. They're all looking to rip me off and make money. That's why I avoid them unless I absolutely need them.
lsquare is online now  
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:35 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 32,958
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Although I have never been to XMN before, I've had nothing but bad experiences with taxis. They're all looking to rip me off and make money. That's why I avoid them unless I absolutely need them.
If you're worried about taxis using rigged meters or taking circuitous routes (I'm not worried about this myself), why not use Didi instead?
moondog is online now  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:05 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,317
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
If you're worried about taxis using rigged meters or taking circuitous routes (I'm not worried about this myself), why not use Didi instead?
I never used it in China before (believe it or not). Can I set it up with a foreign credit card like Grab?
lsquare is online now  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:22 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 32,958
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I never used it in China before (believe it or not). Can I set it up with a foreign credit card like Grab?
Yes.
lsquare likes this.
moondog is online now  
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:57 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: EDI
Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Yea, I read about Gulangyu, but I really don't know much about XMN. I'll be "nearby" since I'll be in HKG. I want to visit for a day or two. How did you get from the airport to the Sheraton? I'm assuming taxi? Does XMN have a subway system? If so, I'm assuming they have their own fare card as well?
I stayed with my wife in the Hotel Indigo, Xiamen last September and it was fine. Very close to the sea front and also convenient for the airport (via a very long tunnel). With regard to Gulangyu, it is very Chinese and not so easy for Westerners to get to because of restricted ferry access. I also would not want to take heavy baggage onto the island as it is primarily traffic free. Much better to visit Gulangyu as a day trip.
lsquare likes this.
Ardecos is offline  
Old Jan 5, 20, 2:21 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,317
Originally Posted by Ardecos View Post
I stayed with my wife in the Hotel Indigo, Xiamen last September and it was fine. Very close to the sea front and also convenient for the airport (via a very long tunnel). With regard to Gulangyu, it is very Chinese and not so easy for Westerners to get to because of restricted ferry access. I also would not want to take heavy baggage onto the island as it is primarily traffic free. Much better to visit Gulangyu as a day trip.
Can you elaborate on that please?
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 5, 20, 2:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: EDI
Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Can you elaborate on that please?
The shortest ferry ride is only five minutes but that is only for Gulangyu Island residents until after 7 pm. Everyone else has to use the Dongdu international cruise ship terminal and this is a 20 minute trip. Apparently it can be very crowded and so may not have same-day tickets available. Having said that, when we were there in September we just went to the terminal around 10 am and were able to buy tickets for the next sailing. Note that you will need your passport to buy a ticket, unless you are a Chinese citizen.
lsquare likes this.
Ardecos is offline  
Old Jan 5, 20, 2:46 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,317
Originally Posted by Ardecos View Post
The shortest ferry ride is only five minutes but that is only for Gulangyu Island residents until after 7 pm. Everyone else has to use the Dongdu international cruise ship terminal and this is a 20 minute trip. Apparently it can be very crowded and so may not have same-day tickets available. Having said that, when we were there in September we just went to the terminal around 10 am and were able to buy tickets for the next sailing. Note that you will need your passport to buy a ticket, unless you are a Chinese citizen.
Is there a reason why going to Gulangyu is this difficult? I think I'm going to heed your advice there. I don't want to be dragging my 28" suitcase to Gulangyu.
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Posts: 3,880
The more convenient Gulangyu ferry hauls a lot of freight during the day. Many locals depend on it for their livelihoods, carrying literally chickens and vegetables on their shoulders to the markets on both sides. IIRC, the locals' fare is only about USD$1 roundtrip. I surmise that tourists are required to use the other ferry to reduce the traffic bottleneck as well as extract more money from them.

I enjoyed Gulangyu immensely, but only because I wanted 2 full days of quietness and it was the perfect place for it. In the evening and early morning, you can really feel to have the island all to yourself -- and the cats. There are lots of them on the island.
lsquare likes this.
sinoflyer is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ PPS
Posts: 845
Stayed at the Sofitel in Kunming this week. Positive experience all around and I recall the price wasn't bad either. Staff were really nice. Worth noting they have a decent gym as well. I guess Sofitel doesn't meet the criteria above but in any case I liked the hotel. Ride to/from airport was around 30min I recall. Joy City mall was around 20min walk from the hotel.

Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza City Centre a few times as well. Perfectly fine but a little less polished than the Sofitel. Perfectly adequate but more patience required... Nice area for walking in my books. Again, car to/from airport around 30min.
lsquare likes this.
nanyang is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:50 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,532
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Although I have never been to XMN before, I've had nothing but bad experiences with taxis. They're all looking to rip me off and make money. That's why I avoid them unless I absolutely need them.
Just checked into the Sheraton Xiamen - it was a 10 minute 23 RMB taxi ride in heavy traffic.
First time I've stayed here and not gotten a suite upgrade - they cite heavy occupancy.
lsquare likes this.
IluvSQ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: