Search

Hainan Island Stopover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Hainan Island Stopover

It’s not as easy to find current information about the Island of Hainan as I thought. I’m planning in mostly using public transportation but there is limited information on buses and such. I tried to find bus map but no luck. I use google fi and have both an apple and android device with me so, i'm assuming once the maps region lock is open upon arrival in china then i can figure out the bus directions? I downloaded DiDi as well and added my credit card so, i may have to try that too even though i don't speak Chinese.

Does the following sound like a good plan?

10/5: Arrival in Haikou from Beijing on domestic flight at 2:25 PM on Saturday 10/5.

High Speed rail from Meilan airport station to Sanya. I plan to pre-book ticket via travelchinaguide for 1 hour after arrival (flight seems to consistently be on time). I’m assuming booking next available train via kiosk requires Chinese ID?

I figure I should get a hotel near the city or Dadonghai Beach since its closer to tourist attractions and most of the day is already gone by the time I arrive.

10/6: Wake up early, check out and catch bus to Nanshan temple. Spend a few hours walking around. After lunch take bus to Yalong bay. Check into a resort hotel and just spend the rest of the day on the beach. I guess I should do some shopping before to avoid paying resort prices.

10/7: Spend the morning hanging out at the beach. After check-out, take bus to Luhuitou Park. After a few hours find my way back to Sanya Railway station to take train back to Haikou?

10/8 (well late 10/7) Departure from Haikou to Sydney on Intl flight at 1:30 AM on Tuesday 10/8
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No comment except for the train tickets.

Trains depart from Meilan to Sanya every 20 minutes in average. I don't see how booking a ticket in advance will help you, especially you don't book the tickets from an official source.

I would just arrive at the train station and book the next available instead.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CDKing

Does the following sound like a good plan?

10/5: Arrival in Haikou from Beijing on domestic flight at 2:25 PM on Saturday 10/5.
I didn't have to read beyond "10/5" (but, I did) in order to form an opinion....no, going to Sanya during a golden week doesn't strike me as a good plan.

In tact, I'd avoid Hainan altogether if the Sydney flight isn't already locked in, but if you do end up going there, I'd look into places other than Sanya, such as the less developed western side of the island, and even some of the minority villages in the middle.

With respect to train tickets, I suggest finding a place to buy them when you're in Beijing if convenient.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well crap, back to the drawing board it is.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:42 am

Well crap, back to the drawing board it is.
I didn't mean to be that much of a downer. Sanya will be too crowded for my tastes, but at least there's a finite number of hotel rooms there. So, if your determined to go there, and can secure accommodation, don't let me stop you. It's just that my personal approach to travel during CNY and National Day is to focus on destinations that aren't popular among Chinese people. Xinjiang seems to top this list; Gansu and Qinghai can't be far behind. In my previous post to this thread, I suggested that non-Sanya Hainan might also fall into this category, though I haven't been to the west side since HSR made it so easy to access.

Since you mentioned that you're starting in Beijing, I would advise you to avoid downtown if possible. I'm at a loss for words as to how to describe it, but some visitors from the hinterlands cherish rare opportunities to harass foreigners.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Sounds like a great stopover plan, from what I heard. Sanya have some nice beaches, and there's quite a few decent resorts in Sanya, Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, St Regis, Conrad, Park Hyatt, you name it, and the rates are quite reasonable too (if you're not going there in ultra-peak periods)
Enjoy your trip, I reckon you can probably write a trip report on that.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Sounds like a great stopover plan, from what I heard. Sanya have some nice beaches, and there's quite a few decent resorts in Sanya, Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, St Regis, Conrad, Park Hyatt, you name it, and the rates are quite reasonable too (if you're not going there in ultra-peak periods)
Enjoy your trip, I reckon you can probably write a trip report on that.
It doesn't get much more peak than the first week of October.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Would staying in Haikou be any better? It's less popular than Sanya. I used to stay at the Hilton Haikou Meilan as my "break" from China as I was very frequently the only one out at the pools during the bulk of the day but I was never there during a Golden Week.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I didn't mean to be that much of a downer. Sanya will be too crowded for my tastes, but at least there's a finite number of hotel rooms there. So, if your determined to go there, and can secure accommodation, don't let me stop you. It's just that my personal approach to travel during CNY and National Day is to focus on destinations that aren't popular among Chinese people. Xinjiang seems to top this list; Gansu and Qinghai can't be far behind. In my previous post to this thread, I suggested that non-Sanya Hainan might also fall into this category, though I haven't been to the west side since HSR made it so easy to access.

