Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No entry stamp in passport

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

No entry stamp in passport

Arrived into PEK for a first time visit to China on an L visa and I did not get an entry stamp in my passport. My wife does have one in hers. When checking into the hotel the staff looked weirdly at it, but in the end checked us in. We have a couple of domestic flights and hotels stays in Zhangjiajie and Xian before we leave, is the missing stamp going to be a problem for these or leaving the country?

Any advice about what to do about this, should I head back to the airport?
Old May 23, 2019, 4:06 pm

So far as I can gather, to fill in the form hotels need to know the date and port of entry: they always try to read the entry stamp. So I would certainly get this straightened out before leaving Beijing.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that’s what I figured, got the feeling they ended up using my wife’s info. Any suggestions as to the best way to straighten this out, right now I’m at “go to the airport and ask at the information desk...”
Old May 23, 2019, 6:50 pm

“. . . got the feeling they ended up using my wife’s info."

Not sure I understand. I can understand how an official might just forget the stamp, but did they put your passport through the scanner? Did you give fingerprints? If for some difficult-to-accept reason you are not in the system, then I think you're going to have a very long day.

My suggestion would be to find a Chinese speaker, at the front desk if no place else, who can call Airport immigration and ask how you should proceed and -- very importantly -- what documents you should bring, like your boarding pass and hotel registration.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My most recent entry stamp is 2 years old because I don't get stamps anymore. This has never been a problem when staying at hotels.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:44 pm

But you don't travel in China with an L visa, do you?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by 889
But you don't travel in China with an L visa, do you?
Touché; I don't.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if you no longer get stamps you should be printing out the little slips with your date of entry on it after you go through the automated machines. It eases the checking into hotel process immeasurably.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Even if you no longer get stamps you should be printing out the little slips with your date of entry on it after you go through the automated machines. It eases the checking into hotel process immeasurably.
I have a stamp from ~5 months ago (I encountered a checkpoint without eChannel), which I show to hotels, if they ask, but most of the hotels I stay in know me quite well, and don't care.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:38 am

This may vary locally. I just checked into a hotel and all they wanted was a quick shot of the photo page of my passport on their mobile; didn't even look for the visa.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by 889
This may vary locally. I just checked into a hotel and all they wanted was a quick shot of the photo page of my passport on their mobile; didn't even look for the visa.
Sounds a bit dodgy. If this was the only place you're registering at on this trip I would be worried.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:36 pm

Not the first time it's happened.

And as I've mentioned before, when you stay in a hotel it's the hotel's responsibility to register. You're responsible when you don't stay in a hotel. And booking online gives you proof where you stayed if there were a question.

(I remember a notice at one hotel a couple of years ago from the local PSB: If a hotel doesn't register you properly, contact us and we'll pay you a reward.)
Old May 30, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Not the first time it's happened.

And as I've mentioned before, when you stay in a hotel it's the hotel's responsibility to register. You're responsible when you don't stay in a hotel. And booking online gives you proof where you stayed if there were a question.

(I remember a notice at one hotel a couple of years ago from the local PSB: If a hotel doesn't register you properly, contact us and we'll pay you a reward.)
I'm sure legally you'd be OK. But it could result in significant delays at the border should they raise a fuss. I have heard of a recent case where the traveller was delayed by two hours due to a missing registration from a hotel on a trip two years ago. They were sure that they had registered at the hotel but apparently it wasn't in the border force's system.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:57 am

Well, I've been travelling in China for many decades and know a potential problem when I see one. And I don't see one here. (If they hadn't taken my passport photo, which has rarely happened, that might be a different story.)
Old May 31, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
I'm sure legally you'd be OK. But it could result in significant delays at the border should they raise a fuss. I have heard of a recent case where the traveller was delayed by two hours due to a missing registration from a hotel on a trip two years ago. They were sure that they had registered at the hotel but apparently it wasn't in the border force's system.
Why didn't he ask the border control person to simply call the hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.