Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Some kind of guide / best practices for booking Chinese bullet train trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some kind of guide / best practices for booking Chinese bullet train trips?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by qpr
It'll be easier in the future when the e-tickets are offered in whole China and the paper tickets are history.
We'll see if they change how to deal with foreigners. So far foreigners still need paper tickets.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM
I booked mine at travelchinaguide. Same trip in September. Booking was easy and paid via cc on paypal. For $7, they will deliver to your hotel, which ch I s what I opted for. I received a confirmation of booking immediately and an update the following day stating that tickets are released 28-30 days prior to departure date. It said I would receive an update after tickets are confirmed. We will see how it works out.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Stygian7
I booked mine at travelchinaguide. Same trip in September. Booking was easy and paid via cc on paypal. For $7, they will deliver to your hotel, which ch I s what I opted for. I received a confirmation of booking immediately and an update the following day stating that tickets are released 28-30 days prior to departure date. It said I would receive an update after tickets are confirmed. We will see how it works out.
I've done 2 train trips using them, no problem yet. Though I've done the print out and pick up at train station.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I believe trip.com and ctrip are the same company, with trip.com targeting sales outside of China. Anyway, I purchase my domestic China air and rail tickets on Ctrip and it works fine. I personally prefer purchasing all the tickets ahead and picking them up at a rail station at a convenient time after I arrive in China. You can change the rail ticket only once, after which you must refund and repurchase.

China HSR includes not only “G” trains but also “D” trains that make more stops (similar to the distinction between Nozomi and Kodama trains on the Japanese Shinkansen) and “C” trains, which typically operate nonstop and at frequent intervals between two regional cities (e.g., Beijing and Tianjin).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hi All,

I ended up going with trip.com. I figured I would write up some of my experiences below for anyone else who chooses to go down this route...
  • The site was super easy to use and navigate.
  • One confusing part is that you don't choose the number of passengers in the beginning. You add passengers at the end, assuming you want more than one.
  • The site does not tell you what the rate for a child ticket is, but it tells you that it will charge you the adult rate and then refund the difference for a child ticket once the ticket is issued.
  • Making a booking doesn't mean you have a ticket issued. I created a reservation, and it tells me that my train tickets should be issued "on our before August 26" and that I'll get another email once they're confirmed.
  • This also means that being able to book does not mean there is availability. I still don't have tickets, and while I'm pretty far in advance so I feel fine about getting seats, I have not been guaranteed seats.
  • There was no option to select dropoff at hotel or anything like that.
So... Despite the fact that I said it was easy, let's be clear that my credit card is being charged for an amount that we know is not accurate. I should, but not guaranteed, to have tickets by August 26. I will be refunded some amount of money once the tickets are issued. If they can't be issued, they'll refund me the whole thing, but they note it won't quite be the same, due to currency fluctuations. So... yeah... Easy!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:56 pm

Rail tickets are generally available only one month before travel, though sometimes the period is changed by the railway administration. So there's no good reason to book before then.

Otherwise, ctrip normally sends your confirmation within a couple hours.

Note that that China Rail shuts down for online bookings, including bookings by agents, every night from 11pm to 6am Beijing time. So you won't receive confirmations from ctrip during this period.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
So... yeah... Easy!
I'm not sure if you've travelled much in China before, but despite your misgivings (which are all perfectly valid!), the Trip.com process is a walk in the park compared to some of the challenges I've come across on the ground. Trying to secure road transport in rural Yunnan is a different matter entirely!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I have spent about a month in China total over the past ten years, but I have never traveled with my family there before - always business. And I have never done rail travel - just local metro / cab / airplane.
Deltus likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:33 pm

" "on our before August 26" - I don't understand that part. Tickets are issued 30 days ahead of travel date. Sometimes there is a bit of a delay when schedules are being revised or that sort of thing. So it should say "on or after August 26" (assuming that you travel date is September 24.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
" "on our before August 26" - I don't understand that part. Tickets are issued 30 days ahead of travel date. Sometimes there is a bit of a delay when schedules are being revised or that sort of thing. So it should say "on or after August 26" (assuming that you travel date is September 24.
Travel date is Sept 17
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi All,
I ended up going with trip.com. I figured I would write up some of my experiences below for anyone else who chooses to go down this route...
Did you manage to opt out of the insurance? In my experience, ctrip likes to switch up the opt out process on a semi regular basis.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:17 am

Travel date is Sept 17
These tickets will be available August 19. I don't understand why they would wait (at least) an extra week to buy them.
"The site does not tell you what the rate for a child ticket is, but it tells you that it will charge you the adult rate and then refund the difference for a child ticket once the ticket is issued" - also a strange practice as they know the price of child tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.