Since you mentioned that you're starting in Beijing, I would advise you to avoid downtown if possible. I'm at a loss for words as to how to describe it, but some visitors from the hinterlands cherish rare opportunities to harass foreigners.
I heard Golden week was to be avoided but some reason I thought it was earlier in the year. Now i learn there are two of them
I should have stuck with my initial plan to go to Urumqi but i felt less confident in my ability get around. I may be saving Xinjiang for another year when i have time to get out to Turpan and Kashgar.
Seeing my luck i just got schedule change notice and flight PEK-AQG-HAK has been cancelled, rebooked to arrive on a direct flight much later in day, so i may consider staying in that area, then maybe push my luck and go to Sanya on Sunday when hopefully everyone is leaving?
Yalong bay hotel price is double normal over the next week but significantly lower Sunday night. Nothing outrageous based on western resort prices. Marriott standard room under $150 USD incl service charge. Sheraton $250 refundable for deluxe ocean front view room.

Beijing is just overnight, I'm thinking just stay at Hilton at the airport so i can sleep in the next morning and now worry about going too far from the airport
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:13 pm

I heard Golden week was to be avoided but some reason I thought it was earlier in the year. Now i learn there are two of them
I should have stuck with my initial plan to go to Urumqi but i felt less confident in my ability get around. I may be saving Xinjiang for another year when i have time to get out to Turpan and Kashgar.
Seeing my luck i just got schedule change notice and flight PEK-AQG-HAK has been cancelled, rebooked to arrive on a direct flight much later in day, so i may consider staying in that area, then maybe push my luck and go to Sanya on Sunday when hopefully everyone is leaving?
Yalong bay hotel price is double normal over the next week but significantly lower Sunday night. Nothing outrageous based on western resort prices. Marriott standard room under $150 USD incl service charge. Sheraton $250 refundable for deluxe ocean front view room.

Beijing is just overnight, I'm thinking just stay at Hilton at the airport so i can sleep in the next morning and now worry about going too far from the airport
A few thoughts:
  • since you already have a room secured at a reasonable rate, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check out Sanya, but I encourage you read up on other places that might be of interest
  • you should still be able to enjoy your night in Beijing as long as you avoid downtown; northeast should be fine
  • the PEK Hilton and Langham are both very nice as far as airport hotels go, but since HU uses T1/T2, they aren't appreciably more convenient than staying off property
  • there are plenty of good options on/near NE 3rd Ring/2nd Ring/4th Ring, including some within walking distance to the Airport Express stations (Sanyuanqiao and Dongzhimen)
  • while I realize that Xinjiang is of almost no relevance to this thread, I will note that I really enjoyed Turpan (a place that I went into with no expectations, and left inspired)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:23 am
Suspended

I was in Sanya during the past golden week but did not find many tourists there. It was a very nice holiday.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guyi0914
I was in Sanya during the past golden week but did not find many tourists there. It was a very nice holiday.
I'm guessing by the suspension this was likely a trolling post

I ended up cancelling because I didnt want to take the risk it was too many people for me. I ended up shortening my time in China. I did same day connect in PEK and spend the day in Shenzhen before heading to Australia. It wasn't too busy there i'm guessing local families that stayed behind. I spent the day in Splendid China @ OCT (i did window of the world my last trip) and then downtown and back to the airport. My flights did seem fairly full.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you ever go there again in the "cold" season, Ba'oa (sp?) of the Devos-like conference is a decent place. Hot springs, great resort buffet at a great price too.

Sanya was interesting for a day. Sort of like Honolulu (be careful of coconuts on the promenade). Just too modern.

HaiKou has a bit more history and character but it is sprawling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.